Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yes it is the exact same process only difference is DM will ask you if ... General Blackberry forum

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Yes it is the exact same process only difference is DM will ask you if you are sure you want to downgrade.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    OK, I'm getting somewhere!

DM did not recognize that the downgrade was available so I launched loader.exe and it did the downgrade. Now I'm back to 4.2 and considering my options from there. Is there any advantage to wiping the device now and installing the new os from scratch or did the install of the older os clean out all of the beta crap that was on there?

Thanks for all of the help!

I attempted to install the 8830 4.5 os and it still did not recognize that an upgrade was available, neither through Desktop Manager or by launching loader.exe so I wiped the device using javaloader.exe -u wipe. Now I am at the 507 error code screen (no os installed).

I installed the 4.5 os to my computer, deleted the vendor.xml file, started desktop manager, connected the device and it would not detect a connected device. I started loader.exe, searched for the connection and it found the device but it tells me the loader does not have software installed for the connected device.

I double checked that the vendor.xml file is gone and it is so I'm kinda stuck here at this point. I'm going to try uninstalling the device software and desktop manager from my computer, reinstall both and see if it will recognize the upgrade.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    ^^^ Uninstalling DM and the OS and reinstalling would be a good bet, al. Keep us posted.

Well,
    After two uninstalls and re-installs of DM and the OS software I'm still stuck without an OS. I've done multiple searches for the vendor.xml file and only found the one instance. I found a thread about doing a clean uninstall of DM and followed those steps. The error I get when I try to install the OS is "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that is connected to the computer."

I'm getting ready to install 4.2.2 and then see if I can do the upgrade to 4.5 although I didn't have to do that when I installed the beta versions of 4.5. I'm also thinking of trying DM 4.5 instead of 4.6. I think that is the version I had when I installed the beta versions of the OS.

I'm open to any ideas anyone might have and I'll keep you updated on what I try.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!
    Last edited by alryder; 02-11-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Al, have you tried doing the upgrade with the Loader executable in the AppLoader folder, bypassing DM completely?

Ho RoGro,
    I did. I couldn't get DM to recognize that the device was connected so I launched loader.exe. It then found the device but gives me the unfortunate error message I listed above. I just installed 4.2.2 on my computer and I'm going to see if I can get that installed on the device, then see if I can upgrade. I'm also downloading DM 4.5 to install on another computer and I'll try to install OS 4.5 from there if I'm unsuccessful with 4.2.2.

Well, the problem is resolved.

I tried installing 4.2 on the device and then upgrading to 4.5 but got the same error message that DM did not have a version of the software installed for my device. I did delete the vendor.xml file and also uninstalled and reinstalled DM and the OS software to my computer twice with no improvement.

I then wiped the device again and installed DM 4.5 and the 4.5 OS on a different computer and the OS was recognized and installed to the device.

I don't know if it was something on my computer that was keeping the 4.5 OS from installing or if using DM 4.5 was the solution but at least I have the released version of 4.5 installed.

Now when (if) Sprint releases their version I will try it on my computer and see if it will reconize the 4.5 OS.

Thanks to each of you for your help and advice will this was going on!

Wow, what a pain, al! Strange that it was an issue with the one computer. Just glad you finally got it resolved.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Al,
    Glad to see you got it going. I was thinking last night what else you could try and you beat me to it. ~via smartphone~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12