I used to watch those guys running around with BB's and say never! Well . ... General Blackberry forum

CustomDuals no está en línea Stack level 2

NEW & HOOKED!!! BES question

Advertisement

I used to watch those guys running around with BB's and say never!

Well . . . . how I made due with a "dumb" phone for so long now absolutly flattens me!. Was I EVER wrong! (Proof positive: "Don't knock it till you've tried it - sooooo to all of you that I inadvertantly make fun of - my biggest appologies! I genuflect at the BlackBerry alter!)

I'm truly hooked by this device - a gaget freek to begin with, I am a 100% convert in about a two-week time period. Have I been having fun!

Now I look at those folks trying to keep track of business and up-to-date without BB's and think "poor soul." Okay, got my "come-uppin's) and now

A question . . .

I CAN run BES on my office server, but I'm doing quite well with BIS - is there a reason to change "because I can?" Or, am I just creating more work?

Calendar and Appt. sync are not that important - yet. And everything seems to be going rather well.

T-Mobil is a little "dicey" here in the beach area, but I just can't abide by Cingualr or the "Big V."

So, any benifits of switching to BES or not?

I've got a ton of other questions on operations, but need to "learn" how to explain them first!

Thanks guys / gals! Great site.

Look forward to learning / participating.

CD

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

Re: NEW & HOOKED!!! BES question

are you running a corporate email addy? if so you will need to use BES if not i would just stay with BIS

tom_vachon no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AE3FA5

I use the redirector it seems to work fine, even with my large corproations anal firewall rules

No, no corporate emai - as of yet, but I think it is something we'll implement at the new year.

I'll look into BES more at that time.

THANKS!

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yeah that would be best

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Do you own the company? Are you the only one with a BB device? If yes to both, I wouldn't recommend BES unless you really, really want the OTA (Over The Air) Calendar and Address Book sync capability.

BIS will work just fine for sending emails to your Device, and you can sync your Calendar with Desktop Manager.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

Quote Originally Posted by CustomDuals
    I used to watch those guys running around with BB's and say never!

Well . . . . how I made due with a "dumb" phone for so long now absolutly flattens me!. Was I EVER wrong! (Proof positive: "Don't knock it till you've tried it - sooooo to all of you that I inadvertantly make fun of - my biggest appologies! I genuflect at the BlackBerry alter!)

I'm truly hooked by this device - a gaget freek to begin with, I am a 100% convert in about a two-week time period. Have I been having fun!

Now I look at those folks trying to keep track of business and up-to-date without BB's and think "poor soul." Okay, got my "come-uppin's) and now
    While I can't help with your BES questions, I had to comment at this part.

I used to snicker at people hunched over reading emails on their BB's a few years back too.

Yesterday though, as I almost slammed into a lampost while walking on the street downtown looking at the phone, I stopped and looked over at my reflection in a store window I came to the realization as I looked at the fellow holding his BB, bluetooth headset on his ear, fat holster on his belt... ACK... I am one of "them"!

cypher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    876-5309

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I was one of those guys that would never hold up a brick to head and talk on it. After chuckin a few WM devices out the window. I realized that the BB maybe a brick, but my treo was a cinder block! And there is such thing as a stable OS. Now my emails are pushed to my BB and my battery life is about 3 days!!!

Ha -

There are (literally) 3 SPRINT MOBILE PHONES lying somewhere in the ditch along the 405 Freeway near Getty Center Drive in Los Angles.

I was so tired of their problems that one went out the window. Then the two people working for me did the same. We were simply fed up with problems in certain areas here in Los Angeles and knew that if we got rid of them we'd have to make a change.

Guess what we all own now?

Email is great and we don't even have to worry if you can "hear me now?"

CD

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There are a number of benefits to BES and the criteria are not really what people state above (except the desire for wireless sync). I wouldn't recommend attempting to run your own BES unless you're the email admin or have access/control over your email server. Hosted BES is a good option if you just want to get your feet wet.

Some benefits:

- Wireless sync
    - Full reconciliation
    - Better integration with your email account (folders, filing, etc)
    - Wireless backup/restore
    - Device management (IT Policies, remote kill, push software/updates)
    - Proper support of meeting requests (though this is supposed to be in BIS 2.3 as well)
    - Intranet access
    - Better 3rd party app support (no need to tinker with APN settings)
    - Instant email delivery without having to use gmail, Yahoo or forwarding
    - More settings can be adjusted from your BB (signature, filters, etc)

...I think there might be more info at BlackberryFAQ.com.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-30-2007 at 11:37 AM.