Hi i'm a new user , so far i'm happy with my blackberry .. currently ... General Blackberry forum

aimkeren no está en línea Stack level 1

Noob Question Using BIS services by other teleco company

Advertisement

Hi i'm a new user , so far i'm happy with my blackberry .. currently i use my local teleco for BIS dataplan, i'm planning to go oustide the country for 4 months, I need to know whether i can use the current BIS account using the other country local teleco or not, because I dont want to use roaming features from the current teleco .. i want to register the local teleco in my destination country and use gprs to access my BIS account..my logic is as long as I'm able to use GPRS or EDGE i can connect to my BIS account right ? doesnt matter if i'm not using the same sim card as in my original BIS account .. so please anyone got any advice ? is this possible or NOT

miles_troope no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: Noob Question Using BIS services by other teleco company

Quote Originally Posted by aimkeren
    Hi i'm a new user , so far i'm happy with my blackberry .. currently i use my local teleco for BIS dataplan, i'm planning to go oustide the country for 4 months, I need to know whether i can use the current BIS account using the other country local teleco or not, because I dont want to use roaming features from the current teleco .. i want to register the local teleco in my destination country and use gprs to access my BIS account..my logic is as long as I'm able to use GPRS or EDGE i can connect to my BIS account right ? doesnt matter if i'm not using the same sim card as in my original BIS account .. so please anyone got any advice ? is this possible or NOT
    It's not quite that simple. The Blackberry data services usually use a distinct Access point on each mobile network. You'd have to make sure which ever provider you went with in your destination supported blackberry and gave you access to their BB APN on their network (usually accomplished by paying them a monthly fee and them adding a service to your line which gives you access).

Even then however, I still don't think this would work, as BIS accounts are linked to specific carriers, I think you have to use that carriers network to access your BIS account.

However, if the network you pick whereever you are going does do Blackberry also, it wouldn't take much to sign up for another BIS account with them and integrate all your emails with that BIS accoutn instead of your 'old' one.

You'd need to be aware that your Blackberry can only be associated with 1 BIS account at any one time though -even between carriers. You'd need to zero the PIN on your current account before going and setting up the new account. Or just delete the account altogether and then set it back up when you return.

Hope this helps.
    Miles.

thanks for the advice .. i guess i just have to reregister for Blackberry services in my destination country ..
    Last edited by aimkeren; 08-03-2007 at 12:28 AM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

But you might want to check with the foreign carrier before you leave. You may not be able to get a BB data plan for just 4 months

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    But you might want to check with the foreign carrier before you leave. You may not be able to get a BB data plan for just 4 months

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~
    ah yes you are right .. thanks i will check that

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

AFAIK no carrier offers BB data on prepaid -- that's the limitation of trying to use a foreign SIM in your BB when abroad.