Hi Everyone, I'm a student residing in Singapore and thinking of getting either a BB ... General Blackberry forum

nautican no está en línea Stack level 1

Question newbie Requires Help - BIS/Internet Access for IM

Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

I'm a student residing in Singapore and thinking of getting either a BB 8800 or BB 8707 soon.

After reading through these forums I'm under the impression that BIS is a email/ internet solution. Tried to do a search but became more confused by the different comments. However, I just went down to the shops to check out the different BBs and data access plans and was told that the BIS offered here is for email only (i.e. only).

One important app that I need is IM. Naturally internet access is required for it to work right? However, I don't forsee myself spending much time surfing the web. So in this regard, does email-only BIS support IM progs like Jivetalk or is there a work around?

Another thing, I'm currently considering either the BB 8800 or BB 8707. I've read that the BB8800 is non 3G whereas the BB 8707 is 3G but kind of laggy. So how does this affect me in terms of email/ IM that I think I would use primarily.

Thanks!

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: newbie Requires Help - BIS/Internet Access for IM

If you use something like JiveTalk, you can choose which network connection to use, so you can set it to TCP and use the carrier's direct network connection. Just make sure you have unlimited data on your plan. I have 2-3 friends in Singapore with BlackBerry's and they all have no issues or problems.

The email-only BIS issue just means you can't use BIS as a data proxy, but that still leaves TCP which is preferred anyways (no size/traffic limitations).

Hi Flashman,

Thanks for the expeditious reply.

Hmmm.. actually I am more lost now. Does TCP depend on WAP so if I use it I would have to pay for the airtime charges that WAP incurs, or is it a function to get Jivetalk to encode the messages in email form?

Thanks in advance!

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

BIS is personal email and internet, its just meaning you cannot use BES which is the corporate email servers...basically if you got a BIS plan you would be able to download a program such as jivetalk and use it for as long as you want

Hi Trigga15,

Thanks for the reply. I just called my telcos over here and was told that their version of BIS is for email only, no internet, unless I am willing to get a seperate mobile internet plan or incur WAP charges, which I am not willing to.

Any ideas on this?

Tks

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

There are three ways the BlackBerry can find its way to the Internet.

1. BlackBerry Enterprise Server
    2. BlackBerry Internet Server
    3. TCP/IP Director Connector (proxy supported)

What you refer to as WAP is the same as #3 and is probably what your telco is trying to tell you. Basically, they don't want the data traffic going over the BIS server, so you will use option #3 instead. This will be part of the "DATA" of your phone plan.