News Quickie: All AT&T Smartphones to Be 3G-Enabled Within Months Yesterday, 7:25 PM by Eric ... General Blackberry forum

attemp no está en línea Stack level 1

New Phones!!!!!!

Advertisement

News

Quickie:
    All AT&T Smartphones to Be 3G-Enabled Within Months

Yesterday, 7:25 PM by Eric M. Zeman
    AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega confirmed that all of AT&T's smartphones, including BlackBerries and the Apple iPhone, will be running on AT&T's 3G network within months.
    from AT&T
    Share Related Discuss (22)

Facebook Digg It del.icio.us Email Permalink

AT&T's HSPA Network to be Complete in 2008

Yesterday, 7:02 PM by Eric M. Zeman updated Yesterday, 6:23 PM
    Hank Kafka, vice president of network architecture for AT&T Mobility, confirmed that the company will have its entire 3G network upgraded to HSPA by the end of this year. AT&T rolled out HSDPA throughout 2007 and began adding HSUPA late in 2007. It had 255 markets running HSDPA by the end of 2007 and will have 350 major metropolitan markets covered by HSPA, enabling download speeds of 7.2Mbps, before the start of 2009.

pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Good news for AT&T Folks... Except.. has anyone seen a 3G Blackberry yet?? And I could be wrong but this would require a hardware up date, not just Software so even 4.5 is not going to help.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

attemp no está en línea Stack level 1
    there is a 3g bb already made it should be release later but we are not sure exactly when, bb 9000 look it up and see for ur self its made it just has to be released

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    what about my 8310 arent they going to update it LOL dont want to get another phone right now
    RedCurv07

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    that doesnt make sense. It can run on the network, but the phone itself is not capable of giving 3G or hsdpa.

curve247 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I am pretty sure that you will need a hardware upgrade for 3G. Therefore the 9000 is most likely going to be the first and only 3G BB.
    "T-Dub"
    T- Mo: BB 9700, 8900, 8220
    Sprint: BB 8330, 8830, 8130, 8703, 7250

But there's a beautiful view of the end of the world from the pier.....

Schirripal no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    2096c6ec
    but like the 8300 series i just got used to and loving it, there has to be 3g for my berry ATT is needing to show some love for the 8300 series seriously
    RedCurv07

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    3G on ATTis still not dependable and I don't know about where you are but here in NWA it is still overloaded!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

JR_Rider no está en línea Stack level 3
    Aren't ALL CDMA current Blackberry models 3G?? My 8830 certainly says "Qualcomm 3G CDMA" on the back of it.

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    verizon is EVDO

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Ahh, I can't wait!

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by curve247 View Post
    I am pretty sure that you will need a hardware upgrade for 3G.
    This is correct bececause you need a 3G/UMTS transceiver (radio), which cannot be added via software...

Quote Originally Posted by curve247 View Post
    Therefore the 9000 is most likely going to be the first and only 3G BB.
    Incorrect - the BlackBerry 8700 series (the BlackBerry 8707g Down Under) was the first 3G/UMTS BlackBerry device (with the exception of any CDMA EvDO devices, as outlined below), however there have been none since for various reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    Aren't ALL CDMA current Blackberry models 3G?? My 8830 certainly says "Qualcomm 3G CDMA" on the back of it.
    You are mostly right - ALL CDMA networks that have had an EvDO upgrade are "technically" 3G/UMTS networks because the data speeds are similar to, equal to or greater than "traditional" 3G/UMTS networks...

Most global 3G/UMTS networks use WCDMA though, which is completely different to CDMA (despite the similar name); WCDMA is largely based on GSM and usually an existing GSM network will select WCDMA as their 3G/UMTS technology of choice because for the most part, the technology "bolts on top of" their GSM network.

Anyway, any EvDO-compatible BlackBerrys are "technically" 3G/UMTS devices, for the reasons outlined above.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo0tdemon View Post
    Ahh, I can't wait!
    Trust me, it's WORTH getting excited about - we boast the fastest 3G/UMTS network in the world Down Under (Telstra's NextG network), currently supporting a theoretical maximum download speed of 7.2MB/s (with a 14.4MB/s and HSUPA upgrade due this year) and the data speeds are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G over "traditional" 2.5G networks!

We've had 3G/UMTS networks for about 6-7 years now, but now that it's FINALLY becomming available in North America/Canada (where BlackBerry devices are a hundred times more popular than here), we should start to see a few more 3G/UMTS BlackBerry devices start to filter through...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    There is no question in my mind that RIM will keep up with the race for faster connectivity. It's simply a matter of time, and with all the success and experience they have, it will be along in an appropriate time line.

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    There are two primary reasons why RIM have held-off on releasing anymore 3G/UMTS devices...

Firstly, there's the battery issue - whilst some are better than others (Sony Ericsson usually come out on top), 3G/UMTS devices traditionally have significantly-lower usage times than 2.5G devices (this is also SPECIFICALLY and OFFICIALLY why Apple chose not release a 3G/UMTS iPhone from day one)...

BlackBerry devices have notoriously-good usage times in comparison to virtually all of their competitors and RIM is not in a hurry to loose this reputation with a 3G/UMTS device.

Furthermore, I am told that RIM's previous 3G/UMTS BlackBerry (the BlackBerry 8700 series; the BlackBerry 8707g Down Under) actually had delays with receiving e-mails due to the way 3G/UMTS technology works - like all broadband solutions, 3G/UMTS technologies split data into multiple packets and whilst this speeds-up Internet browsing, it means that sending and receiving e-mails is slowed-down because the e-mails (now split into multiple packets) have to be re-assembled before delivery...

Being that the primary focus of BlackBerry devices is e-mail and not Internet access, this is certainly not ideal.

Although this reason has never officially been given, I also strongly suspect that the delay in launching 3G/UMTS in North America and Canada, where BlackBerrys are a LOT more common than elsewhere in the world, has meant delays in new 3G/UMTS BlackBerry devices becomming available...

As I stated above, now that 3G/UMTS is starting to become available in North America/Canada, we should see two things in the near future - more time/money put into battery technology, and more 3G/UMTS BlackBerry devices.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~