I've had Tmobile for about 2 years and have had an 8100 ever since. Since ... General Blackberry forum

green_light no está en línea Stack level 3

location-specific data problems

Advertisement

I've had Tmobile for about 2 years and have had an 8100 ever since. Since then I've never had an issue with my BB like this. For one reason or another my internet and email will no longer work in my apartment, which I've lived in for nearly a year (and have experienced nothing like this until about 3 days ago). The strange thing is, when I'm downtown (I live in downtown Milwaukee) my data services work fine. Once I get to my apartment, my phone flips out. It will go from GSM, edge and EDGE. Sometimes, my phone will even turn the radio OFF or my phone will turn off. Even while I'm in EDGE, I still cannot get my browser to work. Right now I'm at work in a downtown Milwaukee location (a grocery store) and my coverage is perfect. I would think my coverage at my apartment would be better than a grocery store??

I've called Customer Care numerous times trying to troubleshoot my problem. The first time I called I called to see if there was an outage, since the last time something like this happened, there was actually an outage. But there isn't one. The last time I called, tech support suggested trying a new sim card. They also said they were going to "refresh my data connection", and call me back in 10 minutes. This was at 4pm yesterday. I never received a call and my problem is not fixed.

I went into a tmobile store and switched out my sim card. Obviously that wasn't the problem either. What could be wrong here? I've lived at my location for nearly a year, now all of sudden I cannot get a data connection there, even though my phone says EDGE?

I am horribly confused, and don't want to pay for a data package if I can't even use it. Tech support and the sales associate both said its very odd that its a location specific problem.

Can anybody help solve this problem? Thanks in advance..
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Also, if this helps any: I've run a few Diagnostic tests within the Mobile Network menu in Options. I've noticed that "ICMP Ping Echo" fails to respond whenever I'm home; all it does is attempt it and the test eventually fails. I just ran it again now while I'm at work and the result says "Yes" like normal.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    This happened a lot last year. The first incident was a year and a half ago, in January 2008, right before I bought the 8120. I had a SIM card error, "SIM Card Initialization Failed". At the time I was using a SideKick 3 and a Pearl 8100. I had to replace the SIM card.

Then in May 2008, I had the same problem for a week and it was the SIM card. My 8120 would go between EDGE, GPRS and UMA. I took the phone back and got another new card.

In September 2008, Hurricane Ike hit and I had massive problems for about 3 months with reception issues.

I hope its just a series of bad SIM cards and not the phone.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 06-27-2009 at 11:54 AM.

The sim cards obviously work fine though, as I'm at work and I'm experiencing no problems at the moment. I can guarantee that once I get home, my connection will go haywire and my phone will be either GSM or EDGE and still not get any data. I've tried deleting the "BrowserConfig" service book as instructed by tech support and then registering in the HRT. Still nothing. Is this a sudden issue with my building?

hot304tee no está en línea Stack level 1
    T-Mobile probably felt that they could use the bandwidth somewhere else and redirected it's common for a wireless carrier to do it and not say anything. Did you look at there coverage map and see if it shows data there? I know it once worked but just try and see what happens.

That's pretty ridiculous they'd do that, now I'm going to have to cancel my data package. I also tether my BB to my laptop. Big inconvenience for customers.

I just looked at the only coverage map I could get on my BB browser and apparently my location is dark green on the map indicating my signal should be very good. What this probably doesn't include however is data coverage. I have EDGE coverage but no data.

Right now I'm so fed up with this I'm ready to cancel tmobile and even get something other than blackberry. I'm not having good experiences with either lately.
    Last edited by green_light; 06-27-2009 at 02:11 PM.

I don't get it...just out of curiosity earlier I attempted to load a page on my BB browser. It worked, which I thought was odd, and I originally thought it was only my WAP browser that worked. Then I tried my mlb.com shortcut and that worked. Apparently everything is fine again...at least for now. Hopefully it stays working. Thanks for all the responses trying to help.