Hi all, Have had 2 blackberrys, thinking Storm, Am in constuction , supervisory, will the ... General Blackberry forum

peeto123 no está en línea Stack level 1

Need advice

Advertisement

Hi all, Have had 2 blackberrys, thinking Storm, Am in constuction , supervisory, will the storm be right for me? I use bluetooth, headset so I seldom needto have out in work areas....what say all

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    Have a storm but even though I had 3 other bb before it it was difficult to get used to. Now I believe it is the best phone I have ever had.
    Great large screen but takes time to get used to typing on it. The OS stil has some issues but getting better with each release.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by peeto123 View Post
    Hi all, Have had 2 blackberrys, thinking Storm, Am in constuction , supervisory, will the storm be right for me? I use bluetooth, headset so I seldom needto have out in work areas....what say all
    Just my advice.....and let's be clear I'm not a "storm hater" , but, in your line of work I would reccomend a BB with a qwerty or sure type keyboard whether it be a curve/javelin, BOLD, or pearl series. I reccomend these for input speed for when you actually do have to pull it out for that specific purpose In the end it all boils down to what you are comfortable with.....that's what really counts.
    Last edited by calm_tiger; 01-09-2009 at 10:28 AM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    Just my advice.....and let's be clear I'm not a "storm hater" , but, in your line of work I would reccomend a BB with a qwerty or sure type keyboard whether it be a curve/javelin, BOLD, or pearl series. I reccomend these for input speed for when you actually do have to pull it out for that specific purpose In the end it all boils down to what you are comfortable with.....that's what really counts.
    Well said, I agree. Only you know best what your usage patterns are and what you personally prefer. I might suggest a full keyboard model, as they remain the popular choice for the business user. Good luck with your decision!
    ~via BoldBerry #6 (wap.pinstack.com)~

bkeen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    fully agree with this one. i know i spent a little bit of time testing several different BBs before being 100% comfortable with the storm. typing on it does that a little use to and of course, like any new thing, there are slight problems with the device for example, my first storm had the whole clicking issue where a part of the screen would not respond. but after verizon replaced that one, i've had no problems with my new one. i'm running .85 on it now and still have had few battery pulls and such. i highly recommand anyone to first go to their local stores and get hands on with the devices.

DaCeige no está en línea Stack level 1
    I've had 5 or 6 of the blackberrys before. Now I'm using the Storm and the iPhone.

In short. If you like the speed of your blackberry, the precision you have from the roller, and you type much, Don't get the storm.

I've mostly had the qwerty keyboard blackberries in the past, and I got my hands on a perl the other day, and I have to say I miss the precision of my later blackberries.

Use the phone much, have a big address book... lets compare making a phone call (atleast the fastest way I've figured out how to do it).

On every blackberry before the storm...
    1. Press call
    2. Start typing a name
    3. Scroll to the correct phone number (optional if there are multiple phone numbers)
    4. Press call

On the storm
    1. Press call
    2. Click on the address book
    3. Click in the find field, or the keyboard at the bottom
    4. Start typing the name
    5. Select the name you want (don't click, or you'll have to pick the text number and its harder to hit, if you clicked... follow the next section)
    6. Press Call
    7. Press the phone number you want to call.

If you clicked on the name instead of following 5,6,7 above...
    6. Click the number you want to dial.
    7. Click the number you want to dial again from the popup menu (much smaller then following above).

I've also found that you can shorten the above steps by starting out clicking the address book, but then pressing the call button on the contact seems to randomly decide if it wants to follow the behavior above or switch to the call screen.

If you use your Storm as a passive device, only read email (don't compose), do light web reading, and only answer calls... its great. If you're a BB power user... over 1k emails a month, you'll notice you stop writing as many emails if you get the storm.

I went from 4k outgoing messages a month to roughly 200. I miss my old Berries.

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I highly recommend physically handling the phone to make the right decision for your needs. It's not enough to base your decision on what others have said, owners included, if you feel you might not like it. This touch screen is a first for BlackBerry and is not for every BB user.

Again, it is not a bad or horrible phone, but there is an adjustment period.

rathompson no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249FD6FD
    Quote Originally Posted by DaCeige View Post
    I've had 5 or 6 of the blackberrys before. Now I'm using the Storm and the iPhone.

In short. If you like the speed of your blackberry, the precision you have from the roller, and you type much, Don't get the storm.

I've mostly had the qwerty keyboard blackberries in the past, and I got my hands on a perl the other day, and I have to say I miss the precision of my later blackberries.

Use the phone much, have a big address book... lets compare making a phone call (atleast the fastest way I've figured out how to do it).

On every blackberry before the storm...
    1. Press call
    2. Start typing a name
    3. Scroll to the correct phone number (optional if there are multiple phone numbers)
    4. Press call

On the storm
    1. Press call
    2. Click on the address book
    3. Click in the find field, or the keyboard at the bottom
    4. Start typing the name
    5. Select the name you want (don't click, or you'll have to pick the text number and its harder to hit, if you clicked... follow the next section)
    6. Press Call
    7. Press the phone number you want to call.

If you clicked on the name instead of following 5,6,7 above...
    6. Click the number you want to dial.
    7. Click the number you want to dial again from the popup menu (much smaller then following above).

I've also found that you can shorten the above steps by starting out clicking the address book, but then pressing the call button on the contact seems to randomly decide if it wants to follow the behavior above or switch to the call screen.

If you use your Storm as a passive device, only read email (don't compose), do light web reading, and only answer calls... its great. If you're a BB power user... over 1k emails a month, you'll notice you stop writing as many emails if you get the storm.

I went from 4k outgoing messages a month to roughly 200. I miss my old Berries.

That's just flat out craziness!

I'm in the natural gas industry (environmental consultant) and wouldn't consider taking a storm to the places I go in the field. I've used several BBs, sure type and QWERTY, I say stick with the 88XX series or the Bold. My Bold has been solid for the abuse I can dish out.

But in the end, what you like/want is what you'll get.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    YIKES! I am too impatient to go through all of that just to make a phone call, let alone send an email, IM, SMS or PIN. I'm happy with what I have right now (until T-Mo gets the 8900 LOL)

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    I programmed one dial for my most called contacts so there's no need to go through all that.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I make calls on my Bold a lot easier, faster & with far less keystrokes than described. I have the 8 most dialed numbers in one touch speed dial. The rest are nearly as fast. Open the contact list. Press the first two letters of first name press send. That easy. The only extra step is if I wish to dial the contacts 2nd or 3rd number that's just one more keystroke. Like anything else it's become automatic. Best of all it keeps a call log for many numbers and the 8 most recent calls are one touch away, as the call log lists them on the large display. Simply press the send button to view & select who you want to call. Easy.
    Storm vs Bold vs 8900 - they're all good, it's all in what you like. I've had them all. That's the beauty of the BlackBerry platform, lots of phones to choose from. You get a trial period so you can try them out & return what you don't like.
    Enjoy!
    ~via BoldBerry (wap.pinstack.com)~