i dont know if this has been adressed. i could not find it but if ... General Blackberry forum

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

major bb security flaw....

Advertisement

i dont know if this has been adressed. i could not find it but if not im posting again.. sorry.

all my employees have bbs.. all have computers. all back up. a couple of weeks ago my secretary broke her screen on her bold. and i told her to use my laptop to back her phone up to restore a new one. no problem and she did so. (it was forgotten about)

today. i had a close encounter with mis-placing my bb so for precaution i have a brand new 8700 and i figured id back up all my bolds info onto the 8700 from my last backup just incase... well i thought it was my back up..

i plugged in the 8700 hit restore in desktop manager to the last saved backup. no problem everything loaded. when it was done. it said enter new password.. so i figured hmm ok so i entered my password. now the shocking part to me.. all of my secretaries contacts, texts, emails, memos, tasks, calender appts, basically her whole phone minus password keeper was now on my 8700.. its no big deal because she works for me. i whiped the phone, and done..

but that easy??? all someone needs is a blackberry access to your computer and they can take all of your info from your blackberry and load it to theres. regaurdless if its password protected or not.. this bothers me. i know you should password protect everything. comps. laptops. bbs. but this was to easy. done in less then 5 minutes. and i had every single thing in her phone.... just a warning and be carefull and password protect your computers and never leave them up and running when your not around. im baffled
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via smartphone~
    You'd think it'd only load to the same PIN...remarkable.

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    ~via smartphone~
    You'd think it'd only load to the same PIN...remarkable.
    When you do a restore you click on a FILE.... I guess it will restore whichever backup you click on to whichever BB is plugged into it.

Of course, as a rule, most people don't backup BB's for multiple people on a single laptop. When I walk away from my computer I lock it. The chances of this happening are slim, but it is something that should be looked into.

RIM.....
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

jchapman01 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24a51ff4
    Yeah, that's definitely a problem! Wow! I never thought about that.... I'm definitely gonna be careful about what bb's connect to my computer now and i'm gonna hide all my backups into encrypted folders!

betavirus no está en línea Stack level 2
    I believe it has been mentioned either here or on other forums. If backing up multiple phone data be sure to keep them in different directories. That way if you need to restore any one of them it is a simple matter of selecting the correct directory and the latest file from that location.

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by betavirus View Post
    I believe it has been mentioned either here or on other forums. If backing up multiple phone data be sure to keep them in different directories. That way if you need to restore any one of them it is a simple matter of selecting the correct directory and the latest file from that location.
    That is exactly what I do. I do it for ease of organization and lack of confusion. It never even occurred to me that it could be a security issue.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

RoboticGolem no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ab431b
    The only place my backup goes is onto an encrypted key that I keep with me. I never thought it would be that easy, but I was alway paranoid of someone brute forcing the backup.

Now I'm even more paranoid.

~via smartphone~

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    Yes. It is that easy. I've updated quite a few berries many not my own and i could easily restore a back up file that was on a different BB on my own. Contacts, messages, PIN numbers, Call logs etc, etc. Its all there in that back up file.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by bajanbastard View Post
    Yes. It is that easy. I've updated quite a few berries many not my own and i could easily restore a back up file that was on a different BB on my own. Contacts, messages, PIN numbers, Call logs etc, etc. Its all there in that back up file.
    IT is kind of silly, with all the encryption, passwording and keys etc.... That there would be such a blatant hole in the security!!

Meh! no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PM me...
    Holy...That's creepily crazy. Yea, that needs some kind of attention. To load a backup it should store the users pass in the backup, and you should have to have the password in order to restore the backup. Be it same better or another.. CRAZY!

soulmedic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    I have a Pearl 8120 and my girlfriend has a Pearl 8130, I perform backups, upgrades and all BB matters on my computer, and I have loaded the wrong info into the wrong phone...easy to do, when the Desktop manager uses a standard naming structure instead of PIN based naming for files.

I have since then split directories for each phones backups, apps, and software to help keep them seperate.

I use a TrueCrypt Volume to hold the backup files, to an outsider it looks like a single file, but once accessed through a password, the internal data structure contains folders.
    When it isn't mounted I can copy and move the file, but I am the only person able to access the data.

Easy and free. Check it out...TrueCrypt.

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    You might just want to backup all BBs and save the backup files to thumbdrive and put that in a safe or keep it somewhere secure

~via smartphone~
    Last edited by rjs87; 02-04-2009 at 02:00 AM.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    The only security this has is if you have a password set on the device you would have to enter it to connect to the DM. Makes me think that is you have a backup on your computer it was loaded there with the owners permission, should have a way to secure it for loading but they didn't.