In order to cut down on data roaming charges, it would be great to be ... General Blackberry forum

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3

Need Ability to Download Only Unread Messages on BIS

Advertisement

In order to cut down on data roaming charges, it would be great to be able to NOT download every message, just those that have not already been remotely read on my desktop Outlook or on webmail.

Just turning off data services doesn't really help b/c all the queued messages just download when data service is restored. Again, I'd like an option to download only the UNREAD messages.

csbrown no está en línea Stack level 1
    Have you tried playing with the email filters. You won't segregate unread messages only, however you can arrange for messages that are sent "TO" you to be forwarded and have all messages that you are "CC" on stay off your BB. If you have recurring type messages to something that you subscribed to you can also filter those so that they are not sent to you device. A little more work but if you want to save some data time, this just might work.

Re: Need Ability to Download Only Unread Messages on BIS

Thanks. Yes, I thought of trying the filters, but with 100 emails a day average (most being "TO:" and only 2 subscriptions) , the task of creating a set of filters that works the right way seems like an uphill battle. I also thought of every 15 minutes getting all read emails off the server or into some folder that won't sync to the BB if I'm working on the desktop remotely or using webmail, but that's a pain in the butt. Of course, the lazy way out would be to have some switch at the BB, BIS or IMAP server level.

But I'm certainly open to any ideas and quick fixes from any source.

I would think that frequent international travelers would have asked RIM for something like this. Even my hated Treo had the option. Great option...if only the phone worked.

robertmrome no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~what about using outlook to read the messages on your pop server... You would just have to set the outlook to remove messages from the server then have the blackberry check messages at an interval that is greater than outlook... ie. If the BB is set to check emails every 15 mins like you stayed set outlook to 5 that way every 5 mins it will pull messages off the server before the BB can get them.

That sounds like a possible temporary fix. I'll need to switch from my IMAP to a POP server, right? I wonder if the difference would be a problem for other operations.

I'll still need to "disable" Outlook's pulling them off the server whenever I finish with a remote session, so new messages received after that will go to the BB. And I'll need to avoid using plain webmail since it won't access the desktop or Outlook. But that may work!

Thanks.