Just about every gps navigation map for the 8300 I can find requires some sort ... General Blackberry forum

linesplice no está en línea Stack level 1

Question maps that do not require data access?

Advertisement

Just about every gps navigation map for the 8300 I can find requires some sort of connection. If I'm in a rural location that has spotty phone service, it seems like the applications aren't going to be much good because I won't have data access to the internet. Are there any maps we can download and not have to worry about having a good cell signal but will still work with gps?
    Thanks!

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: maps that do not require data access?

Unfortunately, that is the weakness of a cellphone based GPS Unit. Without a data connection for the map app to communicate, the data provided by the GPS Unit won't have the map data to line it up with.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Not at the moment.

sickchilly no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20CFA98A

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    Unfortunately, that is the weakness of a cellphone based GPS Unit. Without a data connection for the map app to communicate, the data provided by the GPS Unit won't have the map data to line it up with.
    It's not just any cell phone based GPS. There are a number of GPS softwares for Windows Mobile which store maps on the SD/MMC/mSD/etc. card which are always available, not data connection needed. TomTom, iGuidance, iGo, etc. come to mind. Unfortunately, none of them develop for BB. Sure wish that would change. I love TomTom on my TyTN. And iGo's new 3D building view looks pretty sweet.
    -T