So, I was wondering: Does the carrier/service provider know the difference between email traffic and ... General Blackberry forum

CescoAiel no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

Question Is there a difference for the provider doing mail or internet with BES?

Advertisement

So, I was wondering:
    Does the carrier/service provider know the difference between email traffic and Internet browsing when you're using a BES server?

I am asking as I have had some really high bills with data roaming charges, despite having an Int'l Enterprise account with my provider, and I am considering switching providers, as one of their competitors has a better deal.

(My current package is EUR 70 with unlimited emails in NL, 10 MB in partner countries and 4MB in the rest of the world. The other package claims 'unlimited email' without country restrictions for EUR 55)

It matters though whether Internet Browsing through the BES server is recognised as 'non-email' traffic...

TIA!
    Francesco
    Blackberry 8707v (3G/UMTS) on Vodafone

Djmarbll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219C9716
    That's weird because if you're on the BES, your email and internet service should be unlimited. Now there might be certain websites that are banned thru an IT policy, but you shouldn't be charged for data, unless you're connecting online while out of the country.

markgallant no está en línea Stack level 3
    You have to make sure your device is set to use the BlackBerry Browser though and not the Internet or WAP browser.

CescoAiel no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    But any app capable of using the BES server (or MDS) for data-comm should be indiscernible from email as far as the carrier is concerned, right?...
    Francesco
    Blackberry 8707v (3G/UMTS) on Vodafone

Virex no está en línea Banned for Content theft
    PIN/ID
    CUSHION
    i think the keyword is your roaming out of your normal network. some carriers may have roaming restrictions even when on a BES plan