Uggg - well what can you expect from an operation that plans to get 35,000+ ... General Blackberry forum
MDS Disabled, crying now...
Uggg - well what can you expect from an operation that plans to get 35,000+ people set up on no less than five different platforms running three different email clients (and has chosen Windows Mobile as the final solution - for everyone except the people that own the company that is. THEY are allowed to have BlackBerries, natch!).
For some reason the people in charge decided that BES's MDS was insecure, and this week disabled MDS and removed the BlackBerry Browser. I have probably a dozen or more apps that require a data connection. Most are well designed and have settings to accommodate for only a BIS connection, but some (BBCorrector, Market Explorer, Market Filters, Stock Quote Viewer) refuse to cooperate.
I'm with AT&T and tried setting the APN to "public" and "proxy" (without any username or password) as well as some Cingular settings that used to work to no avail. Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated.
That said, I have an even bigger problem with one of our users (yea - I do the field support, I'm NOT a BES Admin). This problem is with a Verizon client. He has only one Browser icon (no Vendor browser), and now when he clicks it, he gets a message that Browsing has been disabled by IT Policy! I called Verizon who said it's the BES Admin's problem (yea, thanks), and was told that doing a Register Now in the Host Routing Table would resend Verizon's service books. Well I don't think that's true, and it didn't work.
Any ideas on how to resolve this problem short of wiping and re-activating would be greatly appreciated!
Convince the "people in charge" to leave technical decisions to technically
I have worked in all three sectors, Federal, State, and private companies,
and one thing I learned when starting out was this: you have to manage your manager.
I had to protect the poor, technically challenged, highly burdened by responsibilities chap from
a) triggering on something,
b) making a spot decision... and then
c) sticking to it so as not to go back on his word and/or risk his authority
[True leaders are not like that, of course. But true leaders are in short supply.]
So I always vetted and "adapted" proposals/presentations destinied for the Higher Desks . Smoothing over the edges, natch
Regarding your problem: sometimes micro-managers need to be shown the adverse effects of a misguided decision of theirs. If this case is serious enough, maybe it will serve.
If there is no Internet Browser(Carrier's browser and will not use BES) it sounds like the IT Policy disabled it. If resending the service books does not help then I can think of two ways off the top of my head. One get the BES Admin to change the setting in the IT Policy and push it down to the device. Two remove the IT Policy on that particular device via this thread. I'm sure there are other methods but I'm drawing a blank. Hope this helps.
The error message is erroneous, otherwise I'd have no browser - and neither would the other 4,600+ BlackBerry users. It's also not a Verizon specific problem, although we have only around 700 Verizon BlackBerries.
Originally Posted by jrockett
If it were being applied by IT Policy, removing it (actually replacing it with an IT Policy that allows it) would be useless since the company's IT Policy would be applied as soon as the device reactivated. I'm also trying to avoid a wipe and reactivate.
Thanks for the feedback though.
With many thanks to Eddie - developer of WeatherBug (OTA - Web) for helping get apps working...
Both problems (the Verizon user and my app problem) ended up being Service Books.
For the Verizon user, I had to delete ALL Service books that related to the Browser (had Browser anywhere in the name!) and resend them.
The problem with my Apps was the IPPP for BIBS [IPPP]. Some apps appear to look at this service book to determine how to connect, and apparently if you have an MDS connection, it points back to that. The Service Book was not updated with the removeal of MDS, so some apps (very few) kept trying to connect through MDS. Once this service book was deleted and resent, the problem went away. Of course, the TCP/APN settings needed to be correct too.
The one disappointing thing I learned is that there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to "pull" service books from the BlackBerry.
Supposedly you get BIS service books resent by using Options --> Advanced Options --> Host Routing Table --> [Click] Register Now, and BES service books by using Options --> Security Options --> General Settings, scroll down to Services: Desktop --> [Click] Regenerate Encryption Key, but neither of these methods proved to retrieve everything needed.
For BES the only reliable way to refresh the service books is to either resend them from the BES, or delete all Desktop[...] service books and connect up to a computer with Desktop Manager configured for the BES connection.
For BIS, the only way to get all the service books was to connect to the BIS site, go to Service Books and hit the [Send Service Books] button.
Hope this helps anyone stuck with a similar situation!
Tags for this Thread