Hi All, I've got some general questions that I hope you could perhaps help me ... General Blackberry forum

acqui no está en línea Stack level 1

Newbie with general questions

Advertisement

Hi All,

I've got some general questions that I hope you could perhaps help me with. I just graduated from business school and will be starting a small consulting firm with a couple of colleagues. Since I've never used a Blackberry or Smartphone, I was wondering what the primary differences are between the Blackberry 8800 for example and some of the other smartphones (Treo 750 etc) Advantages, disadvantages. I don't plan on changing devices every instance a new one comes up so I'll like something that hopefully upgradeable for at least a couple of years. Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks.

phillyslix no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Newbie with general questions

Basically, the opinions here will be biased toward the BlackBerry.

What are you looking to do with the device? Are you using it just for email? Will you be using it for the calendar, tasks, etc?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Acqui. The 8800 is the newest of the Blackberrys and has the most features (sans camera). If receiving email consistently and having a very stable operating system are important to you, then a Blackberry is the way to go.

There are quite a few other threads here regarding the differences between BB and Palm.

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555

Bb is the most stable device hands down. You don't hear of many software issues. You can't go wrong with a bb.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Stability's the big reason I use a BB. A Treo or WM5 will have greater flexbility in its capabilities and better choices of third party apps but the tradeoff is reliability. We have hundreds of deployed BB's and spend very little time troubleshooting them.

acqui no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks for all of your responses/suggestions. I'll be using it for a variety of tasks, email, messaging, phone, and various business applications. I've got a question regarding wifi that may sound sillly. If a device has this feature, does it mean that you would have the capability to connect to the net without having to go through a phone service? In other words, if you simply have a basic phone plan, can you use the device to connect to the internet in areas that offer free wifi? The reason I ask is because there were two blokes in class today having a debate about this.

gcarroll no está en línea Stack level 1

gcarroll no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi from the UK I tried out a smart phone after having a BB for a couple of years. I packed it in within a couple of months and went back to BB it is easier and more reliable for emails around the world. Yes a smart phone has more gagets and window applications so it is really done to what you need.