Lately I have been traveling to Canada from the USA and need to use my ... General Blackberry forum

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME

Need help re wifi and roaming

Advertisement

Lately I have been traveling to Canada from the USA and need to use my bb a lot to make calls. My bill end up being sky high for two week use. My question. If I turn my mobile network off and wifi on and make calls or use the browser that way. Will I still be charged for roaming. I called T-Mobile, but can't get a straight answer.

Thanks in advance

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Not sure about the answer to that, but another option would be to get you BB unlocked and then use a localn SIM card whilst in Canada. Or check with TMobile they may have an option to reduce costs while traveling. When I was with T+Mobile I bought an international plan and was pleasantly surprised by how low my bil was when I was in the UK and Far East

I am currently with ATT and pay for international data which has reduced the bill quite a lot, but still have the roaming probelem on calls in Canada I use my PC for calls with Google Voice or SKYPE to keep costs down

ealvnv no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    If you turn your mobile network off and use UMA to do calls from Canada to USA it will be no charges, same for browser.

At least that is how it worked for me while I was in central america last year

BestWitted no está en línea Stack level 7
    I'm leaving for Europe in a couple of weeks and have been researching this issue for my 8900 and ATT extensively.....this is what I learned and what I plan to do.....it may not work the same with TMobile.
    1. You will be charged for roaming even if you do not answer your phone.....the mere fact that it rings or can ring will trigger a charge with ATT.
    2. You can opt into a pro-rated charge (International Roaming) to add data to your phone......with ATT, it is about .80 cents a day for data.....I plan to use this data for Google Maps only as I don't foresee the need to make calls on this pleasure excursion.
    3. I will leave my radio and WiFi enabled but don't plan on making calls.....but if I did....it would be at the reduced rate with the temporary data plan that has to be enabled by calling customer service or activated with web access....you can't pre-define a "start/end" date yet with ATT.
    4. Four phones will be forwarded to my 8900 and my ATT 8900 number will then be forwarded to my Google Voice number.
    5. Google Voice then attempts to call me with a forwarded call......normally it would be my ATT 8900 number but I really don't want to answer the call much less have it ring.
    6. I will "associate" a number at my brother's office that is used exclusively for outgoing calls.....so there will be no answering machine or human intervention.....Google Voice will call this number but there will be no response so it will go to GV voice mail.
    7. This voice mail will indicate I'm not available but requesting the caller to leave a message including their email address so and I can contact them in that manner.
    8. Google Voice will transcribe that message and email it to me automatically.
    9. If I have my radio on I will most likely receive the message immediately but I don't think I will have Google Maps activated continuously so most likely.....my radio will be off but WiFi is enabled.
    10. I can pick up my messages using WiFi only when I hit a hot-spot or the hotel at night. If there is an immediate need to stay in touch, I can leave the radio enabled for a quick EDGE connection.
    I'm not sure if TMobile has UMA or if it is enabled on their phone....but if it is....you may be able to make calls over your WiFi connection without a data plan.....perhaps someone with more insight on this can jump in as well....good luck.

Thanks ealnv for clarifying the UMA issue....
    "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Enjoying life in Lehi, UT with my BB 9780 on ATT

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    If you turn your mobile network off and use UMA to do calls from Canada to USA it will be no charges, same for browser.

At least that is how it worked for me while I was in central america last year
    Thought so. Thanks. Should make my bill this time a lot less. Find that the calls do drop easily. Guest that's the price to pay.

thaedoya no está en línea Stack level 1
    Well you can use some pc applications that could give you some international free calls. Just let the person you are going to call also use that application.