Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

so my blackberry pearl was stolen just a couple nights ago (only 5 weeks old... ... General Blackberry forum

pnyo11 no está en línea Stack level 1

my blackberry was stolen!

Advertisement

so my blackberry pearl was stolen just a couple nights ago (only 5 weeks old... what horrible luck!) and i was hoping someone could answer some questions for me:

1. is there any way i can track it down? the punks that stole it can't make any calls anyway because i had it password protected, but is there anyway i can locate it?

2. since it was password protected, they won't be able to get into any of my email/addresses/texts/bbm, right? is there any way they could hack into it? can they use my sim card on another phone?

3. i think i may get a new blackberry in the next couple days from a friend, so do I just go to cingular/att and get a new sim card? an can i transfer my PIN or anything?

any help would be appreciated, getting my pearl stolen and being sans bbm/texts/phone/emails pushed to me/internet at my fingertips when i'm traveling has been pretty traumatizing! thanks, pn

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Re: my blackberry was stolen!

pnyo11: I'm not sure on how that all works as I'm on the other side of the world, but my deepest condolences mate.
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

I'm sorry for your lost.. First thing you should do is call your provider and let them know that your bb have been stolen.

1. I don't think there is anyway you can track it down, I'm sorry.

2. That's good that you have your BB password protected, there is no way they can hack into it if you have it password protected, the only way they can hack to it is if they find out your password.

3. When you get your new blackberry, go to your nearest At&t dealer, let them know what happen so they can de-activate your old sim and active you a new one.

Hope that helps!

Mobiman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2071348F

Sorry it got stolen bro.

Well where I come from if the unit is stolen we must have it reported to the cops and get a case number. The network with this police case number can do a trace for you if the handset is being
    used. Note its not easy to make use of the handset if you have a security code on it.
    Your sim card can be used in another if you havent put in a pin number on it. (hope for your sake
    you did put a pin number on it)

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Make sure you report it as stolen to your carrier so that their is no chance of them making calls and you having to foot the bill. Also cancel the account as soon as possible. Cell phone companies aren't like the credit card companies, in that the cell guys try to make you pay all the phone charges, not just the first $50.00. But once the phone info is entered into their system, it will be dead and can't be reactivated (or at least it will be difficult to do so).

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Dub, never use the word cancel with a CSR unless you truly want to cancel the account. lol. Too many bad stories due to that one simple word. Dubdub is correct in his statement that you need to call and let the carrier know that you had your phone stolen. What you need to make sure you say is that you want the account suspended, not cancelled. Suspension will give you 30 days to get another sim card put on the account without having it automatically canceled by the computer.

Zo.

tburke no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

It's too bad you didn't have it on a BES-the remote wipe and lock is perfect. Good luck and I'm sorry to hear about your Pearl.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Kilted Bradley no está en línea Stack level 3

Too bad it's not a BB with onboard GPS. I know sprint offers a "child tracker" where you can go online and see where the phone is on a map! Imagine the look on some puke's face when you showed up at his door "I have traced my device to this location!"

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

a remote self destruct feature would be a nice idea for RIM to work on.

ah thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiman
    Sorry it got stolen bro.

Well where I come from if the unit is stolen we must have it reported to the cops and get a case number. The network with this police case number can do a trace for you if the handset is being
    used. Note its not easy to make use of the handset if you have a security code on it.
    Your sim card can be used in another if you havent put in a pin number on it. (hope for your sake
    you did put a pin number on it)
    Thanks for the help!.. I've temporarily suspended my account, so I don't think they'll get any use of the sim card at least

ps.. not a "bro"... I'm 19/female. but thanks for the help
    Last edited by pnyo11; 06-05-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilted Bradley
    Too bad it's not a BB with onboard GPS. I know sprint offers a "child tracker" where you can go online and see where the phone is on a map! Imagine the look on some puke's face when you showed up at his door "I have traced my device to this location!"
    haha that would be great, I wish!!! I am sure if cingular/att had offered a child tracker program, my mother would have gotten it for me (even though I'm 19!) to keep tabs on me, haha.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

The only way they can get past the password is to type the incorrect password up to 10 times (variable since you can change it thru the security settings). This also wipes the phone and resets it to factory settings (before you personalized it, added/unlocked themes, added apps and ringtones, etc.)

Another thing I do is to go into the Options and put my owner information (name, address, cell phone number) in so when the bb keypad locks itself, this is automatically displayed.

Another popular solution is to use the labels found here www.stuffbak.com
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 06-05-2007 at 01:36 AM.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

This is an excellent reason why your BB should be password protected and/or on a BES where the admin can issue a remote kill.

Vindicated no está en línea Stack level 3

Sorry to hear that!
    ...God Bless...
    ~Vindicated (8100)~

25 Male, Tennessee

You're more than welcome to PIN me Anytime..24066C00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast