A couple of you might remember that a few weeks back I couldn't get Google ... General Blackberry forum

Kortanis no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24AA980E

More google talk trouble

Advertisement

A couple of you might remember that a few weeks back I couldn't get Google Talk to stay installed. Every time I would use the desktop manager it would uninstall it.
    Well, through my frustration I had then made a decision to switch to Jivetalk. Good decision!

Now irony bashes me in the face with a cast iron skillet. I can't uninstall gTalk. It for some reason does not show up in my applications list to delete. However it remains in my application menu.
    I've tried reinstalling it and that has not added it back to my applications list. Of course, the desktop manager is now finally okay that gtalk exists on my BB.

Any ideas? Right now I am stuck hiding gtalk's icon as my only option.

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: More google talk trouble

Kortanis,

I am sorry to hear about your issue with googletalk. Here is a little something to help. Maybe we can make a sticky of it?

This article applies to the following:
    BlackBerry® Device Software 4.0 and later
    BlackBerry wireless devices with a color screen and at least 16 MB of memory
    Google Talk™ for BlackBerry devices
    Details

This procedure removes all traces of Google Talk application from the from the BlackBerry device. The procedure consists of the following three tasks:
    Delete the three service books associated with Google Talk.
    Delete the two modules associated with Google Talk.
    Register the device on the wireless network.
    To delete the service books for Google Talk

Complete the following steps:
    On the Home screen, click Options. Note: Depending on the theme running on your device, you may need to click Settings, then Options.
    If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 or later, click Advanced Options, then Service Book. If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 or earlier, click Service Book.
    Click the Key Negotiation [KEYNEGO] service key and select Delete.
    Click the BBFS1 [BBIMCONFIG] service key and select Delete.
    Click the BBFS1 [BBIM] service key and select Delete.
    Click the trackwheel and select Close.
    To delete the modules for Google Talk

Complete the following steps:
    On the Home screen, click Options. Note: Depending on the theme running on your device, you may need to click Settings, then Options.
    If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 4.1 or later, click Advanced Options, then Applications. If you are running BlackBerry Device Software 4.0 or earlier, click Applications.
    Click the trackwheel and select Modules.
    Click net_rim_bb_qm_google and select Delete.
    When prompted to reset the device, click No.
    Click net_rim_bb_qm_google_resource_en and select Delete.
    When prompted to reset the device, click Yes. The device is reset.
    Register the device on the wireless network

Once the device has returned to the Home screen, register the device on the wireless network.

Click on options >> Advanced Options >> Host Routing Tables >> Register

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Awesome details. Thanks!
    I do have one problem though, as I stated (perhaps poorly), the two 'net_rim_...' Modules do not exist in my applications list and therefore cannot delete them.

The application however runs without error. If I delete those three service books, is there a possibility of getting a reinstall to work, in order to restore the missing modules so tge application could be unistalled properly? Also, will deleting those service books have a negative effect on Jivetalk or any other IM product installed on the device?

Thanks!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

you can always get the service books back by resending them. Really no harm in deleting them, because they are usually just a couple of clicks away.

EDIT:
    Also there is a app called surewipe from mobylo. There's a free trial i think it will delete apps that won't delete. Could be of some help.
    http://mobile.lockergnome.com/product.asp?id=10495
    Last edited by reddog187; 05-29-2007 at 02:40 PM.

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Thanks red, always a big help!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

anytime

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Did any of our suggestions work Kortanis?

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

I tried deleting the service books. It threw an exception after rebooting but then I resent them again and it rebooted clean. Gtalk is not visible anywhere, but I don't imagine its actually gone yet since it wasn't ever really deleted in the first place...

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Well, since I did this my connectivity has gone to crap... My browser doesnt seem to stay connected or at least times out frequently. Jive talk will stay connected but my browser requests just timeout. My email has also stopped arriving in a timely fashion.

So I am currently in the later half of a downgrade to TMo 4.2.0 and reinstall of the Rogers 4.2.1.94. After I downgraded I still got that exception. So it seems that may be unrelated to the OS. I had asked before, but doing the steps you recommended, does it have a chance to break other IM apps, or at this point even my browser? If I still get this exception after I reinstall I'll need to get an idea of where to start looking.

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

Here is the exception:

Uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.ControlledAccessExceptio n

PIN/ID
    24AA980E

I'm still working on this but I think I have figures this error out.

This is apparently a problem with or even a corrupted security setting. There isnt an indication of which one, so I reset all of the security settings to defualts and I think that worked. I'll post if if comes back but for now it hasn't popped up.

Do we have an exception error sticky anywhere? This could be a good asset for future stackers.