My Berry would not charge, they said it is the port. Could only use by ... General Blackberry forum

bluefairy1971 no está en línea Stack level 3

Need Help! New Device!

Advertisement

My Berry would not charge, they said it is the port. Could only use by switching batteries with my husband or daughter. Then it said 547 Java error and would not reset. I couldn't not do a reinstall of software because...could not use the USB port. So another berry is on the way. Now my question: How do i transfer my backup file to new device? will that work?
    "If You Don't Like Me Just Remember It's Mind Over Matter..I Don't Mind and You Dont Matter"

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    You simply connect your new device via DM and do the restore function. It ought to work fine. You DID say backup file so I'm assuming that you have backed up the (NOW) not working device.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    You simply connect your new device via DM and do the restore function. It ought to work fine. You DID say backup file so I'm assuming that you have backed up the (NOW) not working device.
    yes!! I did about three weeks ago so should be kinda up to date. Thanks. Just wanted to make sure!
    "If You Don't Like Me Just Remember It's Mind Over Matter..I Don't Mind and You Dont Matter"

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Fairy, There's also an "advanced" part to the backup if you want to selectively restore/eliminate items. Just be aware in case there's something that you DO NOT want to restore.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

well the phone they sent me had 4.2 and when i went to ATT blackberry site the latest said 4.2?? crazy. And i went to the blackberry update page and it kept telling me that my phone had the latest update. So i had to go bootleg and download the 4.5 i found somewhere and then download it. Worked good. Now i am doing the restore like you said. Seems to be working.
    2 Lessons I learned from this!
    Update every week.
    Update every week! lol
    Thanks again. Now
    when i get my Bold in two weeks can i use restore as well or how does that work??

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    The Switch Device Wizard allows the BlackBerry device user to perform the following procedures:
    • Switch from one BlackBerry device to another BlackBerry device
    • Switch from a Palm OS® or Microsoft® Windows Mobile® enabled device to a BlackBerry device
    Switch from one BlackBerry device to another BlackBerry device
    When switching from one BlackBerry device to another BlackBerry device, the Switch Device Wizard is designed to import BlackBerry device applications, organizer data, messages, third-party applications, and BlackBerry Enterprise Server connection options from the existing BlackBerry device to the new BlackBerry device.
    Note: Third-party application migration is not supported on BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and earlier. Switch from a Palm OS or Microsoft Windows Mobile enabled device to a BlackBerry device
    When switching from a Palm OS or Microsoft Windows Mobile enabled device to a BlackBerry device, the Switch Device Wizard is designed to import your organizer data, such as contact, memo, task, and calendar entries, from the existing device to the new BlackBerry device.

Procedure

To switch BlackBerry devices using the switch device wizard of BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager, complete the following steps:
    Note: You can use the switch device wizard to transfer data and services from your current BlackBerry device to a new BlackBerry device.
    Warning: Do not disconnect your BlackBerry device from your computer until the activation process on your BlackBerry device is complete.
    1. Connect your new BlackBerry device to your computer.
    2. Click Yes - Switch my BlackBerry services to this device.
    3. Click Yes - Transfer the data.
    4. Complete the instructions on the computer screen to switch your BlackBerry device.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Magellan,

I think the problem she was having was that the old device had a bad USB port, so using the Switch Device Wizard would not be an option in this case.

I did just use that process last week and it works very well!

Cheers,
    Roger

::EDIT:: Nevermind! You posted that in response to her question about moving to the Bold, in which case it will definitely work well! Carry on!

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    she said that she backed up her device before the issue about 3 weeks ago and will be using that to restore her replacement BB that she is getting soon...hopefully between then and getting her bold she will do more back-ups...then she is getting the Bold which will be backed up from the replacement BB...at least that's what i understood from her last post...
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 12-08-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post
    she said that she backed up her device before the issue about 3 weeks ago and will be using that to restore her replacement BB that she is getting soon...hopefully between then and getting her bold she will do more back-ups...then she is getting the Bold which will be backed up from the replacement BB...at least that's what i understood from her last post...
    Yes correct. i just did the old backup data to the new device. it worked just now so that's done. but now i cant receive emails on new device. i went online and changed device pin and IM number. and sent service books. nothing..so now i am online with At&T now to see.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I bet they tell you to register your device.

Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    I bet they tell you to register your device.
    yeah it said it was registered before i did the backup exchange.
    The rep did something and now it is working. so everything is good to go just wondering what to do when i get my Bold. Since the back up is of curve info how do i transfer data from one type of phone to another?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    You should just be able to use the Switch Device Wizard for that, but another Bold owner might want to chime in for assistance here.