Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hello all. I did not know where to put this, so I aplogize if it ... General Blackberry forum

lolabunny333 no está en línea Stack level 2

my pearl will not connect to my PC at all costs!!!

Advertisement

Hello all. I did not know where to put this, so I aplogize if it is in the wrong spot. But I have a severe problem! I have looked on google and other forums and people have had the same problem, but mine is a little different. I have had my pearl for about a year now and it came with a USB cord with it. I have downloaded the DM once before, connected my phone, and it worked perfectly. But now everytime I connect it with the USB cord its telling me that a device has malfunctioned and that it isnt recognized. It is telling me it is an unknown device. I tried it on my other computer, a desktop, and it tells me the same thing. Do you think it is a bad USB cord? Or something bigger? I have Vista running on my laptop, as well. I did a clean uninstall of DM and downloaded the 4.5 version. My pearl however is only a 4.2, but I need to upgrade it. I have basically tried everything, I pulled out the battery of my laptop, let it sit forever, turned it back on, still nothing. Is there a way I can upgrade my phone without connecting it to the computer? Oh and bluetooth connects no problem, but I can only backup my phone or sync my phone, nothing else.
    I hope someone can help me!! Thanks so much!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Lola,

Are you able to charge the device with the USB cable or the wall charger?

I would first try the USB cable and see if that doesn't fix your issue. Could also be some damage to the USB port on your device (which might be hard to see with the naked eye). Try the cable first and we'll take it from there.

Regards,
    Roger

No. When I plug in the USB cord to my computer the lightning bolt comes up, but then goes away after a few seconds, then I get that message saying it isnt recognized. I can charge it from a wall charger no problem. Yesterday I plugged in the USB to my phone and got it to charge for a while, but it still showed up as unknown device and the desktop manager wouldnt see it.

Also, I have read that on the desktop manager people can click on detect under options/connections. I dont have that option on mine. I can only click on USB or Bluetooth and press ok.
    Thanks for replying so quickly.

Sounding more and more like a bad cable or damage to the device USB port. Try a new cable first.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Are you able to access your device as a drive on your pc. Roger correct me if I am wrong but if not that would more than likely be the port or the cable. Correct?

I think she kind of intimated that in her post, if I was reading correctly. It's not just the DM but the PC as well, that's not recognizing the device. Is that correct, Lola?

Ok. I was going to buy a new cable anyway, but I was just making sure nothing else could be wrong. And im not sure if I can access it as a device, and if I could how would I know? I am not super smart with computer stuff. Hah.

You'd be notified at the bottom right corner of your PC when you attached with the USB cable and you'd be able to navigate to the device through Explorer and see it as another available drive, in addition to your the C: drive on your PC and whatever other drives you have, such as CD/DVD, etc.

If you have the device connected with the USB cable, then right click on the Start button at the bottom left of your PC, you'll see an option for Explore. Click on that and then see what it brings up. You'll see something like DVD Drive (E), BlackBerry (F).

Yea I am not seeing anything like that. Grr.

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Then I agree with Roger. Sounds like time for a new cable. Boy he is smart.

LOL! Randy, puh-leeze!

Lola, let us know if the new cable does the trick! Also, unless you have really sharp eyesight, get a magnifying glass and take a look inside the USB port on the device. See if you notice any bent pins.

Ok I will. And...I just looked and I think I see a bent pin. :[ Its lifted a little up from the base.

Ok so I just got it to charge on the USB cord, but I had to push down on the end that plugs in to my phone. Nothing came up on my computer though, not even the bubble telling me it doesnt recognize it, but desktop manager still doesnt give me the option to detect something.

Reboot your PC and try that again.

YAY So I rebooted my computer and I hooked up the USB cord and it works now! Well..kinda haha. It installed the driver as Blackberry Smartphone which is good. And it connected to my DM and on the phone it said connecting to DM but it keeps switching off. It will say it is connected, then it will disconnect. GRR. This is frusterating. But, I think it is my phone. :[ Luckily I am getting a new one soon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast