Hello: Background: I'm one of the lucky admin assistants that gets to do all the ... General Blackberry forum

tillyjane no está en línea Stack level 1

new BB with upgrade and many questions

Advertisement

Hello:
    Background:
    I'm one of the lucky admin assistants that gets to do all the IT work that she is *definitely* not qualified for including the navigating through land of the the Blackberry. I find most of my "how-tos" on internet tech forums and I have found the information posted on this forum to be some of the most helpful I have ever encoutered. Thank you so much!

Situation:
    My boss currently has a 7290 that we are a) using w/redirector via MS Exchange and we are not on a BES. (But we will eventually as we are closing this office down and will eventually migrate to a hosted exchange product-- but that is for another day) and b) we still run Desktop 3.6 software. My boss now wants to go to an 8700c next week.

I've done same model switchouts but never a switch plus and upgrade of the desktop software. I believe the 8700c requires a minimum 4.1 of the desktop software? Additionally, we have done "just in case" backups of the b'berry but never syched except for one disasterous time when it reformatted his contacts.

So when I set up the new blackberry I am going to synch to the information he has in Outlook on his PC (contacts, tasks) because this information is the most current and in a completely different format from what is on his 7290. However, if possible, he would like to have the folder "saved email" from the 7290 brought over the the 8700c. . So what I am asking, in a very wordy way, does anyone have an opinion on how I should proceed without goofing everything up? I'm thinking I should:
    1. backup/create an .ipd file of the "saved email"
    2. update desktop software (or should this come before 1?)
    3. follow the instructions posted on this forum on switching from old blackberry to new and just bring over the .ipd file from above.
    4. then proceed with new blackberry synching contacts etc; from PC.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated. If the saved email thing gets too complicated, I'm going to have him send it all to me and I'll forward it to his new blackberry when it is up and running!

Thank you,
    Amy

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: new BB with upgrade and many questions

tillyjane, Welcome to PinStack.

I think the best thing you could do is to use the Switch Device Wizard in Desktop Manager 4.1 and 4.2. I just did a swap from an 8700 to an 8100 and it worked great.

Let us know if there is anything we else can do to help with this problem..

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Hello tillyjane, welcome to pinstack. Let us know how it goes.

tillyjane no está en línea Stack level 1

Thank you for all your help. I will try the Desktop Software 4.2 route (I don't thnk the "switch devices" is avail in 4.1, right?). One final question, do I upgrade the desktop software first and will it have a hard time recognizing the 7290?

Thank you.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

welcome to pinstack. sorry i cant really be of much help on this subject