Hi all Yes, I am brand new to Blackberry world. I am coming from a ... General Blackberry forum

linhthinh no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down New to Blackberry

Advertisement

Hi all

Yes, I am brand new to Blackberry world. I am coming from a Palm treo 750, whose biggest problem was probably to be slow to death due to Windows overhead.

I've got a 8700g now, and I have to admit that it is a good unit even if I have found some oddities that make me scream, and I really don't believe there is not a workaround. Anyone that knows BB world can probably help me quickly:

a) When a call comes or a SMS arrives, the screen does not necessarly stay lighted. If you set the background light off after a (normal) 20 seconds, you can have an incoming call where the screen is actually off, and you don't know where the calls cames from. I have never seen a phone where the background light does not stay on when an incoming call occurs....

b) After every call I make, instead of coming back to the "home" view I am bounced to an annoying call list I really don't care about, at least in that moment. Any way to avoid it to pop-up?

c) Worst than ever. It seems there is not a way to lock keyboard with a key sequence or to activate an autolock that locks it automatically after a certain time. This is unacceptable, 'cause one of the things everyone does after having used the phone is probably to put it in a pocket, and an unlocked keyboards does not sound like a good idea. Yes, you have to find the "lock" icon and to select it, but a $50 Nokia does far better. Any suggestion?

Thank you to everyone will contribute to my better understanding of BB world.

Regards

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: New to Blackberry

welcome to pinstack and blackberry.

in regards to c....the easiest way to set phone lock is to go into options < screen/keyboard and set on the the convinence bottons for the lock. YES there is a key sequence, but you havent filled out any info on your device...as they vary from others

sorry you feel your 1sy impression isnt the greatest, but in time you will find blackberry far better than your treo

Gbcue no está en línea Stack level 2

He said 8700g.

linhthinh no está en línea Stack level 1

Glehman

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I missed all firmware info. Well, going to 8700g and looking at infos I see:

V. 4.2.196 (platform 2.3.0.79), hope this is enough. Thank you.

Best regards

fwellers no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242219FB

Hello,
    If you go into the phone ( click the green button )
    then hit menu-options-general options
    Then you can select Dial From Home Screen to option NO.
    If you do that, then you have normal blackberry shortcut keys available to you, one of which is the 'k' key. All you have to do is hit the 'k' key from the home screen and your keyboard will lock.
    Or, as another poster said, you can assign the convenience key to screen-lock.

I can't tell you about your first complaint, because I have an 8820, and when I get a call, my screen lights up.

as far as b), I also have that problem. It is a bit of a pain.
    One thing you can do, is to simply press the back key ( the one just left of the red key ). I believe that since the phone application is always open anyway, it doesn't matter to just hit the back key and not 'close' the app specifically. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Or, you can hit menu, then hit 'c''l' in quick sequence, which will move your cursor right to the close menu option. I know it's not much consolation, but hey, every little bit helps. :-))

I love my blackberry, and am willing to put up with and work around the quirks.
    IMO, if you have a geek factor of 5 or greater, or just like efficient robust communication, you will grow to love yours too.

Enjoy.
    Floyd
    People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
    Peace,
    Floyd

DaSone1i no está en línea Stack level 1

hello new here was needeing to ask a poster if person had ever found an inlock security problem for rim 957 but seems cant send a message until i have 10 postings. so if person reads this or someone else knows..
    I have went to 857/957 site that was recommended to that person and emailed that site for help.

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3

b) I've just gotten into the habit of double-clicking the End button to solve this. I agree it's kind of dumb for the call list to come up after a call.

c) Not sure about the 8700g, but on my 8100 Pearl, I can press & hold the top Mute button to put it to sleep, which also locks the keyboard. Only problem is, I have to wake it up just to check the time. I have also set a convenience key like others suggested to lock the keyboard, which I find easier then an auto lock. I believe I have seen an autolock program somewhere but don't know if it will work on the 8700g
    Last edited by NickAC; 01-09-2008 at 11:13 AM.

bbnovice422 no está en línea Stack level 2

You could also get a holster and set it to lock upon holstering. I usually hit the end key twice and it goes to the home screen.

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Morning, welcome to the Stacks!
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

JayR no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    SK LX