After talking to a tmo tech rep about leaking memory on my bb she sent ... General Blackberry forum

coreysr no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24426C48

maximize memory and battery life

Advertisement

After talking to a tmo tech rep about leaking memory on my bb she sent me the following email:

BlackBerry wireless devices based on Java™ depend on File Free flash memory for many tasks. Having little File Free flash memory available can lead to delays (Hourglasses) because the process for recovering blocks of memory, called Garbage collections, is happening frequently and is taking more time.
    Java garbage collections automatically reclaim file space that is no longer in use by the Java operating system. These garbage collections can also move memory that is in use to combine free memory into larger memory blocks. Just as a personal computer will swap memory to the hard drive (e.g., virtual memory) when it is running out of RAM, when the SRAM on the handheld runs out of space, it is designed to swap memory out to the slower Flash memory.

NOTE: If the BlackBerry Flash memory is also full, then the device cannot swap out SRAM memory to Flash memory easily. This in turn, causes more frequent and longer garbage collections.

Below*are some steps to create more free space on the handheld:

* Monitor available memory

* Click on the Options application and select Status,*view storage space.
    * The File Free field displays the current amount of free data storage.
    * The File Total field displays how much storage space remains after loading the Radio, the Operating System and basic applications.

* NOTE : Make sure the File Free value is accurate by performing a hard reset to initiate a garbage collection.Maintain a minimum File Free of approximately 400 – 500KB. This amount of free space is not mandatory, but maintaining a reasonable amount of free Flash memory will lead to better overall system performance

* Delete Old Items
    Change the Keep Messages setting on the BlackBerry wireless handheld to 15 or 30 days to reduce the number
    of old messages taking up space.

* In the Messages application, click the trackwheel and select Options from the menu.
    * In the Messages Options screen, click General Options.
    * change the Keep Messages setting to 15 or 30 days. Otherwise.

* NOTE: The handheld automatically deletes old messages when operating on low memory

* Change the Keep Appointments setting to 15 or 30 days to avoid old calendar events taking up space.

* In the Calendar application, click the trackwheel and select Options from the menu.
    * In the Calendar Options screen, change the Keep Appointments setting to 15 or 30 days.

* NOTE: Deleting these entries does not affect recurring appointments because those are represented on the handheld as a single appointment.
    * NOTE: These deletions do not occur in the Microsoft® Outlook or IBM Lotus Notes desktop email program

* Clear the browser cache often.

* In the Browser application, click the trackwheel and select Options from the menu.
    * In the Browser Options screen, select Cache Operations and click on Clear Content Cache to clear the
    various caches.

* Remove Unnecessary Items

* Remove any applications that*is not used *(i.e., Phone, Browser, Tasks, MemoPad, Help, or other third
    party applications). Removing unnecessary applications leaves more data space for applications that you
    use regularly.

* Remove applications from the BlackBerry wireless handheld

* Click the Options icon and select Applications from the menu.
    * Scroll to the application you would like to delete, click the trackwheel and
    select Delete from the menu.

* Verify that Optional Wireless Transport Layer Security (WTLS) Support, (an optional Browser component) is
    not installed on the BlackBerry wireless handheld unless*required to access*Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) infrastructure.
    * Minimize the number of contacts stored in the Address Book. BlackBerry Handheld Software version 4.0 includes a Remote Address Lookup feature. Access addresses from the corporate address directory instead of including them in the handheld Address Book. This feature is also available for handhelds that are enabled on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 3.5 or later for Microsoft Exchange, or BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 2.2 or later for IBM Lotus Domino.

Adjust Settings for Optimal Efficiency:

* If using BlackBerry Desktop Software, disable the forwarding option of messages to the BlackBerry wireless
    handheld when it is cradled. This will avoid unnecessary duplication of emails to both the desktop computer as
    well as the handheld, while working on the desktop computer.

* NOTE: In Desktop Manager, click Redirector Settings.
    Select the Disable Email redirection while your handheld is connected checkbox and click OK.

* Set the Wireless Email Reconciliation option to Prompt for deletions. This option allows you to delete emails
    locally to save space on the handheld without necessarily deleting the emails from the original mailbox.

* In the Messages application, click the trackwheel and select Options from the menu.
    * In the Messages Options screen, select Email Reconciliation and change the Delete On setting to Prompt.
    * Click Save.

* For large messages, the More and More All features are available for up to 32KB of a message; however,
    these features should only be used when necessary.
    * Disable the Auto More function.

* In the Messages Options screen, click General Options and change the Auto More setting to No.

* For BlackBerry handhelds running version 3.8 or 4.0 handheld software, disabling Content Protection and/or
    Content Compression will allow for improved system performance. However, using this option will eliminate
    additional security for stored data and will decrease file system space.

* From the handheld Home screen click Options and click Security
    * from the Options screen. In the Security screen, change the Conten Protection and the Content Compression options to Disabled.

How to Optimize Battery Power:

* The Auto On/Off feature is designed to program the handheld to automatically power off and power on.

* NOTE: On the Home screen,*select Options.
    * Select Auto On / Auto Off to select the time the handheld will turn
    off and on.

* When wireless coverage is not needed, Select Turn Wireless Off to avoid unnecessary attempts by the radio to
    find coverage.
    * For Bluetooth enabled BlackBerry handhelds, Select Turn Bluetooth Off, if it is not in use.
    * BlackBerry handhelds should be kept in their holsters when not in use because this will turn off the LCD screen.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Useful info, thanks for passing it along!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    Your definition of file total seems a bit off, or I'm missing something. I believe file total is the total memory on your phone which for all 8100s should be 64mb.

Great post though, lots of good tips.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    24426C48
    Your welcome. The info posted was an email sent to me via a tmo blackberry support technician.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38
    sounds about right to me, although to be honest my berry actually uses as much as and over 2 mbs of memory, so i think to be safe, at least 6 mbs should always be free!
    "Drive by tornado-kicking, boy, i wish i could see that" - Yaku
    "Yeah! It was epic" - Gene

jlink38 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    3014C29D

* Remove any applications that*is not used *(i.e., Phone, Browser, Tasks, MemoPad, Help, or other third
    party applications). Removing unnecessary applications leaves more data space for applications that you
    use regularly.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Go ahead and try to remove Phone and Browser. See how far DM lets you go. Who wrote this?
    Last edited by jlink38; 06-24-2008 at 10:35 AM.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Fairly common knowledge and has been posted before but good info none the less.

monim361 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    248fd367
    Thanks! Very good info!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink38 View Post

use regularly.

Go ahead and try to remove Phone and Browser. See how far DM lets you go. Who wrote this?
    I have to agree, amidst some of this good info is... well, garbage. Maintain a minimum file free of 400 - 500 kb?! At that point, you've already lost your txt msgs, call logs and probably emails.

People will actually start to believe that.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

PIN/ID
    24426C48
    I wish I was able to provide you with the authors name however it was not included in the email. I figured some of the info was BS but other aspects were pretty good.it all came about while setting up the memory cleaner function on my curve. We chatted and I according to her t mobile doesn't plan on releasing 4.5 for the 8320 anytime soon. They are getting the kickstart and the bold. Just her info to me. Sorry if there is any confusion about the article~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

natesax7 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    244d259a
    That's a bit lengthy of an email just for memory leaks.

As long as you don't neglect the maintenance for your BB, you shouldn't see this issue anyhow.

It's like cleaning your house before guests come over. Put in the work before you need to 'perform' and all is well

(That was awesome of the TMO rep to send that though! It looks like it took awhile to write!)

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Yeah, kudos to the rep for the time and effort out in, but like many other reps they've fallen short in the information in a few areas. I just hope they're not telling everyone to only keep 500kb free...yikes!

eastend no está en línea Stack level 1
    i agree

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink38 View Post

use regularly.

LOL!!! I can picture someones face when saying that. Lol