Hey all - I did some research on the forums, other sites, etc. and this ... General Blackberry forum

hyperjimmy no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Move from 8700c (on BES) to T-mobile Pearl - will it work?

Advertisement

Hey all - I did some research on the forums, other sites, etc. and this all looks possible but I’d like to get any pointers you all may have (you’re all much more experience at this that I).

Background: Treo 650 on companies GoodLink server. Treo is a brick, having issues, would like a cool new device, enter the BB Pearl.

Plan:
    1. Company is providing me an “upgrade” to BB server with a BB 8700c (they won’t purchase the Pearl and won’t add personal devices to the server).

2. I purchased a T-mobile Pearl and once I receive it I plan to unlock it with gsmphonesource.com (for use on Cingular)

3. Once I get the company provided BB 8700c, I’ll install the desktop software and do a device swap with the wizard.

4. Put the BB 8700 Sim in the Pearl and I should be good to go. Right?
    Anyone see any issue with this? Any pointers or gotchas to look out for? Do I first need to install the Cingular OS on the pearl?

Cheers!

mobilehavoc no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23ec80a2

Re: Move from 8700c (on BES) to T-mobile Pearl - will it work?

I'm in the same boat - I have a BB 8700c at work on BES and a Cingular 8100 Pearl for personal use. I'd love nothing more than to be able to get my BES email on my Pearl as well.

HOWEVER, although it depends on your company, most BES servers enforce an IT Policy which can range from not being able to send PIN messages to not being able to install anything on your device or even make phone calls.

So the problem is, the steps you describe will work perfectly fine, HOWEVER if your corporate BES has some type of IT policy it will then be installed on your Pearl when you swap your 8700c with it on BES. Once it's on, it's a royal pain in the arse to get it off if at all.

Best solution is to look at your BB 8700c's IT Policy and see if it's something you can live with on your Pearl. Mine dissallows any apps to be installed which is not cool with me.
    8100c - Personal on BIS
    8700c - Work on Corporate BES

"Only 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that don't"

Quote Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
    Best solution is to look at your BB 8700c's IT Policy and see if it's something you can live with on your Pearl. Mine dissallows any apps to be installed which is not cool with me.
    Good point: How does one go about looking at the IT policies on the 8700?

evilcaptain no está en línea Stack level 3

May be easier to ask your IT department what is the policy. If not, then try doing some things like installing apps and see if you are able to.

Thx. The IT guys said that they won't add a personal device to the server so I don't really want to tip them off that I'm planning on doing just that. I'm also betting that they haven't set policies...

One other question before I embark on this weeks adventure. Do I need to install the Cingular OS on the t-mobile device before doing the Switch Device Wizard?

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It won't hurt
    But you can after as well.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

No need to install the carrier-specfic OS. Configuration is handled by the service books and not the OS load. I actually wouldn't recommend updating the OS unless there's a bug fix that addresses an issue you're having or adds a feature you want.

I don't recommend doing this because of the IT policy issue. Plus, I'm sure that attempting to bypass their nonstandard/no personal device policy isn't a good idea. Good luck!

Thanks for the info - I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Update: everything appears to be working! Can't get Yahoo Go to work but not sure what the issue is with that...