Hi, I am Newbie to BB - I am planning to wipe both data and ... General Blackberry forum

nsvz no está en línea Stack level 1

Is OS reinstall reqd after Wipe ?

Advertisement

Hi,

I am Newbie to BB - I am planning to wipe both data and app on my BB8320 due to a backup communication issue. My questions are
    (a) Would the Wipe process need a OS re-install ?
    (b) As my BB is an unlocked one (T-mob), do i have to go thru the process of unlocking again after the wipe ?

Rgds

-N

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    Quote Originally Posted by nsvz View Post
    Hi,

I am Newbie to BB - I am planning to wipe both data and app on my BB8320 due to a backup communication issue. My questions are
    (a) Would the Wipe process need a OS re-install ?
    (b) As my BB is an unlocked one (T-mob), do i have to go thru the process of unlocking again after the wipe ?

Rgds

-N
    No and No. Once unlocked it will stay that way. When you wipe the handheld through the options, security options screen it just erases all info and programs from the phone but the base OS stays the same. Hope it helps.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    a) If you do a wipe from the Options/Security Menu then no you will not have to reload the Device Software. If you do a wipe that removes all applications, then yes you will have to reload the Device Software.

b) No, once unlocked, it will always be unlocked.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

That really helped. Thanks for the quick response.

-N

Hi,

After the wipe and subsequent data restore, my computer is unable to recognize the media card (2GB) and displays the msg "Please insert a However i don't have any issue accessing the media card on the BB. Can play/see photo and movie etc.

usman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207717F1
    Hi,

After the wipe and subsequent data restore, my computer is unable to recognize the media card (2GB) and displays the msg "Please insert a drive into Drive D:". However i don't have any issue accessing the media card on the BB. Can play/see photo and movie etc. Pl let me know if there are any settings to resolve this issue

Thanks

-N
    You will need to enable disk use on the media card

Options> media card> mass storage should be enabled and then it should read it on the PC

Encrypted Media Card Issue after Wipe

Hi,

Recetly i wiped my handset (Option->security option->General setting Wipe Handheld) and ended up getting the following msg for my media card (2GB SanDisk).

"A media card has been inserted that contains encrypted content which will be unaccessible by this device.".

Now I am unable to view any of the photo's and the all the files have a ".jpg.rem" extension. Copying these photo's to notebook and removing .rem did not help either.

Do i still stand a chance to recover these photo's ?.

Hi,

Recetly i wiped my handset (Option->security option->General setting Wipe Handheld) and ended up getting the following msg for my media card (2GB SanDisk).

"A media card has been inserted that contains encrypted content which will be unaccessible by this device.".

Now I am unable to view any of the photo's and the all the files have a ".jpg.rem" extension. Copying these photo's to notebook and removing .rem did not help either.

Do i still stand a chance to recover these photo's ?.
    If the memory card is in the original phone prior to doing the wipe go to menu, options, security options, general settings, and turn content protection to disable. (or if already disabled enable it , save, disable it.) If the memory card is in another device you will either need to format the card and erase the info on it or get the original phone back and turn the content protection off. When you have the memory card in the phone with content protection on it encrypts the files (hence the .rem extension) and the phone that puts the encryption there is the only one that can decrypt it. Hope it helps.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Wouldn't it be better to remove the media card before the wipe so the wipe doesn't affect the card?

Quote Originally Posted by lucky13mt View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Wouldn't it be better to remove the media card before the wipe so the wipe doesn't affect the card?
    Hindsight is 20/20.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I routinely wipe my Curve 8310. The SanDisk 2GB card is left in place during the wipe with no consequences.

To perform the wipe I use the menu choice, options, security, general, press menu key, choose " wipe handheld".

After wiping, the BlackBerry is returned to it's as new, out of the box state. All my data, preferences, and settings are removed. From here I enjoy a fresh start.

The reason I freely use this feature is that I like to try a wide variety of 3rd party software some of which ends up corrupting or adversely affecting performance. Thus wiping provides me with an easy way to start fresh, regain lost memory, all quickly & easily.

I don't bother removing the microSD card with all my photos, music, & other files as the wipe does not touch the card.

BlackBerry by RIM.
    Simply Brilliant!

via: BlackBerry 8310

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I routinely wipe my Curve 8310. The SanDisk 2GB card is left in place during the wipe with no consequences.

To perform the wipe I use the menu choice, options, security, general, press menu key, choose " wipe handheld".

After wiping, the BlackBerry is returned to it's as new, out of the box state. All my data, preferences, and settings are removed. From here I enjoy a fresh start.

The reason I freely use this feature is that I like to try a wide variety of 3rd party software some of which ends up corrupting or adversely affecting performance. Thus wiping provides me with an easy way to start fresh, regain lost memory, all quickly & easily.

I don't bother removing the microSD card with all my photos, music, & other files as the wipe does not touch the card.

BlackBerry by RIM.
    Simply Brilliant!

via: BlackBerry 8310
    That was the precise reason i wiped the handset. Only difference was photos in the sd card were encrypted which i am struggling to recover now. After the wipe, .jpg.rem files are not getting decrypted and hence i am unable to view them.

Appreciate any inputs to restore the .rem files.

wkdlady no está en línea Stack level 1
    how do i wipe my BB8320 can u give me a step by step plz it has an error 547 on it and cant find anything anywhere else

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    You can go here for help http://forums.pinstack.com/f74/guide_to_blackberry_jvm_error_codes_listed-1791/