I was thinking about this earlier, and it seems like this is a good question. ... General Blackberry forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

No more SureType-Non-Cam BB's?

Advertisement

I was thinking about this earlier, and it seems like this is a good question.

With the 7130 going to end of life (reported over the last few days) and the Pearl coming to the CDMA carriers, does this mean we have seen the end of Non Camera Sure Type devices? Or does RIM have something waiting in the wings for us?

From what I have seen, I have yet to read about a "non-camera" suretype device being produced...The hot topic (and only topic) about SureType devices now is the 8100 Pearl series. However, as we all know, all information points to every Pearl being equipped with cameras.

So does this mean that (atleast for the near forseeable future), that if you're company doesn't allow a camera (or you don't want one), that you are going to be stuck with having to use a full qwerty keyboard?

What do you SureType users who don't want or can't have a camera think about that?

The 71 series is non-existant on TMO and Cingular now. The 7130 series is going buh-bye to the CDMA carriers.

Looks as if the only SureType device that hasn't been "officially axed yet" is the 7100 series for Nextel.

What do you all think?

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: No more SureType-Non-Cam BB's?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I find the end of the 7130 series, as well as the lack of promoting them during their abbreviated life span, a huge mistake. While I now own a 8100, 8300 & 8800, they pale in comparison after months of usage & evaluation. An extremely disappointing situation after a year of pure joy & satisfaction with the 7130C & the BB OS. I do not want to walk away but find the declining build quality & trend towards consumer level entertainment devices of no use to me........ feedback anyone?

ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24352F80

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Interesting point addressed here but IMO RIM has a lot of dedicated sure type users that they have to continue to market to. Plus the new Pearl comes with "improved" suretype so I don't think they would take the time to improve something if they planned to phase it out. Maybe a non camera Pearl is on the horizon?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I find the end of the 7130 series, as well as the lack of promoting them during their abbreviated life span, a huge mistake. While I now own a 8100, 8300 & 8800, they pale in comparison after months of usage & evaluation. An extremely disappointing situation after a year of pure joy & satisfaction with the 7130C & the BB OS. I do not want to walk away but find the declining build quality & trend towards consumer level entertainment devices of no use to me........ feedback anyone?
    I agree. I really don't want to leave the BB SureType series either. However, if there aren't going to be anymore non-camera SureType devices and the build quality keeps going to the toilet (I have had 7 SureType BB's...3 7100t's, 2 7105t's and 2 8100's), I will be forced to go to the only other phone I have owned and loved for it's durabiity. In fact, after 1 7105t and 2 Pearls this year, I am currently in negotiation via email with my carrier right now to get a replacement device (I would do it over the phone but I am not at home long enough to do so).

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB

The 71 series is non-existant on TMO and Cingular now. The 7130 series is going buh-bye to the CDMA carriers.
    I thought AT&T/Cingular still had the 7100g.

CashCrandle no está en línea Stack level 2

thats what i thought

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    I thought AT&T/Cingular still had the 7100g.
    Well, technically they do, but they are Refub only...No new ones.

ArgonNJ no está en línea Stack level 2

It looks as if RIM is developing 3 lines of devices. 8800 series-business users, 8100 series-consumers and the 8300-both. I would imagine that most of their new phone will have cameras as that is the market they are looking to capture. Sure they will offer a non camera model, but I wouldn't expect it in the small form factor.

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Designers over at Research in Motion are busy thinking up new configurations for QWERTY keyboards on BlackBerrys. Based on the diagrams above they are trying to figure out ways to stick 3 letters on triangular directional button.

Attachment 6214

I dont think blackberry is going to get rid of suretype not by a long shot

http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/02/0...ur-blackberry/

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

cingular just has the refurb 7130c

I am currently in negotiation via email with my carrier right now to get a replacement device (I would do it over the phone but I am not at home long enough to do so).
    What make and model of replacement are you getting? I've been researching alternative choices and would like to hear what you are looking at. And why you like it, etc.

Thanks

I am getting a SK iD. The Sidekick series is the most stable phone I have ever owned. I only got the Pearl because I wanted something smaller but it just didn't work out the way I wanted it to.

Pros:

AIM, Yahoo and MSN built in
    Full keyboard
    Swivel screen to protect the keyboard
    No media features (no camera, mp3 player or media storage)
    Desktop versions of the calendar, address book, notes, and Tasks
    Customizable backgrounds
    Changeable bumper kits
    SMS included in data plan
    Wrist Lanyard and case included with phone
    OTA OS upgrades
    Stable OS

Cons:
    Limited Downloads to what is on the on-board catalog
    Pricey Downloads
    Data connection (I heard this is improved)
    Battery life (I heard this is improved)
    No Google Talk or ICQ
    Browser
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 08-29-2007 at 09:38 PM.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

I am getting a SK iD. The Sidekick series is the most stable phone I have ever owned. I only got the Pearl because I wanted something smaller but it just didn't work out the way I wanted it to.
    You have the worst luck with Pearls of any person I have ever known. Actually, BB's straight across the board. And this is coming from someone who abuses their BB's more than certain former NFL football players abused pitbulls.

The phone was never dropped or anything. All that happened since the OS upgrade was the battery died and I tried to charge the phone with other batteries and it went into a reset cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by ebanga
    Interesting point addressed here but IMO RIM has a lot of dedicated sure type users that they have to continue to market to. Plus the new Pearl comes with "improved" suretype so I don't think they would take the time to improve something if they planned to phase it out. Maybe a non camera Pearl is on the horizon?
    The issue for me is not that the Pearl has a camera, as I can take it or leave it. The issue for me, is one of size. If one puts a Pearl side by side with a 7130c (as I have done, owning both) the issue is the size of the keyboard and the keys. The 7130c in particular has an ideal keyboard. The keys are larger than on any of the full qwerty models, with more space between them as well. Regarding the Pearl the keys are cheaply built on a single large rubber membrane instead of being individual keys. They are glued to this piece of rubber which then allows them to wobble in any direction you happen to push them. Not confidence inspiring, rather cheap in my experience.

In fact if one puts a Pearl, a 7130c and an 8300 or 8800 side by side it becomes very apparent that the 7130c is indeed right in the middle of the line up in terms of size. Which in my case is just perfect for me as I can type one handed emails on the 7130 as fast if not faster than on a full qwerty. Something I thought I would never say (that I like Sure-Type), as I used Treo's and other qwerty smartphones for a long time before coming into the BlackBerry fold a year ago.

Another big advantage of the 7130 is it looks like a traditional cell phone and one can do anything with it one handed. So much nicer than having to use two hands like the full qwerty models. Then there is the rather baffling fact that the 7130 series was on the market for far less than one year, and during that time they had the fewest complaints. Yet unlike every other BB model which has been on the market well over a year, they killed off the 7130..... ?

The single improvement I would like to see on a 7130c would be to reduce the thickness from 18mm to 13 or 14mm. Then it would be absolutely perfect. Oh well, enough of that, I guess it's time for something else.