Hi folks, Does any one know if the messenger service apps we have ( 5 ... General Blackberry forum

salth20nut no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    313BF046

Question Messenger Service Questions...(ie: ICQ, BB Msgr Etc)

Advertisement

Hi folks,
    Does any one know if the messenger service apps we have ( 5 differnent ones I believe) have info that would show up on a phone bill like a text? I was under the impression that since they are web based, theres no issues like that, but I'll admit Im just guessing. Is any one of them better than the other? Windows Live vs yahoo? ICQ vs. BB Msgr?
    Thanks in advance!

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask
    They use data. So if you have unlimited data plan you'll be ok/no extra charges.

PIN/ID
    313BF046
    Hayden,
    thanks man....im more curious if the usage of the messenger functions show up on phone bills like texts do for some....for instance, would the people/contacts we chat with be viewable on a bill??
    ANy thoughts on which on is best?? For example, yahoo messenger and Windows Live need seperate log ins so they'd be secure from someone shankin your phone and snooping around in it to see whos in contact lists , right? whereas BB messenger would have the contacts list sitting there when it was opened up, making it less secure in that regard....am I right??
    Thanks...

PIN/ID
    313BF046
    Hello, anyone??? Im still looking for an answer to this regarding the BB Messenger being a RIM function and not aphone carrier function..therefoer it should not
    show up on a phone bill like texts, right??
    Thanks..

biff2kplus1 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Like the previous response, it is just data usage so there is no "per transaction" log in your bill. So no, your parents or your gf won't be able to see who you are chatting with.

As for your question of which I'm client is best...they are all techically the same app. Since they use PUSH that means a RIM server somewhere actually logs into your account and then ust pushes messages up to you. If you look at all the I'm clients they look like all they did was change the logo on them. So my answer to you would be, "use the I'm client you use on your pc".

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    BBM works off of a data plan or wi-fi connection. The same as the other I'm services. If your seeing any type of charge for data, then likely you don't have an a data plan and are being charged per byte of transfer, or you have a tiered data plan and have exceeded your allotment. There are some types of chat programs however that use SMS (text) to send and receive messages. I would make sure you're not using any of these.

Short answer is no, BBM messages will not show up as texts on a bill. As far as I'm programs, they're all more or less the same. If you want a client that will log into all of the major services, I did a review on the 3 big ones about a month or so ago here on PinStack. That might be a good starting point for you. If you only use say AIM because that's what all your friends are on, just use that. It shouldn't show up as text charges either.

PIN/ID
    313BF046
    Both of you, awesome, thanks!! Thats what I was looking for....the transparencey of it all really....:-)
    Thanks for the help...I truly appreciate it!!
    Cheers!