Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello, I am trying to wipe my 8830 WE using JL_Commander but am having troubles ... General Blackberry forum

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3

Need help wiping Blackberry

Advertisement

Hello,
    I am trying to wipe my 8830 WE using JL_Commander but am having troubles connecting to the device. The device is operational and I am able to sync with my PC so I don't think it is a problem with the device not being seen by the computer, just JL_Commander won't connect.
    I'm running Windows XP so it's not a Vista problem either as I have seen some other stackers have in other threads. I am not sure how to proceed from here.
    Does Desktop Manager need to be installed on the PC for JL_Commander to work? That is the only thing I can think of that I haven't done.

Any suggestions on what to look at?

Thank you.

impak875 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    DROID
    Not sure if it's needed but I just wiped a 8310 just the other day and I know I have Desktop Manager installed on my PC... went through without a problem at all. Wish I could give more information on your issue. Could one of the more knowledgeable moderators shed some light on this subject???

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    If you haven't already done so. You can check this How To:

Thanks to both for your suggestions.

impak875: I'll try installing DM and see if that fixes it.

moderncowboy: I did find that thread and was following along. What happens is no matter what I select in LJ_Commander I get an error message stating :error during open: 80040154.

I'll see what installing DM does and go from there.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    You may also consider deleting jl_ and re-downloading.

Well, it gets weirder.
    I installed DM with no luck, then a new copy of jl_commander and no luck there either.
    I then decided to install the new 8830 firmware without wiping the device and after uninstalling the old version from my computer, installing the new version to my computer and deleting the vendor.xml file it doesn't find the new version of the firmware after starting DM either.
    I should have stayed in bed this morning.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    What version of DM are you using. If it is 4.7 I would suggest uninstalling it and going with 4.6.

Have you tried rebooting both your PC and device and then tried wiping it?

I have 4.6. I've tried re-booting the PC, but not the device. I'll try that tomorrow when I get back to work. I'm not on a BES so there should be no IT Policy involved.
    Argh, I just want the new firmware......

Well, I couldn't wait until morning so I went back in to work tonight. I'll try to outline the steps I took in order.

1. Installed jl_commander on two different computers. The device was still not recognized.

2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop Manager and the OS software on my computer. Desktop Manager does not recognize that there is an upgrade available for the device.

3. Launched loader.exe and tried to update the OS this way. It still did not recognize that an upgrade was available. I also noticed if I went in to the area in the application loader where you can install and uninstall specific apps, it only listed the third party apps I have installed, not the apps that come with the OS.

4. Wiped the application data and third party apps from my device by using wipe device under security. I then tried to us jl_commander and the device was not recognized. I also tried to update the OS using Desktop Manager but no upgrade was available.

I'm not sure what my next step should be, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You guys and gals with your BB's..

Why do you feel the need to constantly wipe?

I have never used Jl commander.

And have loaded many OS's on my BB's. Maybe I was supposed to use JL commander?

Quote Originally Posted by alryder View Post
    Well, I couldn't wait until morning so I went back in to work tonight. I'll try to outline the steps I took in order.

1. Installed jl_commander on two different computers. The device was still not recognized.

2. Uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop Manager and the OS software on my computer. Desktop Manager does not recognize that there is an upgrade available for the device.

3. Launched loader.exe and tried to update the OS this way. It still did not recognize that an upgrade was available. I also noticed if I went in to the area in the application loader where you can install and uninstall specific apps, it only listed the third party apps I have installed, not the apps that come with the OS.

4. Wiped the application data and third party apps from my device by using wipe device under security. I then tried to us jl_commander and the device was not recognized. I also tried to update the OS using Desktop Manager but no upgrade was available.

I'm not sure what my next step should be, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Man this was just covered in another thread yesterday. But you need to delete all BB O's from your computer except the one you want to load. Don't plug your BB in to PC yet. Don't open Desktop Manager yet.
    After you delete all OS's from your PC except for the one you want, then go ahead and run that OS.

After running it , you will need to delete the vendor xml file. Do you know what this is?? after deleting this file close out to desktop.

start desktop manager. After desktop manager is done opening plug in your BB.And it should ask you if you want to upgrade or downgrade depending on your OS version.

Quote Originally Posted by jpl572103 View Post
    Man this was just covered in another thread yesterday. But you need to delete all BB O's from your computer except the one you want to load. Don't plug your BB in to PC yet. Don't open Desktop Manager yet.
    After you delete all OS's from your PC except for the one you want, then go ahead and run that OS.

After running it , you will need to delete the vendor xml file. Do you know what this is?? after deleting this file close out to desktop.

start desktop manager. After desktop manager is done opening plug in your BB.And it should ask you if you want to upgrade or downgrade depending on your OS version.
    Thanks for the response.

I did try to upgrade the software first but it does not recognize that there is an upgrade available, hence the need for jl_commander. I only have the newest version of the os software installed on my computer and uninstalled all of the others before I started the process.

I have deleted the vendor.xml file each time I've installed the new OS software on my computer, I just forgot to add that in the steps above.

After starting Desktop Manager it says it is checking to see if software updates are available, then it goes to the main screen without asking if I want to upgrade.

Maybe I should try to downgrade to 4.2 official from the 4.5 beta first then go to the official 4.5?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by alryder View Post
    Thanks for the response.

I did try to upgrade the software first but it does not recognize that there is an upgrade available, hence the need for jl_commander. I only have the newest version of the os software installed on my computer and uninstalled all of the others before I started the process.

I have deleted the vendor.xml file each time I've installed the new OS software on my computer, I just forgot to add that in the steps above.

After starting Desktop Manager it says it is checking to see if software updates are available, then it goes to the main screen without asking if I want to upgrade.

Maybe I should try to downgrade to 4.2 official from the 4.5 beta first then go to the official 4.5?
    Actually downgrading back to 4.2 is probably a good idea. If you are able to do this then we can trouble shoot from a different point of view.

That's a good point about the beta version. Did your phone come with a cd rom with desktop manager on it? If not , then perhaps you should go to the blackberry download site and download the software provided by your carrier.

If you are having any concern about a usb problem , then I would say reboot the pc and try again. I

I'll try downgrading tomorrow morning. I assume it's the same as upgrading? Uninstall all of the os's, from my computer, install 4.2 official from my carrier on my computer and run desktop manager?
    Then I'll start praying!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast