Okay, We all know that BlackBerry OS is ridiciously secure when used with a BlackBerry ... General Blackberry forum

CybaCowboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21445DCA

Just How Secure is BlackBerry OS Under BIS?

Advertisement

Okay,

We all know that BlackBerry OS is ridiciously secure when used with a BlackBerry Enterprise Solution (BES) - this is the reason the operating system has been so popular with enterprise and Government customers for so long - but what about for BlackBerry Individual Solution (BIS) customers?

Really, just how secure is BlackBerry OS?

Have there ever been any known security issues (in ANY form)?

What is the possibility of someone secretly accessing your device's information (ala. Paris Hilton's SideKick/HipTop)?

By the way, viruses don't count - with only one or two minor exceptions, the only viruses for mobile devices that have existed have been "proof-of-concept" viruses, and none of these have knowingly made it "into the wild"...

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    The Pearl uses an ecryption algorithm called ECC (Elliptic Curve Cryptography)

Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) is emerging as an attractive public-key cryptosystem for mobile/wireless environments. Compared to traditional cryptosystems like RSA, ECC offers equivalent security with smaller key sizes, which results in faster computations, lower power consumption, as well as memory and bandwidth savings. This is especially useful for mobile devices which are typically limited in terms of their CPU, power and network connectivity. However, the true impact of any public-key cryptosystem can only be evaluated in the context of a security protocol. This presents a first estimate of the performance improvements that can be expected in SSL (Secure Socket Layer), the dominant security protocol on the Web today, by adding ECC support.

That being said here is exactly what the Pearl operates at when content protection is enabled.

Strong: 160 Bit ECC

Stronger: 283 Bit ECC

Strongest: 571 Bit ECC

Hopefully this will help some fellow users out there who are interested in knowing how secure their data is on a BB device.

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Wow.

I wasn't expecting that...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    well that eliminates all the gray area. now you know how well your device is protecting your data that is wirelessly transmitted.

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    That being said here is exactly what the Pearl operates at when content protection is enabled.

Strong: 160 Bit ECC

Stronger: 283 Bit ECC

Strongest: 571 Bit ECC
    The only thing that annoys me about using content protection is that when it's activated, it closes most applications after a very short period of time...

A real pain if you're in the middle of a post or a message and you have to stop for more than say, 30 seconds.

I guess it's the price you pay to stay secure though, a sign of the times...

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    hmmm i have never had that happen

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    I should add that Virex's comments refer to the BlackBerry Curve series also, not just the BlackBerry Pearl series (as his posts seem to suggest)... Not sure about other series/models.

Maybe you could clarify what current models/series your comments do or don't cover Virex?

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Quote Originally Posted by Virex View Post
    hmmm i have never had that happen
    After about 30 seconds (when my screen goes off), the Browser will close, even if I have a Web page open - some applications do this as well, but it's mostly restricted to the Browser.

It clearly tries to close most applications though - at times, I've had unsaved memos left open and when I've hit a letter key to bring the screen back on, there's a box asking if I want to save the memo before I close it (which I hadn't chosen to do)!

I know it's the content protection because this issue disappeared as soon as I turned content protection off last time, and I'm betting that tomorrow night I'll be able to report the same thing (I just turned content protection back on)...

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    well i used the pearl as reference because i am currently using a pearl

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Well at least we have the two most popular BlackBerry series covered...

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    yea and the more everyone keeps mentioning the curve, i cant wait to my my 8330 in may

PIN/ID
    21445DCA
    Off-topic, but what's the BlackBerry Curve 8330 do that the BlackBerry Curve 8300 doesn't?

The latest device we have here is the BlackBerry Curve 8310, which is exclusive to one specific network - everybody else has the BlackBerry Curve 8300...

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    the 8330 is CDMA and work off the EV-DO network

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Quote Originally Posted by CybaCowboy View Post
    Off-topic, but what's the BlackBerry Curve 8330 do that the BlackBerry Curve 8300 doesn't?

The latest device we have here is the BlackBerry Curve 8310, which is exclusive to one specific network - everybody else has the BlackBerry Curve 8300...

WiFi.

But if there IS WiFi I power up my laptop!... which moots the matter.

That is why I opted to upgrade to a Pearl instead of a Curve.

in- Men don't have curves -mode

PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    in- Men don't have curves -mode

lol thats funny