Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

If you lose your BlackBerry This is especially important if you do not have a ... General Blackberry forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Lost Blackberry or forget your password.

If you lose your BlackBerry
    This is especially important if you do not have a password set already, or if the password lockout was not engaged when you last had the device. Then whoever finds it has access to your data.

ok...

With a BES account

If you have an account on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), Support Center to report that you have lost your device.

Without a BES account

First, you should turn off the Desktop Redirector or disable your mail frorwarding from the Blackberry Web Client. This will stop delivery of new mail to the device. Next, contact the reseller from whom you purchased the device, and request that service be disabled on it.

The BlackBerry service provider may need the PIN of the device in order to disable it. You should store a copy of the following information in the event that you lose your device:

* PIN
    * Model number
    * Reseller
    * Network provider
    * Date of purchase

If you recover your device, you will need to contact your service provider to get your account reactivated.

If you forget your password

Important: If you forget your BlackBerry password, do not keep trying to log in. You will be locked out of the device if you type the password incorrectly 10 times.

If you do get locked out, to reset your password would require a low level reset, or "nuke", which is a fairly drastic procedure. A low level reset wipes out your BlackBerry's memory completely, including the operating system. To make it functional again, you would have to cradle the device and reinstall all the BlackBerry software.

If you have a BlackBerry with a BES account, and you have forgotten your device password but you have not locked yourself out of the device, the password can be reset by your BES administrator.

kthreatt no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Lost Blackberry or forget your password.

thanks for the info

Griff108 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re:If you do get locked out, to reset your password would require a low level reset, or "nuke", which is a fairly drastic procedure. A low level reset wipes out your BlackBerry's memory completely, including the operating system. To make it functional again, you would have to cradle the device and reinstall all the BlackBerry software.

I have a second hand 8100 - was never used but someone has set a password on it. I can't get it registered as I am locked out of it. There have been 5 incorrect attempts at entering the password. Is a "low level reset" my only option here and if so, how do I do it and can I download the operating system for the device from RIM?

Cheers.

I have a second hand 8100 - was never used but someone has set a password on it. I can't get it registered as I am locked out of it. There have been 5 incorrect attempts at entering the password. Is a "low level reset" my only option here and if so, how do I do it and can I download the operating system for the device from RIM?
    Nuking is not necessary. Passwords are designed to protect the data, not necessarily the handheld. Continue putting in all ten incorrect passwords. A couple of times along the way, the unit will probably ask you to type in "blackberry" to continue. After you enter the tenth incorrect password, your 8100 will erase all of it's data (address book, call logs, calendar, etc. etc.). This may take a while, depending on the IT policy and whether "content protection" was enabled. After the data is erased, it will ask you to create and verify your own new password, and you can begin using the handheld!

It is possible that you still may need to remove the IT policy (or not). You can tell if some of the menu items are disabled, or there's a company directory on the home screen that you can't get rid of, etc. If so, getting rid of the IT policy is easy, give us a holler for instructions! Enjoy your new 81!

Griff108 no está en línea Stack level 1

Cheers Mark - You are a gentleman and a scholar - it seems to have worked and so much easier than I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff108
    Cheers Mark - You are a gentleman and a scholar - it seems to have worked and so much easier than I thought it would be.
    You're quite welcome!

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

any way to have it delete dara and the os?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneKam
    any way to have it delete dara and the os?
    Depends -- Why do you want to delete the OS?

GeneKam no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    232D8D38

so when the phone is lost and the password expires, you will need desktop software to reinstall os and that would ask for the password, so like a JM_cLd or wahtever its called, sorry i forgot the name

bucky111 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: forget your password.

I have an 8100 which was used by an employee but not on BES. He was sacked and left company data on the device. He has set a password and we cannot get into it. Is there a way, or software that will give us the password. I have seen similar software for other phones, but not RIM devices.

Re: forget your password.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky111
    I have an 8100 which was used by an employee but not on BES. He was sacked and left company data on the device. He has set a password and we cannot get into it. Is there a way, or software that will give us the password. I have seen similar software for other phones, but not RIM devices.
    There's no way to learn the password unless it is voluntarily given to you by the ex-employee. However, the device can still be salvaged and used. Simply enter an incorrect password ten times. After the tenth incorrect entry, the 8100 will erase all of it's user data (messages/call logs, address book, tasks, memo entries, etc.) and then ask you to create a new password. If you have "Content Protection" enabled, the procedure may take quite some time. As you are typing in the ten incorrect passwords, the 8100 will ask you to type in the word "blackberry" two or three times to continue. After going through this procedure your 8100 will be ready to use again. Company data left in the address book, tasks, memo pad, messages, call logs, etc. will be lost (as stated above), but company data that is in a stand-alone application (like a company directory) should still be there. GL!
    Last edited by Mark Stone; 07-24-2007 at 11:08 AM.

rjedward no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone
    Nuking is not necessary. Passwords are designed to protect the data, not necessarily the handheld. Continue putting in all ten incorrect passwords. A couple of times along the way, the unit will probably ask you to type in "blackberry" to continue. After you enter the tenth incorrect password, your 8100 will erase all of it's data (address book, call logs, calendar, etc. etc.). This may take a while, depending on the IT policy and whether "content protection" was enabled. After the data is erased, it will ask you to create and verify your own new password, and you can begin using the handheld!

It is possible that you still may need to remove the IT policy (or not). You can tell if some of the menu items are disabled, or there's a company directory on the home screen that you can't get rid of, etc. If so, getting rid of the IT policy is easy, give us a holler for instructions! Enjoy your new 81!
    I've got an 8700r which I purchased off e-bay. It's apparently unlocked for the network provider (and I've got the code regardless), but security-locked; the thing says it's locked and wants a password when I press a key. So is your reply here the way I should go too?

Quote Originally Posted by rjedward
    I've got an 8700r which I purchased off e-bay. It's apparently unlocked for the network provider (and I've got the code regardless), but security-locked; the thing says it's locked and wants a password when I press a key. So is your reply here the way I should go too?
    Yes. Type in an incorrect password ten times; during this process the machine will ask you to type "blackberry" a couple of times to continue. After the tenth incorrect password, the device will wipe itself and then restart, and will ask you to input a new password. After that, you will be able to use the device. It's possible that there is an IT policy that needs to be removed, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it --

rjedward no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone
    Yes. Type in an incorrect password ten times; during this process the machine will ask you to type "blackberry" a couple of times to continue. After the tenth incorrect password, the device will wipe itself and then restart, and will ask you to input a new password. After that, you will be able to use the device. It's possible that there is an IT policy that needs to be removed, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it --
    Thanks Mark.
    Okay, that went well. However, I've now got a roadblock on the SIM card screen. When I enter the characters that are to bring up the unlocking code field, I'm stopped at the first step; i.e., I receive an indication, under the heading "Personalization", that all (SIM, Network, Network Subset, Service Provider, Corporate) are disabled, and when I enter the subsquent characters, no unlocking code field appears.
    So I've got an indication that no valid SIM is present, both when I've got the original (Rogers?) SIM installed, and my FIDO sim.
    Do you have any ideas, Mark? Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rjedward
    Thanks Mark.
    Okay, that went well. However, I've now got a roadblock on the SIM card screen. When I enter the characters that are to bring up the unlocking code field, I'm stopped at the first step; i.e., I receive an indication, under the heading "Personalization", that all (SIM, Network, Network Subset, Service Provider, Corporate) are disabled, and when I enter the subsquent characters, no unlocking code field appears.
    So I've got an indication that no valid SIM is present, both when I've got the original (Rogers?) SIM installed, and my FIDO sim.
    Do you have any ideas, Mark? Cheers.
    I think I'm lost -- when you refer to the Sim card screen, do you mean the SIM card choice under Options? Or is the SIM card asking for a PIN at startup?

Try a couple of things:

1. Pull your battery out, count to 30, and put it back in to start a cold reboot. May take a few minutes.

If that doesn't set things straight, then:

2.) If you can get there, go to Options: Security: Security Options. At the bottom of this page, if there is any mention of an IT policy, then it will need to be removed. Simple instructions are here: http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy .

3.) You may have a handheld locked to another carrier besides Rogers or Fido. (?) But you sed "original" (Rogers?) so that may not be the case.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast