I bought a router, Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, today and I can't make it connect ... General Blackberry forum

sbrown712 no está en línea Stack level 3

Need help agan...wi-fi

Advertisement

I bought a router, Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router, today and I can't make it connect to my 8320. I've read everything I can find but still can't get it. I got some instructions from the BB web site but I can't find all the steps they list.
    1. Set Up Wi_Fi
    2. Click Next
    3. Scan for networks
    4. Wi_Fi is turned n
    5. My router shows up on the list

6. Specify the required security credentials????? What the heck is this and how do I do it?
    7. Click Connect
    8. Save profile... can't get this far
    9. Name profile
    10. Click next.. yea right
    11. Click Finish.. I wish

The only thing I see that doesn't come up on this list is when I click on Connect a window opens that asks if I want to perform WPS set-up. If I click on Yes it says 'Add this PIN to your Wireless Access Point, then it gives me an eight digit number. I have no idea of what any of this means.
    Can anyone help me out with this? I did do a search but couldn't answer my question in here.
    Thanks
    pin: 2488CO6E
    Member of the East Coast Night Owl Club

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Have you checked the Linksys site for there how to?

somthinsim no está en línea Stack level 3
    Specify the required security credentials?????

that is make sure that you pick the right encryption, wep, pre-shared, wpa - psk, that stuff.

without telling us your key, what type of encryption are you using and what are the rest of the related settings for your router.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    You probably need to enter your wep key code for your router.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BLUSLS no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    WOW!!! I know the instructions are pretty self explanatory.

Helpful hint, rtfm beforeyou buy electronics. As a matter of fact research it before u buy. Especially something you don't completely understand.

It is asking for security key that you setup on the router. Duh!!!!! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    On my Linksys WRT54, I can push a button on the front of it, and select something on my phone and it automatically resolves the security. I think it gives you something like 30 seconds after pushing the button on the front.

On my PC's, I had to enter my security code as they wouldn't automatically resolve.

Not quite the kind of answers I was expecting but this is the interweb. I figured it out. Instead of trying to get the router to do everything automatically I had to go in and manually add the network. Going in that way gave me the screens I needed to enter the info that ws being requested.
    Thanks for the help.

somthinsim no está en línea Stack level 3
    I know that some of this seems easy for you as it did for me (especially with my background) but that still is not really cool to be a-hole and make comments like.

" It is asking for security key that you setup on the router. Duh!!!!! ~via BB BLUSLS"

On a lighter note, wyy183 has a Linksys WRT54 (which is tmobile branded) I know this because the but in the front light up white and orange becuase it allows a user to sync a phone with out having to enter in the settings every time the routers information is entered, a cool feature especially for those who dont know how to use a router, or just want to sync their wireless info faster, not to be confused with wireless information relating to the desktop manager.

Last, sbrown712 the reason you may not have received the answers your looking for was becuase either we did not understand what you were asking or did not give enough information. Please keep this in mind for future post since the more information we have, the better your chances are that we would be able to give you the right information/instructions

wyy183 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AAA616
    Quote Originally Posted by somthinsim View Post
    On a lighter note, wyy183 has a Linksys WRT54 (which is tmobile branded) I know this because the but in the front light up white and orange becuase it allows a user to sync a phone with out having to enter in the settings every time the routers information is entered, a cool feature especially for those who dont know how to use a router, or just want to sync their wireless info faster, not to be confused with wireless information relating to the desktop manager.
    Actually, I do have a TMO branded Linksys. But, I also have a non-TMO branded Linksys (that actually belongs to my step-son... and is not connected at the moment.) BOTH have a button on the front that allows you to sync in the same manner. That was why I didn't specify which WRT54 that I have.

Not being a smart-a$$, just clarifying!

Guys, my confusion came in because the screen I was looking at didn't have a place to key in the info I was looking at. I guess I was expecting one thing and had another. Like I said above I was able to figure it out so all is good.
    I just didn't expect the attitude that some of the posters took. If I had all the knowledge that some of you guys have I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. I will be more careful and more thorough before I post a question again.
    Thanks again.