We had a customer pick up a used 9630 VZW for use on at&t this ... General Blackberry forum

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Question "Java Linking" - OTA Updates for BB devices

Advertisement

We had a customer pick up a used 9630 VZW for use on at&t this afternoon. Everything worked great on the unit and we set it up so they could have full use of all features (loaded at&t service books). They were happy and left smiling. Later that same evening (about 3 or 4 hours) they returned saying the phone just died on them. Further questioning brought a puzzling answer. They said the phone had "Java Update" showing on the screen with a progress bar prior to going solid black. We then plugged it in and saw that the battery was completely dead. We left it charging for about 5 or 10 minutes and the phone started booting back up. About midway through the boot cycle it popped up with a white screen with a progress bar. Above the bar is said "Linking Java". It went through the process twice in 15 minutes before it popped up to a "Restoring Backup" screen. Once the backup was restored it then reset and continued on a normal boot cycle.

Having worked with BB's for a while (very few on BES) this through me for a huge loop. Once I figured out that the phone had started doing an OTA update of the OS and the battery died during the process I felt better. What really throws me on this unit is that it was a 9630 from Verizon running on at&t's GSM network. I knew that they had addeed OTA's to the new BIS but was surprised to see that it recognized another carrier's equipment and upgraded it. Has anyone else seen this or was this a fluke on this particular unit and account.

As a side note, Customer had a Bold 9000 that completely died on them when they walked in originally.

Zo

Diffused no está en línea Stack level 3
    Since you said "used", did the previous owner use the Verizons Backup Assistant, and it was restoring their previously installed apps from that backup?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Not sure. CDMA antenna was shut off though since they were using it on at&t. I verified that before they left and after the phone rebooted. I am definitely going to keep an eye out and see if anyone else reports the same thing.

Zo