My friend and I both have 7290s. Since her first bill, my friend has a ... General Blackberry forum

gloomywood no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM me

Question Is this a 'virus' HELP PLEASE

Advertisement

My friend and I both have 7290s.

Since her first bill, my friend has a whole load of reports on her itemised bill stating

Blackberry.net x.x Kb

Each only comes up with a small amount of Kb, but they occur around 22:00 and midnight EVERY DAY.

I have never had any of these on my itemised bill.

We have the same call plan, same model, same provider etc.

Does she have a virus??

Her phone provider have no idea what it is and say she has to pay to send her phone back to them for an inspection.

Any ideas please?

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

Re: Is this a 'virus' HELP PLEASE

could be any number of things. it'd actaully check the applications she's got installed on there. it's almost like something is calling home or trying to update during those times. makes me wonder if i should look at my bill more cloesly
    are there even BB viruses out there?
    i haven't heard of any

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Viruses for Blackberrys are not widespread, and I am not sure if there is actually a confirmed case of one yet, but yes, it is possible for a Blackberry to receive a virus...

If you want to see if it has a virus, click here and download this program and run it (there is a free trial) and it will scan the system and see if there is a type of virus present.

http://www.smobilesystems.com/homepage/home.jsp

PIN/ID
    PM me

Thanks Digitalslack and N8 for these replies.

We did try asking the shop where she purchased her BB - the response one day was

"oh you have a blackberry fairy - put it in Google and you'll find loads of information"

I have tried this and beyond pictures of models of little women on leaves I can't find any references to a virus....

The next day a second assistant said

"Bring it in and we'll have to send it away"

Problem here is she then has to pay Ł50 for a replacement PHONE - they will not loan out a BB......

Helpful?? NO!!

But then I've had to teach these folk most of the stuff they now teach their customers.....

But this time, I'm at a loss to know what is going on or how to cure it.

Only idea I have is to wipe her BB and reload all the original software from the CD, but this has been happening since day one so my argument would be that she really should have a new BB provided free!

But as the vendors know so little, it would be good to be armed with the correct information on what is REALLY going on before we tackle them again!!

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Vendors are idiots....Sorry...No offense to anyone who happens to work for one (Because the people here actually seem to know what they are talking about), but from reading and helping people first hand, it seems as if the vendors don't even want to help anyone who experiences a problem. Probably because the average joe vendor isn't used to people going in and actually "Pimping out" their Blackberry. Either way, it seems as if you call a vendor, they refer you to RIM. You call RIM, they refer you back to a vendor.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by gloomywood

"oh you have a blackberry fairy - put it in Google and you'll find loads of information"

I have tried this and beyond pictures of models of little women on leaves I can't find any references to a virus....
    By the way-This here REALLY confused me...I am awake and done with coffee now, but it still confused me?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

The people in the shop were being smart.. and not in the nice way..
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

PIN/ID
    PM me

Well here in England I dont think the vendors have even heard of RIM....

I recall once the vendor asking me why it said RIM on the back of the BB.

As for applications - all she has on her BB is the original setup of a 7290. She knows little about how to use her BB and bought it as it was costing too much for us to keep in touch via texts

Using PIN is free and saved us both a fortune!

The vendors here do not know much at all about BBs. I even got offered a job as their BB 'expert' as they freely admit the staff are not trained on using BBs.

How can you claim to be a mobile communications company, yet know nothing about how to use one of the most popular devices???

I am at a loss as to how to get around their 'smart' attitude.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well, let me ask...Have you tried to download from smobilesystems yet to see if it finds anything on the device?

PIN/ID
    PM me

Hi N8

I have been to the website to see what is involved, but no point in me downloading the software as I don't have the BB in question!

Thanks for the suggestion and I will speak to her tomorrow about it.

It's now 01:20 here and I need to sleep.

Thanks for your help

pentace no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ to my knowledge. The only virus to ever get on a bb was in australlia last year when the world wide bb and sidekick email attack took place. It never hit the us or any othe country cause the os software did not support the attachment. But the ausii one did but that's been fixed in newer os versions. If you want http://www.trendmicro.com is a bb partner and has bb virus software but as of right now I would say don't waste your cash

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Interesting that Aus is mentioned there, since i started downloading extras, my 8700 seems to do strange things, I still don't want to think that it could a virus, but it certainly sounds like something i should look at as well......
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

PIN/ID
    PM me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Well she's been to the vendor again...

Todays excuse is that when she sends an email, they don't bill her immediately but check her usage later and this is what's showing up on her bill.

Problem is, I send loads of emails a day and have NEVER had this on any bill.

I also browse the web most days and again have not seen this on a bill.

I've had a bb since Jan 2005 and have never apparently used any of my 5Mb allocation.

So - is it MY bb that isn't billing correctly - or are the vendors still taking out of the wrong orifice??

Anyone willing to share HOW their service provider bills them for data usage?

If anyone is willing to chat to me about this, pin me pin:24f8bb95

Gloomywood