Is there any possible way to get the info. from one bb (any model) to ... General Blackberry forum

TainoIndio Guest

Making a back up All info on bb without BBdesktop?

Advertisement

Is there any possible way to get the info. from one bb (any model) to a dest. file or another bb? OTA? Bluetooth?

Thank you in advance!

J

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Making a back up All info on bb without BBdesktop?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Not without the DM. You need the DM to create a backup. What are you trying to accomplish? I believe the DM creates files that it can only read.

TainoIndio Guest

Well lets just hypothetically speaking I get my hands on a bb that I found and I know the password by the grace of god , and I need to get the info from that said device.... for lets just say legal purposes(mainly educational for security purposes). Can I do that with out syncing it via PC? Remember time is precious on this project.

Does that gives you an idea where i am trying to go on this?

All I need at this time is to prove that I can at least get to the address book, and lift it from there.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

You may be able to do the address book transfer via bluetooth. Without the DM it is about your only hope.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

I certainly hope not. I won't want people making backups of my blackberry using bluetooth while sitting next to me at a restaurant!

Is this an act of personal (or professional) espionage?
    Domino 6.5.6FP1 | BES 4.1.4

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

I'm pretty sure you cannot...without using the Desktop Manager.

There's a reason for this. Security. IF you do know the password then using the DM won't be a problem.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by TainoIndio
    Can I do that with out syncing it via PC? Remember time is precious on this project.
    Sounds fishy but syncing (or using the backup utility) is about as quick as it would get.
    Last edited by takeshi; 08-21-2007 at 09:44 AM.

TainoIndio Guest

Thanks its for proffessional espionage. I just want to give my clients the warm and fuzzy's. But if I figure it out I will let you guys know how to protect yourself....

Thanks again!

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Hmmm...also have to say this sounds a bit odd...

Only way I'm aware of (so far) that might work would be to do the following:
    - turn on bluetooth
    - pair the blackberry with a PC
    - go into bluetooth settings on the blackberry, select the paired device (your PC)
    - hit the menu button, and select "send address book"

The Blackberry and the PC should be able to support "PIM Item Transfer" operations (PIM = personal information manager = Outlook phone book). I just started to play with this a bit with my Curve and PC, and after a couple of experiments, my PC was prompting me to accept the PIM transfer request from the Blackberry, and the Blackberry showed a popup indicating that it was preparing the address book. I didn't follow through, for a couple of reasons: when I dug deeper into the bluetooth settings on the PC, I saw that the default PIM transfer process was set up to sync the blackberry with Outlook on my PC -- I did NOT want to risk having it insert duplicate entries in my Outlook address book (I've suffered through that with other sync'ing products and other phones in the past, and don't want to repeat it).

I saw enough prompts on the blackberry and the PC to convince me that this could, potentially, work, although it might take a few more experiments. Only thing that appeared to be a potential roadblock: when I navigated the PC to the bluetooth folder, selected the Blackberry as a paired device and checked properties, I did NOT see that it supported PIM transfer. This is a bit odd, considering my experience reported above, in which the BB indicated that is was preparing to transfer the address book! I suspect that the feature is buried in the device somewhere, but that it might have been crippled (in whole or part) as a security measure.

I would personally love to know more about this. In the past, I had a phone (non-blackberry) set up to auto-sync with my PC whenever the devices came in range of each other. This way, whenever I came home and dropped the phone on my desk, the bluetooth connection would establish itself and the devices would sync. I have a feeing that RIM wouldn't go this far, as that would seem to threaten the security model they've established in order to win corporate customer approval for the device.

Interesting idea. I'll experiment some more.

But in general, I have to say that your original post certainly makes one more than a wee bit curious. Practical joke? Showing someone up? Stealing private data?

TainoIndio Guest

Vinmont thank you for that reply. I will experiment this and let you know how it turns out. Basically I am trying to make sure that if any of my clients lose their device that their intellectual property cannot be lifted off the device.

We are basically trying to prevent corp data from getting to others that are not privi to it.