Hi, Does anyone know why the Maps or Google Maps does not work over WIFI ... General Blackberry forum

andy_zot no está en línea Stack level 1

Maps & Carrier / Data Connection

Advertisement

Hi,
    Does anyone know why the Maps or Google Maps does not work over WIFI and has to have a DATA connection?
    Is it just another excuse to rip off the customer?

Thanks

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_zot View Post
    Hi,
    Does anyone know why the Maps or Google Maps does not work over WIFI and has to have a DATA connection?
    Is it just another excuse to rip off the customer?

Thanks
    I don't know why it doesn't work under wi-fi only, and I wish it did too, but how can a free application be a "rip-off?"
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    I'm confused. An app that's free, does what is advertised is a rip off?
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

zyiro no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    302A0AFF
    i dont see it as a rip off when its free like the others said.

Now on the other hand a blackberry with no data plan is a rip-off.

andy_zot no está en línea Stack level 1
    I appreciate that the app is free but you cannot use it for free. Unless you are on an unlimited data plan which in the UK is quite expensive, I'm on the Vodafone network via my employer and am tied to what they are willing to pay for.
    It just seems a little daft and if there were no catches it would work via wifi, which is the same for other apps like - Facebook, Yahoo Messenger and MSN, all have to work via the data plan and will not work via WIFI.

I don't trust what doesn't make sense.

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Ahhhhh, now that makes more sense. Gotcha.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_zot View Post
    I appreciate that the app is free but you cannot use it for free. Unless you are on an unlimited data plan which in the UK is quite expensive, I'm on the Vodafone network via my employer and am tied to what they are willing to pay for.
    It just seems a little daft and if there were no catches it would work via wifi, which is the same for other apps like - Facebook, Yahoo Messenger and MSN, all have to work via the data plan and will not work via WIFI.

I don't trust what doesn't make sense.
    I understand too but some aps work on wi-fi and others don't. We don't understand the reasons why in many cases. It's not a rip-off though - it's just the way it works.

Maybe in the future Google will release a version that also works on wi-fi. Let's hope so for users like you who have expensive fees for unlimited data.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com