Dear Stackers, If i were to switch from an old blackberry to a new blackberry ... General Blackberry forum

rubikscube no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Need Help with switch device wizard :-)

Advertisement

Dear Stackers,
    If i were to switch from an old blackberry to a new blackberry using the switch device wizard on desktop manager 4.2, would all my data on my old blackberry be deleated so it could be coppied into the new blackberry. Because if something were to go wrong i would like to have at least one functioning blackberry. Also would enterprise server options be coppied,
    Thanks
    ragahv

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Need Help with switch device wizard :-)

Everything but your Enterprise Server stuff would transfer over. You will have to get your IT dept to wirelessly synch your BB again (and get a new activation password). I am in the process of TRYING to get stuff off a Pearl that I didn't back up (activation codes for apps) so that I can transfer them to either an 8800 or 8700g. I have HAD IT with the Pearl.

Re: Need Help with switch device wizard :-)

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Everything but your Enterprise Server stuff would transfer over. You will have to get your IT dept to wirelessly synch your BB again (and get a new activation password). I am in the process of TRYING to get stuff off a Pearl that I didn't back up (activation codes for apps) so that I can transfer them to either an 8800 or 8700g. I have HAD IT with the Pearl.
    But then why does the switch device wizrd help section state :
    "If you switch BlackBerry devices, the switch device wizard is designed to import supported organizer data, messages, third-party applications, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server connection options from your current device to your new device."
    Doesnt that mean everything goes in?

Help with switch device wizard

Dear Stackers,
    The switch device wizard on desktop manager states :"If you switch BlackBerry devices, the switch device wizard is designed to import supported organizer data, messages, third-party applications, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server connection options from your current device to your new device."
    Does that mean that my enterprise server settings will also transfer and i will receive mail on my new blackberry??
    Also when i do the switch will everything get deleated of my OLD blackberry,
    Thanks
    Ragahv

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Help with switch device wizard

Yes, but I'm pretty sure Desktop Manager needs to be set up on a computer running Outlook (or whatever Enterprise email client you're using) and you need a connection to both your Exchange and BES servers. I've never tried it without those connections, and I don't think it will work without that. You can use a VPN connection, but if you use a VPN do NOT use a Wireless (802.11) network connection as I've never seen that work.

Your new device will NOT be wiped. Once you're sure your new device is set up properly, wipe the old device by going to ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Security Options --> ( General Settings --> ). Click the wheel/trackball and select Wipe Handheld. You will be given a warning and asked if you want to continue. Click Continue. You will then be asked to enter the word blackberry. Type blackberry and hit [Enter] to wipe all data. Newer OS's will give you the option to erase third party applications, but if you don't see this option they will not be removed. Only data is wiped and the device is returned (more or less) to its Factory condition.

If you're required by IT Policy to have a password on the device, you'll be asked to enter a new password when the wipe operation is finished. If you need to remove the IT Policy requiring a password, check here.
    JerryD