I know certain model BB's are "locked" only to work with a certain carrier. Is ... General Blackberry forum

knight2472000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    AskMe

Question Locked Phones

Advertisement

I know certain model BB's are "locked" only to work with a certain carrier. Is this just a US thing? I am in Singapore visiting, if I buy a Blackberry here can I take it home, pop in my SIM can be good to go?

aniwatson no está en línea Stack level 3
    I believe you have to make sure its unlocked... which means u can use it with any sim card... i had a phone in the philippines "unlocked" came back here and i could use it with a cingular sim.. so i believe that it can be done... hope that helps

OOOppss sorry about the extra post...
    Last edited by aniwatson; 07-27-2008 at 06:57 AM.
    Often its those deserving people who love those who destroy them..

I believe you have to make sure its unlocked... which means u can use it with any sim card... i had a phone in the philippines "unlocked" came back here and i could use it with a cingular sim.. so i believe that it can be done... hope that helps

Pete6 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Here we are talking about GSM phones with a SIM card only. This does not apply to CDMA devices.

Some carriers lock their BlackBerrys to their own SIM cards because they have sold the phone as a subsidized device on a contract.

If you obtain one of these then you can unlock the device to be able to work with any other carrier's SIM card.

Unlocking is down entirely in software and is a number generated by a combination of the BlackBerry's unique PIN code and its IMEI (checl Options, Status to seee both numbers).

The unlock code is generated by some software tha you will not find by Googling.

You will have to deal with a phone unlocking company. You can find these very easily on Google or ebay.

After paying money and giving your PIN and IMEI number yor will get back a number in a few days.

This number is put into your phone like this:

These were the instructions that I received to unlock my 8310. They worked 1st time.

Your unlock code: 1234567890

Instructions to unlock your Blackberry phone.

Warning! The Wireless Mode MUST BE OFF before
    performing the given SIM Unlock instructions in order
    to avoid causing the device from becoming defective.

How to turn Wireless Mode Off:
    1. Scroll to the Airplane Icon (Turn Wireless Off.)
    2. Press Select.
    3. Wireless Mode will turn off.

How to SIM Unlock the device:
    1. Go to the "Options" screen
    2. Select the "SIM Card" option
    3. Type ALT-MEPD (hold ALT key while typing the 4
    letters, M-E-P-D)
    4. Release the ALT key, it should then display a list
    "SIM, Network, Network Subset, etc..."
    5. To select "Network" type ALT-MEPE (since E is the
    key that gives 2 when shifted)
    6. Release the ALT key, it should then ask for the
    code
    7. Enter the unlock code provided.

Note: In case of difficulties when entering the code please try the alternative instructions below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative Instructions how to enter the unlock code.

***** You must have a SIM card in your phone to complete these steps. We recommend to use the SIM card that your phone is currently working with *****

1. go to settings

2 go to options

3. go to advanced options

4. go to sim card

5. Type MEPD (not case sensitive) ( you will not see text appear on screen while typing )

6. Does it say Network active? if so your phone is locked

7. Hold the ALT Key while typing in MEPE ( not case sensitive ) ( you will not see text appear on screen while typing )

8. It will say "Enter Network MEP Code, then you type in the 16 digit unlock code, press in the jog dial to confirm

9. Your phone is now unlocked.

Once unlocked a BlackBerry remains unlocked forever, even through OS upgrades.

You need to be a little careful when buying a locked phone because you cannot immediately test it.

There is one case where a phone may have been lost or stolen and have been replaced by an insurance company. The old phone - the one you are buying, will have been blacklisted by all carriers within the original country of sale. It will never, ever work there again.

So buy it cheap and take it outsode the country and you should, not should, be fine.
    Last edited by Pete6; 07-27-2008 at 07:44 AM.

aldie no está en línea Stack level 3
    most phones i have found outside the us seem to be unlocked 99% of the time (europe/asia)

if you have your phone from the states, with a sim card, pop it in and check if it reads it. if it's a tmobile sim card for example, it should say tmobile at some point during starting up the phone. even if the sim card is not activated or anything.

just a thought.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I am correct in saying that the unlocking process is a property of the phone, not of the SIM card right?

yes.... its the phone that needs unlocking not the sim because u could put any sim in it after you have unlocked it! hope that helps

did that help? jus curious...

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Yes thanks! I think I am going to wait for bold. In singapore the BB's are not much cheaper cause to get the deals you have to buy a plan.

ok glad to be somekind of help! good luck...