Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Well I used to use a Blackberry 950 about hmmm about 6 years ago when ... General Blackberry forum

phillipd76 no está en línea Stack level 2

Kinda Returning to Blackberry - Questions

Advertisement

Well I used to use a Blackberry 950 about hmmm about 6 years ago when the company I was working for started selling them. Then they decided not to pay for the service anymore but I kept the device. Never turned it on again.

Now I am interested in getting another. I have had the treo 650, semi liked that but it seemed to crash a lot.

My few questions are as follows:

1) I already have cell phone service so I am wondering if I were to consolidate to a blackberry device (on cingular) what would the difference be from the Blackberry personal service (34.99$) and the unlimited internet service you can get when you already have voice service and a smart phone (for 19.99$)

2) I like the new pearl, but I have not had a chance to hold it in my hand and use one. What are the main differences besides size, keyboard type, and presence of camera that should I be interested to know when looking between Pearl, 8700c and 7130c? I am looking at mostly software capabilites etc. Like can I listen to any internet streams, watch tv or videos, or if there are certain 3rd party apps that can be loaded on one but not the other kind of thing. (I understand as of right now I would have to get the Pearl from Tmobile and have two devices to keep voice on Cingular)

3) If you are not using BES and you are just getting your mail from one of the 10 you configure, does it still push the mail to you or is that a feature of BES? I really like the idea of the messages getting pushed to me just like my old 950 did.

I Hope this is not a repetitive bit of junk that is asked all the time. Search on these things doesnt turn out anything that jumps out at me as the answers.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    for 2) There are numerous 3rd party apps for both 8700,8100,7130 but you will have the most multimedia capabilities(watching movies,mp3's, some streaming with Radiobee) with the 8100 Pearl.

for 3) I believe your BIS email address I.E. xxx@tmo.blackberry.net is pushed and the others can take up to 15 minutes to be delivered although most of the time I get them Immediately.

Never any harm in asking hopefully someone will be along to answer your other inquiries.

But if I so chose I could get my mail forwarded from the other ones into the blackberry.net one. and just set my reply to address to the one that it got forwarded from. So then it should be mostly seemless for people.

But if it is easy enough and quick enough usually setting them up as regular accounts would work better for me.

Thanks for all the info.

for 3) I believe your BIS email address I.E. xxx@tmo.blackberry.net is pushed and the others can take up to 15 minutes to be delivered although most of the time I get them Immediately.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which I should choose. The 8100 or the 8700? How small is the 8100 really. I dont want it to be TOO small. I want to be able to type on it relatively easily.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    phillipd76, Welcome to PinStack.

As to the Cingular costs, with most Cingular Voice accounts the add on Blackberry Personal data plan is $29.95 ($5.00 Discount with the Voice Plan). It replaces the $19.95 data plan used on other phones. And rumor has it the Cingular will be rolling out the 8100 before Thanksgiving, so if your not too impatient you don't have to worry about TMO.

Since the 8100 is not a qwerty phone the keyboard is not too much smaller that most similar phones. I happen to like the qwerty and Landscape screen format of the 8700, and am probably going to wait for the 8900 on Cingular to get a 4.2 version BB. I would suggest you go by a TMO store and handle both the 8700g and the Pearl and see for yourself.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    Last edited by Rcbjr; 11-14-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

I plan on trying to go to the store soon to see them both. Another one that I was kind of thinking about is the 7130. The 7130 seems to have the same features of teh 8700c but with the smaller form factor/suretype keyboard. Are there any other differences?

I am still debating the suretype keyboard. I am not sure I can use it enough in the store to figureout whether I will like it or not. I can wait until thanksgiving though for the pearl on cingular if I like it.

I have seen the reports of the 8800 as well. Its like the 8100 in the 8700's skin.

lesawags no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30155F71
    If I were u these seasoned pinstackers here with all their knowledge, is reason enough to try another BB. The support they can give you and knowledge they have with all things BB is reason enough to get another BB. More support than any other group out there handsdown. I luv this group! - thought about getting a different device cause BB seemed so confusing. But they convinced me to hang in there, and boy were they right..again!! Lesa

giamburrasca no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256223F9
    Hi phillipd76, as I understand my BIS, the account is set up with a new email address and password. This is different from the email address from your ISP. Once set up, the account has your ISP address, or any other one you wish to use, as a "primary" email address and traffic on this is pushed to your BB when it sweeps every 15 minutes. You can easily add up to 10 addresses and passwords via your user account and these will have equal status in terms of what is pushed to your device. In my case, the access to my account is www.o2email.co.uk and this allows me to alter settings like email addresses to be added or deleted, whether you show the original message with a reply, "out of office" reply, "footer" for your outgoing messages etc. If you want high quality internet access, PIM, superb audio for making and receiving calls, SMS, then its time you came back to BB. After that its all about which keyboard you prefer. Currently the devices of choice are 8700 (querty keyboard), Pearl (suretype +trackball+ camera) and 7130 (suretype+wheel). Your'e posting here, you know you want a BB really.....

Of there is no doubt that I want a blackberry again. I want/need to access email, pim, im, web at work. I dont want to use my computer at work anymore since they are starting to monitor that and some have been "spoken to" I would rather not have that happen to me.

I used to have a Treo 650 a while back, that was so buggy. It was aweful. I just want a solid device like a blackberry.

I plan on using it with the email from my domain. That is truly the only email address I want to use with it.

So is the only difference between the 8700 and 7130 the screen orientation and keyboard type?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Phillip, to answer your last question, As far a I can tell, those two items are the only difference, as long as your talking about the GSM version of the 7130.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Yes Rcbjr, I am talking about the GSM version. Thanks for the info.

Too bad there arent any 3G gsm versions for north america yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    Phillip, to answer your last question, As far a I can tell, those two items are the only difference, as long as your talking about the GSM version of the 7130.
    Rcbjr.

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Figured you were, but wanted to clarify for others, so they didn't confuse it with the 7130e on CDMA.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7
    You can compare a complete list of device specs on the Blackberry web site.

Thanks for the info.

What I am really looking for (since I have seen the product comparisons) is whether or not there are certain kinds of apps that can not be loaded or certain features not listed that I would be interested to have or to at least know about. Things that RIM might not include on their specs page because of their seeming insignificance.

e.g. on the palm certain pieces of software required certain versions of the software. Or certinan revisions of hardware would not allow for some programs to load. That kind of thing.

welp. I think I have decided on the 8700c

I went to try out that and the 7130c. I even stopped by the T-mobile store to try out the Pearl to see if I wanted to wait.

I will forego any multimedia possibilities of the pearl for the thumbwheel. I have to say that the pearl part of it really does not make it nice for me. The screen is small and so are they keys, even smaller than the 7130c's

So I think I am quite confident in my decision.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast