I'm just curious now that 4.5 is available from a few different carriers what kind ... General Blackberry forum

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

What kind of future does the current gen blackberry have? (curve, pearl, 88

Advertisement

I'm just curious now that 4.5 is available from a few different carriers what kind of future do these phones have? The Bold will be out in the states soon and has a whole different GUI and an updated browser.. but will these features ever be available for the Curve or Pearl? Is the Curve even capable of running the Bolds O/S?

I'm assuming there will be minor updates to the 4.5 O/S as it continues to mature but will there ever be a new major release

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    I don't think so. The curve is over a year old and in mobile terms that is a life time. But I don't see anything that they are replacing it with.
    The Bold is a replacement for the 8800 series and the Thunder is a whole new series.
    I might be wrong, usually am.

I guess it's only wishful thinking, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice speed just to have the fancier GUI if it would slow it down.

I'm assuming minor updates and maybe even a 4.6? for the Curve?

What else could they possible add to the Curve to make it better?

What's the BOLD o/s version 5.0?

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    bold is 4.6 so far.

HughJass no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2443424B
    And I can assure you from playing with one here in Canada, ITS STUPID FAST!!
    "Gravity is a cruel mistress!" - the Tick
    PIN: 2443424B

boxaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    A5KM341T
    Quote Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
    I don't think so. The curve is over a year old and in mobile terms that is a life time. But I don't see anything that they are replacing it with.
    The Bold is a replacement for the 8800 series and the Thunder is a whole new series.
    I might be wrong, usually am.
    It's very admirable that you know yourself that well. lol

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by privax View Post
    I'm just curious now that 4.5 is available from a few different carriers what kind of future do these phones have? The Bold will be out in the states soon and has a whole different GUI and an updated browser.. but will these features ever be available for the Curve or Pearl? Is the Curve even capable of running the Bolds O/S?

I'm assuming there will be minor updates to the 4.5 O/S as it continues to mature but will there ever be a new major release
    Considering that OS 4.5 is being made available for the 8700 which was released in November of 2005, and all newer devices will also get OS 4.5, these devices will continue to be workhorses.

I'm with a corporate IT team that supports about 4,500 BlackBerries. We STILL have a couple of 6200 devices in service, and about 18% or over 800 devices are pre 8700. As far as I know, other than the Mobitext service being discontinued making the first four BlackBerries ever produced unuseable, I'm not aware of any other BlackBerry being unable to still be used.

We can only learn from history... I would expect all 8xxx devices to still be working for at least two years if not considerably more!
    JerryD

There was never a doubt in my mind that the current gen wouldn't last us a short life time. I was wondering more so the potential that it had and if it already at this time matured in regards to it's operating system version 4.5. For whatever reason I don't see 4.6 ever being available.

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    Wow, are yall serious?? These are phones, not pc's. Im more than sure that the curve has a few more years under its belt. Especially considering the price of the bold or even the thunder whenever its released. Many of us are not BB fanatics, i know i wont pay top shelf price for a cell phone. Ill wait for the price to come down, which will be around the time to renew. And i know im speaking for the average consumer.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Next generation curve=javelin