I'm trying to choose between the Blackberry 8320 or the Blackberry Pearl 8100 (red). The ... General Blackberry forum

Webby no está en línea Stack level 3

Is wifi really that necessary?

Advertisement

I'm trying to choose between the Blackberry 8320 or the Blackberry Pearl 8100 (red).

The T-Mobile rep told me that wifi is not that much of a difference from normal browsing.

supamansimon no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304feb1f

Re: Is wifi really that necessary?

to be honest i have the 8320 and i barely use wifi its a benefit if your going to use hotspots but i never do i would rather have GPS to be honest. i have an unlimited data plan which does everything wifi would do plus its more reliable i don't have to find a connection but thats my opinion.

jd885 no está en línea Stack level 3

I think it is, its faster and if your not a heavy internet user on your phone then you wont need the data plan... but if you are going to get a data plan anyways save the money and go with the sleek 8100 i have one and I LOVE IT.. but wi fi is cool

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

well outside us it might be cost efficient, the unlimited transfer plans are expensive over here.. and prices for 1mb is 2-4$ , so wifi outside us is maybe more used.

Anyway, its known to drain your battery, and do you really transfer that much data when your on the run? I dont.. at work I have a computer, at home I''ve got several computers.. no need for a phone with wifi also.. hehe..

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Yes WiFi is necessary.
    Is it for everyone?...No.
    But for those like myself that use WiFi everyday, everywhere, it's great.
    And I too, have several computers. All with WiFi.

One of the great advantages offered only by RIM is the choice of BlackBerry models equipped with or without WiFi, GPS, in different sizes and form factors.

PabloTX no está en línea Stack level 1

I see the benefit of WiFi in two areas: browsing and VoIP.

The only handheld I've used that I've really wanted to browse on is the iPhone/iPod Touch. So with that, you need high speed internet, and WiFi is really necessary. Even if it was blazingly fast, I would not want to surf anything more than a WAP site on the BB (built in browser or Opera Mini).

VoIP would be nice, so something like T-Mobile's @Home service would obviously require it. But for $15 more a month, I'd rather just have more minutes and completely ditch any home phone service.

So for me, WiFi would be nice, but not necessary, and certainly behind GPS if I had to choose.

s16ri no está en línea Stack level 5

Yes i agree that WiFi would be nice, but not necessary.

jswitzer31 no está en línea Stack level 2

Wifi is great to me. I pay 9.99 a month for Hotspot@Home and use UMA calling (free under H@H) whenever I am at home or pickup a wifi network. I have 300 anytime minutes but I used over 1500 last month for free on H@H.

Web over wifi is faster as well.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

hchai no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

For me Wifi is necessary. It is not for the internet, BB's small screen makes very little difference between Wifi and EDGE (at least for me). However, UMA is the reason to have the Wifi. I can comfortablely (almost) use my phone at home now, thanks to UMA. But if you live in an area with excellent T-mo coverage, then that is another story

exciter no está en línea Stack level 3

I rarely use the wifi on my phone, but I do love having that feature. Occasionally I work on a job site where I receive no cell phone reception. But I log onto the homeowners wifi and I can use my email and instant messaging.

seabirdone no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20DE5001

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Wish I had optional wi fi for my pearl. I have Unl data for $15 equiv in UK. Step outside Europe and I get ripped for $15per MB by TMO. Yes per mb. Heads up for option but not on pearl in UK yet!!

firemanferch no está en línea Stack level 2

i have unlimited data w/ TMO so i don't really see the need for wifi but i would much rather have GPS than wifi

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I'm trying to choose between the Blackberry 8320 or the Blackberry Pearl 8100 (red).

The T-Mobile rep told me that wifi is not that much of a difference from normal browsing.
    There's no universal answer to questions like this. The question is really do you need Wifi and only you can answer that.