Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

In my opinion, the best and _only_ way to choose a carrier is by coverage. ... General Blackberry forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

In my opinion, the best and _only_ way to choose a carrier is by coverage. Your device will only be as good as it's ability to lock onto a good signal. So one should begin with that in mind.. It's unfortunate that we are limited to whatever phones our carriers offer, but for now, it's just a fact of life.

I use both AT&T and T-Mobile.

While they are both good carriers with coverage in my area, and the only two true GSM proponents, AT&T has a stronger signal & wider range than T-Mobile when I'm traveling which I do for work. AT&T's 3G is very fast, and is currently being optimized which will be of great benefit for the Bold. For me, it's worth the extra $10 per month for the BB plan as the speed increase we will enjoy with the Bold will be a quantum leap over todays EDGE speeds. I know this first hand as I've been using the 3G service on AT&T with a brand X phone for some time. In addition, 3G improves the voice quality and reduces background noise.

I use T-Mobile as my back up locally as it's a good choice and I do save $10 per month for the BB BIS plan. Airtime they are nearly identical. Both use the typical tactics of "specials" on airtime plans, as today with the great majority of the people having cell phones, the only way for any carrier to gain market share is to lure customers away from the competitors with a lower price. Since most people do not try the carriers before they make a decision, most of the people being critical of a carrier other than theirs, have no idea of what they are talking about. They are simply being negative, which is a pervasive characteristic today.

If you have the time and patience, there is no substitute for trying every carrier in your area. The results might very well surprise you. Most all of them give you between 15 and 30 days to try out the new phone and service. As long as you perform the return in that period many only charge you for the airtime you've used. You get all the rest back including the activation charge for the phone. Thus your out of pocket expense is no more than if you remained with the carrier you have now.

Personally before I selected AT&T as my main carrier, and T-Mobile as my secondary, I did indeed try them all and it was very worthwhile, educational, and I now have the peace of mind knowing I'm using the best service for me.

Cheers!

gman EB no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for the info guys. No, I've never owned a BB before, or a smart phone for that matter. I want to get into the phones that have good internet browsing. I don't need it for e-mail or work, just to txt, IM, and surf the web is good.

What model should I look into besides the Bold?

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    The pearl is sounding like your phone.

I own one and that is what I do mainly: texting, AIM, emails, media player, and the interbuttz [that's nerd talk for 'internet']. It works great, but I always end up having to recharge it because I get a little too internet-happy [downloading videos, games, music, and browsing the stacks]

Go into a store and try each one out and see what you like.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

d3squire no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ whatever you decide to do make sure you go to sams club and check out there deals. Right now they have free pearls and the curve 8310 is $50! No mail in rebates either. Check sams for the best deals. They carry tmobile, sprint and at&t. Good luck.

mega_boi no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    245B7FC0
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    I thought I read a post from jonnyedge that said TMO has 3G capability, just no 3G phones. He said an unlocked Bold would work on TMO.

T-Mobile recently launched their 3G service. As of eight now, I think it's only available in certain parts of new York. bummer that they are so slow to hop on the 3G bandwagon, but better late than never I guess.

And as for 3G capable phones, as of right now, they only have one phone that us 3G. It's a samsung T-something-or-other. Pretty silly of them, but whatever.

Currently AT&T has the largest 3G network, which is one of the reasons they are getting the Bold. RIM is eager to show everyone how fast their smartphone is. The BlackJack which is sold by AT&T is 3G, & has been running on the network for some time. However it's quite slow for a 3G phone as it's crippled by the Windows Mobile OS (I know, I tried two of them just to see, not as a BB replacement).
    Going forward the most visible threat to RIM will be from the second generation iPhone as Apple attempts to bring the old tech iPhone into the present.

It will be very interesting to see how these two compete and are perceived by the average person. Since Apple has created this incredible hype machine people seem to buy into whatever Apple says no matter if it is grossly exaggerated. Then even more incredibly after buying something like the iPhone only to find out how slow it is, and how many features it lacks they just accept it. Just think, there is no cut & paste, no user replaceable battery, etc. Also there is no excuse for the original iPhone not to have 3G. Especially since every other new phone that was being built at the same time as the iPhone featured 3G. I personally have six unlocked phones that have been running very nicely on the AT&T network where I live, & throughout the state I live in.

Suddenly it becomes obvious that Apple purposely left out 3G so as to insure that the first generation iPhones would be obsolete, thereby driving sales of the 2nd generation device. A very clever strategy which explains why Apple is cash rich. They know they can con their loyal user base with no resistance. A show of marketing expertise, when no matter how much they fleece their customers they keep coming back for more.
    I feel sorry when the batteries on the 1st generation iPhones begin dying & the poor consumer finds out what apple has in store for them. But then again, fashion always has been expensive.
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    LESS
    I have to say archer6 that you have once again articulated it precisely. Just superb.

Which blackberry is the best?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    gman,

for your needs, your best bet would be the curve. Keep in mind there are quirks that come with each carrier. So if you do decide on a carrier let us know and then we can help there. TMO best plans and rates coverage is OK. AT&T great coverage awful rates.

TMO you get all the IM clients with the phone and WiFi you were looking for.

AT&T you can unlock the clients but the phone doesn't have WiFi.

So for being a BB virgin, I would go with TMO, and grab the 8320. Do you picture message a lot? If not then get the

Blackberry Minutes and Mail plan for $59.99.
    1000 Minutes Anytime NO unlimited nights and weekends
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited SMS
    NO Picture messaging

Unless you talk a lot, or use picture messaging thats the plan I would use.

IF IM, Texting and Internet is all you'll be using then the 8320 with WiFi is what you're looking for. Unless you want a smaller phone then you could choose the 8120 with Wifi which TMO also has.

Good luck if you have more questions just ask.

Reddog, thats what I was looking at if I went with TMO. They seem to have the best rates(10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.) With that plan you cant do any picture messaging or do you pay per picture message? I send/receive those sometimes but its not a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by gman EB View Post
    Reddog, thats what I was looking at if I went with TMO. They seem to have the best rates(10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else.) With that plan you cant do any picture messaging or do you pay per picture message? I send/receive those sometimes but its not a priority.
    ----
    If you go to their web site, you will see the specifics of what each plan includes & the pricing.

Also I forgot to mention that you should confirm how long you get to try out the service. Then be sure to try it in all the places you will be using it to confirm the coverage is their for you. Although they usually show you a coverage map, that's not a trustworthy way to insure coverage. And I'm not talking about just T-Mobile but all of the carriers. Remember, if you don't have coverage, the phone is useless. Every carrier has different coverage so just make sure that it works for you. I have always had good luck with T-Mobile except when I travel which is very frequently. So that's one of the reasons I use both T-Mobile & AT&T. Also compare plans very carefully, and ask about specials. This is what I did & saved some money. I pay the same for each. While I pay $10 less for the BB plan on T-Mobile, the Curve was $100 more than AT&T. In addition air time on T-Mobile was a bit higher. So it's just a matter of careful shopping. Finally the most important thing to remember is that rates are always changing. So what is true today, may not be tomorrow. Like any other purchase it's buyer beware, & you will do fine.

Good Luck!

via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold) (wap.pinstack.com)~

ajs3898 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Something to also remember, t-mobile has the highest rated customer service, and I from personal experience, have never had any issues with customer service. I have been with t-mobile since 2003 and don't plan on going anywhere. I herd that by the end of the summer, they will be turning on the 3G is 8 major markets, I happen to live in the Los Angeles market and it was on that list, and with the bold getting released by t-mobile sometime around August September time line, it will all work out. If you want a full keyboard go with curve or bold, if you want size go with pearl, but actually go to the store and spend some time typing on the pearl, some people don't like that sure type keyboard, but there also some people that swear by them. Also, I know in california you have 30 days to return a cell phone if you are not happy with the service, some other states its 15 days, so go test them out. Go on the phones website and look at coverage maps, ask friends and family that live close what service provider they have and how good the service is. T-mobile isn't too bad in california, I drove from long beach to san jose and didn't get any dead areas or drop any calls. And something else to think about, I don't do tethering very much, but its included with t-mobile, no extra charge, other carriers sometimes you have to pay extra for it. When I got to san jose, I plugged my curve into my laptop and was able to get on the net no problem. T-mobile also has myfavs with in my opinion is something worth looking at. I have a lot of friends and family on t-mobile, so I have mobile to mobile, the talk forever hot spot at home service because I have a wireless network at work and home, so all my calls at work or home don't count to my allowed minute use, and myfavs takes care of everything else, I hardly use any minutes. And with t-mobile finally pushing out their 3G network, its only going to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs3898 View Post
    T-mobile also has myfavs with in my opinion is something worth looking at. I have a lot of friends and family on t-mobile, so I have mobile to mobile, the talk forever hot spot at home service because I have a wireless network at work and home, so all my calls at work or home don't count to my allowed minute use, and myfavs takes care of everything else, I hardly use any minutes. And with t-mobile finally pushing out their 3G network, its only going to get better.
    ------
    ajs3898, great job on your very informative entry here!

Thanks for bringing up some very valuable points that I overlooked.

Especially the points above. Also as I mentioned in another thread, T-Mobile will be ready for the Bold after the AT&T exclusive runs out. Whereas the other carriers will not. In addition just in case it was not mentioned, as a T-mobile customer I also get a $10 per month discount off the T-Mobile Hot Spot service at Starbucks. It's a service I have used for five years, as I travel & meet clients there. An amazing statistic is the fact that in five years of using that service weekly, the network has never gone down! I too have a WiFi network in my home & now that T-Mobile has it set up for BB use I will be eliminating my land line.

Cheers!
    via: Red BB 8310
    (soon via: Bold)

layla17 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Is the 8830 a good phone compared to the Pearl? I'm asking based on functions... which is better?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast