Hi - we're just getting started with handhelds in our company and are going to ... General Blackberry forum

Gar-williams no está en línea Stack level 3

Mobile Data Policy

Advertisement

Hi - we're just getting started with handhelds in our company and are going to standardise on BBs - of course! We've provided data cards to some staff for a while now. Because of cost considerations we obviously can't go handing out BBs to everyone who thinks they might need one or because they like the idea of having one. Depending on data volumes, it may be more appropriate for someone to have a data card rather than a BB if they're going to be away from a desktop with a decent internet connection and need to work with large attachments etc. Equally, there may be people who need both email on the go and large data volume capability, so maybe an 8707 is a better bet rather than a BB and a data card.

We will need to 'ration' according to business need etc and I want to put in place some sort of policy guidance to deal with this fairly. Rather than reinventing the wheel, does anyone out there have anything they can share with me?

Any help greatly appreciated

scaredpoet no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Mobile Data Policy

Well, a lot of it depends on the wireless company that is servicing your Blackberries and how much they are charging you. I know in my case (I'm with Sprint) it's actually cheaper to have a Blackberry with tethering capability than it is to have a regular cell phone and separate wireless data card. And in virtually every case, it's definitely less expensive to issue a Blackberry and enable tethering, than it is to issue both a Blackberry and wireless data card.

The only drawback to tethering with a Blackberry is that you can only do voice or data at one time, not both simultaneously.

Thanks Scaredpoet. We're looking at UK data plan pricing options as part of this as, like you say, a tethered BB will deal with both issues. Uk providers seem to stick the arm in on BB data plan pricing.

What I'm looking for some help with is developing a policy that when someone says, "hey, I need a BlackBerry", there is something that provides a guide to determine whether they really do or not, or if a data card is more appropriate etc. Basically a clear and fair procedure to determine need, that would also sift out those that don't need one but think they do, if you see what I mean.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Gar,

I know a lot of companies, base their decisions several factors but I woud say they all boil down to the necessity of user to make informed company or programmatic decissions rapidly while away from the office and how often that user is on travel or away access to corporate email.

There is a base requirement established as to position or level in the corporation, and then they review each request on a case by case evaluation of the requesting users justification.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Rcbjr

Thanks and you're right. I guess I was after something 'handy' so I wouldn't have to put finger to keyboard too much.... some might call that being lazy

I was just checking out data plan prices re the above. Appears that in UK we pay dearly for BB data plans: Vodafone 6MB per month, Ł22/month (about $40) if you are on BES, or about half of that if BIS. They say that RIM only allow them a maximum data allowance per device of 6MB per month, but they are supposedly negotiating with RIM to increase this.

Now, OK, BlackBerry is not as well established in UK / Europe as in the US, but this does seem to be pretty restrictive and expensive. From what I have read elsewhere in the Stacks, costs may be a lot cheaper in US?

Also, any ideas why the BES option is so much more expensive? I suspect it's got something to do with subsidizing the BES software as the data allowances aren't any higher.

Dilseachd no está en línea Stack level 1

Prices are definitely cheaper in the US, most of the carriers offer a BES unlimited data plan for under $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilseachd
    Prices are definitely cheaper in the US, most of the carriers offer a BES unlimited data plan for under $50.
    Just love getting shafted! Rip-off Britain strikes again....:cry: