Hello, I'm Blackberry, and generally wireless/pda/cell phone, retarded. I've never used a smartphone before so ... General Blackberry forum

roc383 no está en línea Stack level 1

New to Blackberry, need suggestions on model/provider

Advertisement

Hello,
    I'm Blackberry, and generally wireless/pda/cell phone, retarded. I've never used a smartphone before so I have no experience with the various service providers and only know about the hardware from what I read on the web. Of course the people in the Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint stores just want to sell merchandise and aren't a whole lot of help. I was hoping to get some opinions from people here as to which BlackBerry model and service would best work for me.

First, I do not need or want voice service, just data. Of course Email push is important to me, and that is part of what brings me to RIMM. I need to be able to browse the internet, mostly for news. I do a lot of stock trading so I need to be able to do that while on the move as well. GPS / navigation is not a must, but something I would very much like to have. And finally, expandable memory is preferred as well. Video and MP3 is not important to me, but being able to display pictures that I load on to the device would be nice. I cannot have a camera due to employer restrictions.

From my research, my thoughts were the 8800 with Cingular would best fit my needs. It seems that Verizon cripples a lot of the features, such as GPS, where Cingular does not. Sprint does not offer a plan for data only with no voice. My two concerns with this selection are lack of Wifi and 3G support with the 8800. Does this significantly impact speed? Is the Verizon EV-DO that much better than EDGE? I don't fully understand all of this, and if I am completely off base in my pick, please let me know! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: New to Blackberry, need suggestions on model/provider

Before you pick a device, you need to make sure you pick a carrier that has the coverage where you need it - where you live, work, travel and play. Look at the coverage maps but don't believe them 100%. Talk to family, friends, co-workers, etc. Then pick the carrier that is best for you.

Generally Cingular and Verizon have the best coverage and T-Mobile has the cheapest plan, but the least coverage. But it really depends on where you will use the device.

EVDO and 3G won't make a dramatic difference in speed on a BB. Email is mail and is delvered and there isn't much one can do to change or speed it up. Browsing speed may be a bit faster, but I doubt that it would be that much of a difference. Tether speed is where you would notice the difference.

Also, keep in mind that the data rate is dependent on several factors: your connection, distance to the tower, tower congestion, device procesor and device memory, are the main ones. In addition, voice always has priority over data at the tower.

Does your employer have a BES and will you be able to be added to that? If not, do they allow web and or POP3 or IMAP acess to email? Is this is the case, then BIS would be the better way to go.

Given the description of your needs, then my guess is that the 8800 would be the best choice. If you reavel overseas, you might also want to look at the Verizon 8830. Given you don't want a voice plan, the data plan will cost more. On Cingular the personal BIS Unlimited is $34.99 w/o voice and $29.99 with a voice plan of 450 minutes.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Would just a palm piolet work? Like one of those elecric planners? i don't know if they do internet but it would be a waste of money to get a phone and no voice plan IMO

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thanks for the responses! Although the 8830 is a nice device, I do not do business overseas so it would not be worth it to me to go with the 8830 on Verizon and give up the GPS functionality. The points about tower congestion and voice priority are good points and something I never thought of, and honestly would not know how to find out. I have asked around to users of Cingular and Verizon, and both have as many complaints as they do compliments. I live in the Detroit area, and travel mostly to major cities such as Phoenix and Buffalo. I suspect coverage won't be much of an issue in those locations. Regarding the BES for my company... they do have one, and to the best of my knowledge only executives are issued BBs and thus only executives are on the server. I am not an executive. However, the folks at AT&T told me that if the company already has the BES and I get the BIS package personally, then IT would be able to add me to the server at no cost to my company, provided they are allowed to do so. That is something I would research later as I bet I will be met with resistence at first. However, I have plenty of other personal email accounts that I would want pushed to the BB anyway. I can switch to the BIS plan later if the company wants to allow me access to BES. Right now I think the Personal Max with 1500 TXT messages will work out for me on AT&T.

My only remaining concerns would be WiFi and IM. Should lack of WiFi be a concern? The only benefit is connection speed, right? And regarding IM, I have read both that IM software such as Yahoo and MSN will work with 8800 on AT&T and I have also read that it is not supported! Anyone know for sure?

As for the Palm suggestion, thanks for the thought, but I actually went that route 6 years ago, and swore I wouldn't go back. My Palm was such junk... I better just leave it at that.
    I think RIMM has much more robust product and want to give it a shot. Besides, maybe someday I will actually find the need for a phone and voice to it as well.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Check with your IT department first. There's something like a $50 setup fee and a monthly fee ($10?) per BB user that the company has to pay every time they add a user to their BES server. So unless you've got executive approval, you may have trouble connecting to the BES server.

Ah hah! I thought it was odd that the person at the store said there was no associated fee per user. That's why I came to the forum... just can't trust everthing they tell you at the store.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Plus, the company will probably push its IT Policies to your device which could really limit what you can and cannot do. If this is your personal device, then I would think you don't want the hassle or the limitations. Go with BIS.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by roc383
    I suspect coverage won't be much of an issue in those locations.
    Don't assume that coverage will be adequate. At least be sure to fully check out coverage while you're in your trial period with the new carrier. I live in a major city and every carrier has holes here and there (some worse than others).

Quote Originally Posted by roc383
    My only remaining concerns would be WiFi and IM. Should lack of WiFi be a concern? The only benefit is connection speed, right?
    Only if it's a critical feature for you and only you can determine how important WiFi is for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sashadelgado
    i don't know if they do internet but it would be a waste of money to get a phone and no voice plan IMO
    Perhaps but what if he wants to add voice later? Spending twice for an expensive device is even more of a waste when the BB could have easily handled his needs. What if he wants the stability of the Blackberry?
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-02-2007 at 08:19 PM.