Hello my friends! I am a technology nut.. and after lots of bb setup for ... General Blackberry forum

trend no está en línea Stack level 1

Newbie: What BB to get?

Advertisement

Hello my friends! I am a technology nut.. and after lots of bb setup for my clients.. I am thinking about diving into one myself.

I am looking for a cheap one off ebay.. pref under $60 that works with verizon.

What ones should I be looking at? Or should I look to spend more for a starter?

thanks!

lilspun247 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: Newbie: What BB to get?

Honestly, If you're a technology nut, then any blackberry is good for you. I have the 8100 Pearl, and i like it cause it does all the cool techy stuff, but it also has amazing multimedia capability. It's one of the more user- friendly models, and I think it's perfect for a first time blackberry owner. Trust me it will keep you entertained for months just discovering all the cool things you can do with it. I actually got mine for free from a third party cell phone merchant online, when i signed up for a two year contract with Tmobile. let me know how you make out. if you have more questions just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    Hello, and Welcome to the Stacks

That would depend on your needs and likes and possibly your carrier.

First you may want to think about form factor, do you like Full QWERTY or SureType, then you can decide other options from there like camera or not...
    suretype sounds best for me. I don't care about a camera, but would be a nice bonus.

What you think?

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

My advice would be start out with the best BB for your carrier, the 8830, because once you get hooked with BB your going to want to upgrade anyways.

Seriously, start out where you feel comfortable. All BB's have similar features, and you will have a great experience whichever you choose.

I think the 7750 it is.

Can I upgrade this to the newest BB OS?
    Last edited by trend; 06-03-2007 at 11:54 PM.

gruv15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404AE69
    Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    My advice would be start out with the best BB for your carrier, the 8830, because once you get hooked with BB your going to want to upgrade anyways.

Seriously, start out where you feel comfortable. All BB's have similar features, and you will have a great experience whichever you choose.
    Great advice! Definitely go for the 8830, because once start Berrying you'll want the newest one anyway. Especially being that your a tech nut. Anyway you go you'll be OK. Let us know what you choose and welcome aboard.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

The first thing to do is pick a cell carrier. Look at where you will use the device, where you live, work, travel, etc. Check out the coverage maps (but don't trust them), talk to friends, family, coworkers, etc, and see which carriers they use and how the service is where they use it. Once you pick the carrier, then start looking at BB devices.

If you are in the US, Verizon and Cingular/ATT have the widest coverage areas, followed by Sprint and T-Mobile. T-MO is likely to be the cheapest in plans but their coverage is lacking in many areas.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Definitely pick your carrier first and that will automatically narrow down your choices a bit. From there you can compare specific models at Blackberry.com based on their features. The core functionality is pretty much the same among all models.

Quote Originally Posted by trend
    I think the 7750 it is.

[/quote]
    I'd seriously recommend a 7130 (for SureType) or 8703e (for full qwerty) or newer. The 7750 and old device and it won't ever see 4.2. I'm not even sure if you can get 4.1 for it.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by trend
    I think the 7750 it is.

The 8830 is the newest device for Verion. You can upgrade that device's OS to the newest version.

However, since you said you like SureType (I love it and have been using it since I got the T-Mobile 7100t and 7105t), you might want to try the 7130e. I have the T-Mobile Pearl 8100. The 7130e is an older device but has SureType. Not sure if there is an OS upgrade out for that model anymore. I personally love SureType because it allows me to have the portability I need in a device but all of the features I want. Give those 2 models, the 7130e and 8830 a try and see which one really meets your needs better. Hope this helps.

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

IMO wait for the 8120 aka PEARL_2

allot of rumours kicking around but it will be a sweet device if you don't mind waiting 4months.