As the BES / BB administrator for the agency I work for, I want to ... General Blackberry forum

orcberg no está en línea Stack level 2

Keeping up to date on OS versions

Advertisement

As the BES / BB administrator for the agency I work for, I want to be able to keep up on what the latest OS versions are out there. We use AT&T/Cingular and Verizon devices (I'm pushing toward moving exclusively to AT&T for better device selection). AT&T is easy to find the latest versions. Verizon is a pain. Is there some website that has a list of all the latest OS versions for each device on these carriers? Preferably one that's updated regularly as new versions are released.

We have a bunch of different devices in service, including some older ones (users are given models based on their preference) -- 7130e, 7250, 8100, 8300, 8703e, and 8830. We even have a couple 7750's still floating around that I'm trying to phase out.

Ranz no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me!

Re: Keeping up to date on OS versions

your answer is right here on pinstack someone usually works for these companies and usually gets info before it gets out, as far as other websites don't know...............anyone?

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

Look in the rim os section, we have a sticky post that has a list of most carriers. Click that , select your carrier then on the next screen select your BB model. You get a page with OS downloads for that device.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    312C4157

Here's the link.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...oad_sites.html

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

If you want to keep up on the latest from those specific carriers then you just have to monitor the download pages for those two carriers. It only gets tricky when you want the latest OS for a given model (regardless of carrier). In such cases, I recommend just monitoring Pinstack and BlackberryForums.

Really, though, in both cases you should be monitoring the forum sites. In a corporate environment you definitely don't want to release a new OS version to your users without testing and reading up. RIM doesn't provide release notes so your best alternative is your own testing coupled with the experiences of others on these forum sites.

Major OS updates are really pretty rare. It's not at all like how you have to constantly check Windows Updates for the latest patches and so on for your PC.
    Last edited by takeshi; 09-05-2007 at 09:46 AM.

orcberg no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by DCookSta
    Here's the link.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...oad_sites.html

I found that site, which helps for the AT&T end of things because they actually list the version numbers on the download page. The problem is Verizon because it doesn't seem to give the complete version number (just says 4.1). That's why I was looking for some sort of list so I can determine who can be updated. I do have some unassigned devices to use for testing of new OS versions before rolling them out to everyone.

Also, I didn't realize RIM doesn't do release notes (never really paid attention before). That's kind of lame actually -- you'd think they would tell you what their update is supposed to do.

PIN/ID
    312C4157

Quote Originally Posted by orcberg
    The problem is Verizon because it doesn't seem to give the complete version number (just says 4.1).
    I see what you mean, I just clicked to the Verizon site. Perhaps you could could the Verizon section of our forum.
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ess_users.html