Everyone has heard of shazam, the excellent music id software for the iphone, nokia, and ... General Blackberry forum

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3

Let's join together to get Shazam for our berries!

Advertisement

Everyone has heard of shazam, the excellent music id software for the iphone, nokia, and sony devices. Wouldn't you love to have this app for our blackberries? Let them know at the link below, if enough people ask them, we'll surely get it!

http://www.shazam.com/music/web/contactus.html

Moderators, I really think we should have a sticky somewhere with links like this for the most requested blackberry applications, applications that are not available for blackberry devices. More and more companies are listening to customer feedback now days. But the only way to have our voices heard is request these things in large numbers. What better way to do this than make this information available in one sticky so us stackers can easily cast our vote for a new software title. We can make a difference!

djfred no está en línea Stack level 1
    i did my part i sent in my suggestions

thanx

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    I also sent in a quick suggestion, I kind of miss Shazam.

aldie no está en línea Stack level 3
    they were on the G1 at launch, so they should definatly be available for blackberry!!

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Give them time to port the application. I am sure they want a piece of the BlackBerry Market

PIN/ID
    AskMe

aldie no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Give them time to port the application. I am sure they want a piece of the BlackBerry Market
    that's what makes me wonder though, the blackberry market has been HUGE for some time now, but they are already on android at launch??

vzwtecgal no está en línea Stack level 1
    Doesn't verizon offer song I'd? I don't know about other carriers but this is available free with vzw~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    I had a quick link icon on my berry show up not too long ago for some AT&T music id thing.....

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Ge

BlackBerry

Quote Originally Posted by aldie View Post
    that's what makes me wonder though, the blackberry market has been HUGE for some time now, but they are already on android at launch??
    I don't know if RIM charges for their API (Application Programming Interface)

There are other problems. iPhones and Android are FreeBSD or Linux based, so it is probably easier to program on it. The BlackBerry OS is proprietary, it will be a challenge to port it to a closed system. Unless you have the API.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    RIM charges $20 for a signing key, which enables access to a restricted subset of the API. You can write applications without the signing key if you don't use the restricted subset. The device simulators don't have signature restrictions, so even without a signing key, you can still develop fully functional applications.

Android developer account for the marketplace is $25, so, it's not like it breaks the bank in any case.

Ge
    If someone can convince the people at Shazam in the UK to port this to BlackBerries, I would gladly pay for the API and donate it to them.

That's one of the things that drive me nuts about my blackberry. For every $20 application, you can most likely find a free version on the iPhone or Android. It was recently brought to my attention that the AT&T Music ID app is actually Shazaam. Because of the lack of a centralized app store for blackberry applications, it has been hard for developers to market their applications. The best way for developers to get their apps installed on a blackberry is to set a deal with the provider (AT&T in this case), which is bad for us and the developer. It's great for AT&T since they have all the power, you either abide by their rules or you don't get your app pre-installed on blackberries. So AT&T decided that to use Shazaam (or what they call AT&T music id), you must pay them $3 or $4 a month which is a crock. I think this is where the addition of the blackberry app store is either going to make or break the blackberry in the consumer market place. If the app stores are handled by the carriers (which I think I have heard that they will be), the blackberry is doomed, as much as I hate to say it, it will never be one of the top 3 consumer smartphone's. The iPhone and Android will blow it out of the water. And it will be precisely the same reason we have to pay $40 a year to use Shazaam on a blackberry when it's free on iPhone's, Nokia's, Android's, etc., because when you give the carrier all the power they will use and abuse the privilege to rip their customers off for every penny they can get. I am just hoping though, that the addition of the blackberry app store will revive developer interests in creating consumer grade apps for the blackberry platform, and the carrier's will step aside (or get sued and be forced to) so that developers aren't at the carrier's mercy when it comes to making their app available in an easy to find/use repository of applications. My 7th grade English teacher was always harping on me for using so many run-on sentences. I don't see what the problem is. Anyway, so maybe for purposes of this post we should be writing to AT&T to tell them how nice it would be of them to give us AT&T Music ID (Shazaam) for free since it's free on so many other devices. I kind of got side tracked there... I just love my blackberry and while it's a fantastic device, I see a great opportunity here for it to become even better in the consumer market. But I fear that consumer blackberry user's are going to continue to get shafted, and RIM's just going to sit at meeting after meeting scratching their heads wondering why everyone else is passing them by and blackberry enthusiasts like me (and everyone else on this site) are going to have to pay $500 for a ten year subscription of Music ID (actual cost, do the math) before they finally grab AT&T by the throat and say, "Enough!, from now on, let us tell YOU how it's going to be," much in the same way that Apple handled the situation.

Thank you everyone for showing your support on this. I really do feel that if enough people write, we really can get things done with it comes to these kinds of issues.

I came across this the other day and just wanted to let everyone know if you haven't heard.

http://www.berryreview.com/2009/01/2...to-blackberry/

Awesome!!