Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

I just got off the phone with BB customer support. I was transferred to BB ... General Blackberry forum

  1. #1
    tweezak's Avatar
    tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    78

    Thumbs down Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Advertisement



    I just got off the phone with BB customer support. I was transferred to BB when ATT could not help me. I won't go into details on my issue but will just give you the bottom line in terms of policy.

    If you are a user of Mail Connector, do not uninstall it and do not muck with the account. Blackberry will not allow any new accounts that use Mail Connector because they have ended support since it accounts for less than 0.1% of their user base. If you are having mail delivery problems and are thinking of trying to repair by deleting and re-adding your account, DO NOT DO IT! You will not be able to create an account that uses Mail Connector. That option is gone.

    So, if you don't have BES at your work and you are behind a restrictive firewall and can't get POP/IMAP support for your email, then you have no way of getting your work email to your phone unless you set up a forwarding rule to another address. If your company is paranoid like mine then such a forwarding rule to an insecure email server would be grounds for termination.

    I hate to say it but this is a huge blow to my enthusiasm for BB. It is pretty well useless for me now since I can't get my work email pushed to my phone. I might as well go drop the money on an iPhone now and at least enjoy the superior web browsing and streaming media.

    I guess it's no big deal because according to BB, less than 0.1% of you should care.

  2. #2
    s12dxer's Avatar
    s12dxer no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3

    Mail Connector Discontinued

    According to RIM, the BIS Mail Connector has been discontinued as of the first of January.

    Existing users will still be able to use their Mail Connector, however new users will not be able to set up, or download mail connector from the BIS service page.

    The reason cited for this was a declining number of users utilizing the service.

  3. #3
    finder216's Avatar
    finder216 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    159

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Answered my own question...thanks.
    Last edited by finder216; 01-03-2008 at 10:02 PM.

  4. #4
    cliffr39's Avatar
    cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME
    Posts
    3,064

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Quote Originally Posted by tweezak View Post
    ...So, if you don't have BES at your work and you are behind a restrictive firewall and can't get POP/IMAP support for your email, then you have no way of getting your work email to your phone unless you set up a forwarding rule to another address. If your company is paranoid like mine then such a forwarding rule to an insecure email server would be grounds for termination.

    I hate to say it but this is a huge blow to my enthusiasm for BB. It is pretty well useless for me now since I can't get my work email pushed to my phone...I guess it's no big deal because according to BB, less than 0.1% of you should care.
    I am not surprised because BIS is sold as "personal email" by most carriers, work stuff they want you on BES. I am not sure if this link will work but this is AT&T's BIS page and says
    provides customers with the ability to have their personal email pushed automatically to the BlackBerry®
    not saying I agree with that policy just that I'm not surprised
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

  5. #5
    tweezak's Avatar
    tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    78

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    It seems to me that the fact mail connector was built to work with an MS Exchange server tends to imply business use. Most personal mail is POP/IMAP which doesn't require mail connector. AT&T may say that it is for personal use but that is just their own spin. As you say, they'd rather you bought the $60 BES data plan rather than the $40 BIS plan.

    I'll probably keep my 8820 even though the local AT&T store is willing to cut me a break on something different. Nothing else has an email system that I can use at work without getting IT involved. For my job, it is nice to have email on the go but it is not "necessary" from the perspective of my employer. Thus, they won't authorize anything to enable it...even if it costs them nothing.

  6. #6
    pda.teck's Avatar
    pda.teck no está en línea Stack level 5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    PIN/ID
    210DAC53
    Posts
    1,252

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    WOW ATT&T is raking it in At TMO BIS is 19.99, and BES is 29.99. As for the Mail connecter, I always disliked that fact you have to have the program, your PC, your mail running and connecte to the net, if any one of these fails you are not getting mail. I use an OWA site to get exchange mail. But some companys wont do that either.
    J. "Wyatt" Croom
    Blackberry 8520
    Spelling doesn’t determine your I.Q.
    (\_/)
    (0_0)
    (")-(")

  7. #7
    cliffr39's Avatar
    cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME
    Posts
    3,064

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Quote Originally Posted by tweezak View Post
    It seems to me that the fact mail connector was built to work with an MS Exchange server tends to imply business use. Most personal mail is POP/IMAP which doesn't require mail connector. AT&T may say that it is for personal use but that is just their own spin. As you say, they'd rather you bought the $60 BES data plan rather than the $40 BIS plan...
    you have already answered it... BIS is for POP3, BES is for Exchange (and more). If a company offers a service for a fee why would they also offer a free (or should say lesser) alternative. They used to, I would guess, to bring in customers but no longer need to do that. Just like when you sign up for cable or home phone they offer you something for a limited time with a lower price... then it changes (haha I hate when they do that), or credit cards (offer you a fixed 0% for a limited time then raise the rates after that). RIM is no different, everyone does something to draw in customers - just be happy they aren't raising the cost of BIS

    Again, not saying I would agree with them, but. And you have the prices wrong above: BIS is $30 (unless you bundle with SMS/MMS), and BES is $45. The only thing I could say is we could all write RIM and voice our differences about dropping the support for this. Perhaps they will hear enough customers want it and bring it back. Never know...
    ~A BlackBerry without a data plan is just a berry without the crack.~
    Links to common questions.

  8. #8
    tweezak's Avatar
    tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    78

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Good news (for me)!

    I did some more investigation this morning and discovered that my company does indeed have IMAP support and that it doesn't require an act of congress to set it up. Just sign up and go...no call to IT, nothing. Very nice. The only requirement is that you do not send/receive emails categorized as "company private."

    I'm pumped!! I'm back on line and I no longer have to run Mail Connector! The email delivery is nowhere near as quick as it was with Mail Connector but it's good enough.

    Oh...as for the comment on AT&T's prices, yes...they are high...but I get a significant discount because I work for a large corporation. Not to mention that TMo service is really bad here.

    Cheers, all!

  9. #9
    ehan's Avatar
    ehan no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    8

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Boo!!!

  10. #10
    jjasonwwhite's Avatar
    jjasonwwhite no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    26

    Re: Mail Connector Discontinued

    Quote Originally Posted by s12dxer View Post
    According to RIM, the BIS Mail Connector has been discontinued as of the first of January.

    Existing users will still be able to use their Mail Connector, however new users will not be able to set up, or download mail connector from the BIS service page.

    The reason cited for this was a declining number of users utilizing the service.
    I think that they are totally turning it off (ie. no longer honoring existing configurations of the Mail Connector) on March 7.

  11. #11
    rtake's Avatar
    rtake no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    What exactly is "Mail Connector"?

    Thanks

  12. #12
    jjasonwwhite's Avatar
    jjasonwwhite no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    26

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Quote Originally Posted by rtake View Post
    What exactly is "Mail Connector"?
    Mail Connector was a Blackberry supported tool that would allow you to connect certain email setups to your phone. The mail connector is normally used with corporate email accounts. It can be used in the place of the enterprise server. It's a lower cost option because it only requires BIS service instead of the more expensive BES plan, however it doesn't offer things like calendar integration...it's mail only.

    I use it (at least for the next month) to connect to our Lotus Domino / Notes mail server since I don't have a way to access that server via POP.

    I'm really pretty peeved about this announcement. When I bought my phone and signed the contract, I was counting on using BIS with the Mail Connector. It worked well for someone else at my office and so I knew it was a safe bet. Now I'm stuck with a contract on a phone that's not going to do what I want it to unless I pay an additional $30/month. The way I see it, Blackberry is saving money by stopping continued maintenance on tools that are used in low volume....how about passing that savings on to the folks that are going to feel the pain?!

    I still want to try to negotiate with my service provider on this one but I'm not very optimistic. I can tell you that if you complain enough to RIM that they'll offer you a "$99-value client license" to the enterprise server. I don't think that that does anything for me personally but thought I'd pass it along in case someone else is in the same boat.

  13. #13
    rtake's Avatar
    rtake no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Quote Originally Posted by jjasonwwhite View Post
    Mail Connector was a Blackberry supported tool that would allow you to connect certain email setups to your phone. The mail connector is normally used with corporate email accounts. It can be used in the place of the enterprise server. It's a lower cost option because it only requires BIS service instead of the more expensive BES plan, however it doesn't offer things like calendar integration...it's mail only.

    I use it (at least for the next month) to connect to our Lotus Domino / Notes mail server since I don't have a way to access that server via POP.

    I'm really pretty peeved about this announcement. When I bought my phone and signed the contract, I was counting on using BIS with the Mail Connector. It worked well for someone else at my office and so I knew it was a safe bet. Now I'm stuck with a contract on a phone that's not going to do what I want it to unless I pay an additional $30/month. The way I see it, Blackberry is saving money by stopping continued maintenance on tools that are used in low volume....how about passing that savings on to the folks that are going to feel the pain?!

    I still want to try to negotiate with my service provider on this one but I'm not very optimistic. I can tell you that if you complain enough to RIM that they'll offer you a "$99-value client license" to the enterprise server. I don't think that that does anything for me personally but thought I'd pass it along in case someone else is in the same boat.
    Thanks for the info. So, was the Mail Connector a piece of software that is installed on the email server or on a desktop?

    Let me ask this - I have a Blackberry connecting to an Exchange server over BIS. The Exchange server does not have any kind of BB software on it, just OWA with SSL configured. The email is polled and sent, so it's not instant push. Is this going to be affected by the Mail Connector being discontinued?

    Thanks again.

  14. #14
    tweezak's Avatar
    tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    78

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Quote Originally Posted by rtake View Post
    Thanks for the info. So, was the Mail Connector a piece of software that is installed on the email server or on a desktop?

    Let me ask this - I have a Blackberry connecting to an Exchange server over BIS. The Exchange server does not have any kind of BB software on it, just OWA with SSL configured. The email is polled and sent, so it's not instant push. Is this going to be affected by the Mail Connector being discontinued?

    Thanks again.
    Mail Connector was an app made by a third party and Blackberry was supporting it. It was installed on a desktop PC. Anymore, it really isn't a great option because so many people are using laptops and when that is off/unconnected, your mail won't be pushed to your phone anyway.

    I think that nothing will change for you because you are using Outlook Web Access. I could have done the same thing except that my employer requires a smart card for access to OWA.

  15. #15
    tweezak's Avatar
    tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    78

    Re: Mail Connector no longer supported by Blackberry

    Quote Originally Posted by jjasonwwhite View Post
    I still want to try to negotiate with my service provider on this one but I'm not very optimistic. I can tell you that if you complain enough to RIM that they'll offer you a "$99-value client license" to the enterprise server. I don't think that that does anything for me personally but thought I'd pass it along in case someone else is in the same boat.

    When this happened in January before I learned that my employer had IMAP support, I went to the local store (ATT). It was the first they had heard of it. They were very understanding and tried very hard to be helpful. I think being there in person and being rational (not angry) helped a lot.

    Though I had only had my BB since August and was a long way from being eligible for upgrade, the lead at the store was saying they would definitely make me a deal on a phone with some kind of email push (probably a Microsoft version that would work with the Outlook Exchange server). I didn't get any hard numbers but it sounded like they would definitely make sure I didn't lose functionality and it wouldn't cost me much, if anything.

    So, it would mean losing your BB but RIM doesn't mind losing that 0.1% anyway, I guess.

    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •