Can someone explain how messages sync with the Bberry (using BES)? It seems that my ... General Blackberry forum

aaronlws no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Looking for explanation of msg sync / how long do msgs remain on the Bberry?

Advertisement

Can someone explain how messages sync with the Bberry (using BES)? It seems that my berry does not do a good job of keeping messages (even with "keep forever") and / or sorting them to the correct folder (in Outlook).

Do messages cycle off the unit after a certain amount of time? I would also like to sync back onto the unit certain older messages, but am unable...even with a manual sync of a particular folder.

Ideally, I would get messages on the unit while I am away from my desk, then put them into a folder (or delete) when I am back at my desk. This does not seem to work very well (or barely at all).

Is this an issue unique to bberry? My wife's Treo seems to handle all of her older messages, in folders, just fine??

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Looking for explanation of msg sync / how long do msgs remain on the Bberry?

Email doesn't sync.

Email is pushed and changes are reconciled (not the same as sync) based on your settings. If your BB is set to Keep Forever then messages should be stored forever. However, if you're running out of memory then the BB will start to delete content to free up space. This might be the problem in your situation. Which model and what OS version are you using (Options->About)?

In any case, you can't get older messages unless you manually forward each one to yourself.

Folder contents are not forwarded to your BB unless you set them up in your filters. By default only the Inbox is forwarded. Again, old email is not pushed except for a limited number of days of email during Enterprise Activation (number of days set by your BES admin).
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-19-2007 at 03:44 PM.

aaronlws no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Looking for explanation of msg sync / how long do msgs remain on the Bberry?

Thanks. Some follow up quesitons:

Is there a way to "sync" older emails to get over the limited number of days issue? I have tried to manually sync certain folders using the desktop redirector, but to no avail.

Do you know if there is a way to save these older messages on an external memory card that the newer units come with?

Please give me a bit more detail on the folders / filters comment. It sounds like this might help.

Is there a way to tell the cut-off date for the unit for which messages it will keep or not? Is this to say that the unit will only retain 64mb worth of messages at any given point in time (I think I am working with 64mb of space)...

I am on a 7290 with 4.1.0.377

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Nope. You can't sync mail. With older mail, it has to be forwarded.

There's currently no way to store (and, more importantly, access) email on the microSD card.

I think I posted how to set up forwarding for subfolders in another thread using Desktop Manager and jdellasalla posted instructions on how to do this from the BB (I couldn't remember) in yet another thread.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

On your BB there is a setting in messages, bring up the menu and choose options. Look under general options there is a setting for how long the BB holds on to messages. When you get a message on your BB you can select that message, bring up the menu again and choose file. You can file a message in a subfolder. This works for multiple messages as well.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~