Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been trying in vain to find a decent streaming media app for my BB8800; ... General Blackberry forum

ablefton no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a0f56c

Is RIM really that hard to program for?

Advertisement

I've been trying in vain to find a decent streaming media app for my BB8800; but all streaming apps I've tried have been flashes in the pan...w/no sizzle. I see that Pandora (pandora.com) now is offering a streaming app for the iPhone 3G, and Tom Conrad, the CTO of Pandora is quoted as follows: "...It (the 3G) is so far ahead, ... . It's realy hard to develop software for RIM." Source: PCMag.com 7/10/08

So what are the folks at RIM doing? Is the BOLD really going to be ... bold. Will it be the iPhone 'killer' that will let us business types stream music and news, etc.?

I've contacted other software developers who I'd hoped would be porting to the BB, but so far none seem interested: It's either Smartphone Windows or iPhone. I want Quicken, eWallet, Pandora, a really good streaming Internet radio, etc. for the Blackberry. What's so difficult?

Does anyone have a good notion if RIM is really that hard to program for. And if so, what's to be done?

-------------------------------
    Andrew (Gaithersburg, MD)

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    there is already a way to get internet radio streamed to your BB...but it only works with certain Operating Systems that have been updated to access this ability as well as the ability to capture video...no it's not hard to program for RIM as it's all JAVA based...they just make sure that they do it right and that it will work without problems before they release it to the masses...yes you could have all this stuff presently but then you'd run into many issues that RIM doesn't want to have to deal with but apple is willing to deal with

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    I think the streaming works with 4.3 and up, more or less, mostly more.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27
    correct jblackfish...too bad TMo is still on 4.2...oh for ablefton the site is moodio.fm and is the best place so far that i've seen for streaming internet radio and it's free

mcky no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post
    correct jblackfish...too bad TMo is still on 4.2...oh for ablefton the site is moodio.fm and is the best place so far that i've seen for streaming internet radio and it's free
    I must second u on that.... moodio.fm is really good. I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and it works for me. But i think u will only get the performance u need using OS 4.3 and up.
    Also check out these "forums" from Pinstack if u decide to use moodio.fm.

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=79349
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=78311

PC: http://www.moodio.fm
    OTA: m.moodio.fm

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    If you happen to have the 8120 as a spare (as I do ) you can load 4.3 on it and stream using m.moodio.fm.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

emkwan no está en línea Stack level 2
    Iagrea!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

emkwan no está en línea Stack level 2
    The media software realy does need improving~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

maz94protege no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    296C692F
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yea I'm at 4.3 OS on my 8830. I'm still waiting for the 4.5 Update. Just think, sine I'm on verizon I can't get a wifi enabled BB. But all other carriers can.. That makes me feel like crap, but oh well, RIM is a great company and I have yet to have a problem.

TorturedNacho no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    208EB87C
    4.2 .. tmo needs to get on the ball.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    You only have to go to the developers forums to find out how they feel.
    They're flocking to Apple because of their use of platform, code used, and cooperation.
    All of which, unfortunately, are sorely lacking with RIM.
    In regard to your other comments, I share your dismay with an os that doesn't provide native storage, nor default to consumer installed cards for 3rd party app downloads - and fails to provide for streaming internet radio, video, and podcasts.
    Hopefully RIM is on top of all of this. You can let them know how you feel at bbsuggestions@rim.com

Leetneo no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    316D16C7
    good luck, Jim's a smart fellow, have fun...

alicerandall no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post
    there is already a way to get internet radio streamed to your BB...but it only works with certain Operating Systems that have been updated to access this ability as well as the ability to capture video...no it's not hard to program for RIM as it's all JAVA based...they just make sure that they do it right and that it will work without problems before they release it to the masses...yes you could have all this stuff presently but then you'd run into many issues that RIM doesn't want to have to deal with but apple is willing to deal with

I am absolutely agreed with the above suggestion. The whole program is java based for ensuring the reliability.

www.slashedpricetag.com

ablefton no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a0f56c

Thumbs up Good feedback! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. As with most things programming-wise, the truth (to some extent) lies in both camps. There are things I realy like about Blackberry, which is why I keep buying them. Not having 3G isn't one of them (at least as far as the 8800 and AT&T are concerned). However, after the 3G iPhone debuted yesterday, and Apple/AT&T had an activation failure I can see that while the iPhone may be ready for 'prime time' AT&T's 3G network isn't. So, Apple/AT&T's 'bloom is off the rose'. I've also read that AT&T's 3G network accessibility is very limited with downloads hovering around 300kbps, vs the advertised 1mbps.

For anyone that's interested go see: http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...report_3g.html (Activation Takes Forever)

Also, having to take the iPhone in for a battery change/tuneup to the tune of $89 isn't my idea of fun...or, having to fend off Apple staff trying to sell you the latest Job's innovation. But, giving the 'devil his due', I'd say that RIM most likely is (finally) starting to pay attention. Cheers for competition.

(Sorry for the cliche-ridden message)
    -------------------------------
    Andrew (Gaithersburg, MD)

untjoker no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ablefton View Post
    I've been trying in vain to find a decent streaming media app for my BB8800; but all streaming apps I've tried have been flashes in the pan...w/no sizzle. I see that Pandora (pandora.com) now is offering a streaming app for the iPhone 3G, and Tom Conrad, the CTO of Pandora is quoted as follows: "...It (the 3G) is so far ahead, ... . It's realy hard to develop software for RIM." Source: PCMag.com 7/10/08

So what are the folks at RIM doing? Is the BOLD really going to be ... bold. Will it be the iPhone 'killer' that will let us business types stream music and news, etc.?

I've contacted other software developers who I'd hoped would be porting to the BB, but so far none seem interested: It's either Smartphone Windows or iPhone. I want Quicken, eWallet, Pandora, a really good streaming Internet radio, etc. for the Blackberry. What's so difficult?

Does anyone have a good notion if RIM is really that hard to program for. And if so, what's to be done?

Also, you have to remember you're going off of an EDGE connection and everyone who programs knows that. When the Bold comes out with HSDPA then streaming apps would be more available I think.
    Yes, I've been diagnosed with Phantom Vibration Disorder.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast