Hi All, There must be an answer to this problem, but I have yet to ... General Blackberry forum

DerekTheGeek no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Multiple Email Identities - There must be an answer

Advertisement

Hi All,

There must be an answer to this problem, but I have yet to find it. I have multiple email accounts, like many of you. Some are business and some personal. I want the ability to send email from any of my accounts on my Blackberry, however I want to make sure that when I send an email out from a particular email account that it only appears to be sent from that account.

Now I know there are other solutions out there (BBReply and Pocket Day) but they only change the “reply-to” field in the email. This does not ensure that the email appears to be sent from a specific account. Depending on the recipients email client the "reply-to" field may be simply ignored. In any case the recipient could always check the email headers to see the "from:" field. This may not be an issue for some, but the last thing I want is business clients emailing me at my personal/family email address and vice versa. Believe me, it happens.

Does anyone know of a program, besides (BBReply and Pocket Day) than can accomplish this? Thank you.

- dtg

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Multiple Email Identities - There must be an answer

Your BB can send from any account you have tied to it. All you have to do is change the Send Using: field when you're composing an Email. I can do this with my pearl. I'm not sure what BB you have since it's not listed in your profile, but all newer BBs I know can do it.

Try composing an email and at first it should say [default] by the Send Using field. You should be able to change that. To set your default address that is located under Options>Advanced Options>Message Services>Select the Email addy you want.

Good luck

RoboticGolem no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ab431b

Its even easier if you have an icon for each account, go to the icon for that account and start composing there. It will automatically select that email to send from.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Thank you RedDog187 and RoboticGolem for responding. I have a BB 8830 through Verizon wireless. I looked for the menu options you both spoke of but, I have nothing like what you mentioned. No sign of any "Send Using" field. Also I have no entry for "Message Services" under my advanced options menu. Currently I am using BIS through the Verizon branded Blackberry setup portal. Could it be that the options you spoke of are only available when using BES as opposed to BIS? I don't mind subscribing to an email provider that offers BES if it will allow me to utilize multiple identities. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

- dtg

P.S. Just thinking some more on your posting. Are using BES or BIS? Or neither?

Naked Wife no está en línea Stack level 2

Its available through BIS. When composing the email, at the very top is the option that says "send using". Hit the space bar and it changes to the different email accounts you have set up on your BIS. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wife
    Its available through BIS. When composing the email, at the very top is the option that says "send using". Hit the space bar and it changes to the different email accounts you have set up on your BIS. Good luck.
    I dont have any such menu option. When composing an email I select the "Blackberry" key to open a menu. These are the options as listed ...

Spelling
    Help
    --------------
    Save Draft
    --------------
    Add Cc:
    Add Bcc:
    Attach Address
    Attach File
    --------------
    Edit AutoText
    Options
    --------------
    Show Symbols
    --------------
    Switch Application
    Close

Does anyone else have these menus?

- dtg

You don't have to hit the menu button. Above where it says "To" as in who the receipient is, it should say "send using". Do you have more than one email account set up on your BIS?

Send Using:[Default]
    To:
    Cc:
    Subject:

That's how mine looks. I put the cursor on "default" and hit the space bar to change the account.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you may need to scroll up within the email to see this field.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Derek how are you coming with this?

Hi All,

Thanks so much for replying. The way my mail is setup is all my email comes into one (1) mailbox. This way I have one place to check/read all my mail. When using my webmail or desktop email client I use identities to determine which account my emaill is sent out under.

My guess is that the Blackberry will not function this way. I wonder if I need to set up "accounts" for each email that I want to send email out as ... at my mail host level. Has anyone done this, or something similar, with their mail hosting? It seems as though though the Blackberry itself is serving as the "one mailbox" where all mail comes into.

So it's because my BIS only has one Email account that I am not seeing the option to "Send Using:". Does this sound correct?

- dtg

travisj2002 no está en línea Stack level 1

I have the exact same problem. I have an alumni e-mail address that is forwarding only. That is, it has no e-mail account to log in to, but must be forwarded to my main e-mail address.

Outlook is able to change my From: to this e-mail address.

At first, my blackberry couldn't act as this e-mail address *at all*. Then I figured out that I could create an empty gmail address as my account, and set my "From" as my alumni address. Then something changed at BIS and "From" became "reply to". I didn't realize this change at first (they didn't say anything!) and I sent out a number of professional e-mails with my unprofessional e-mail showing.

Now, if on my blackberry I choose my "alumni" address to send from, my Reply To address is set correctly, but my From: address is shown as an e-mail address I don't use or want others to see. There seems to be no way to change the actual "From" address.

If you have your Blackberry pulling email from one email address, it won't give you the option to send from another, other than the reply-to you can change in the BIS set-up.

RoboticGolem no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ab431b

you will need to have the account set up on your phone, if you only have the one account on the phone, that's all you'll be able to send from.