Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hey all I'm on TMO's network and I like my service, however I'm kind of ... General Blackberry forum

peguero no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

Is it worth switching carriers for a device?

Advertisement

hey all

I'm on TMO's network and I like my service, however I'm kind of tired of always being at the back of the line when it comes to the latest and greatest devices.

Why is that? Doesn't TMO have enough customers in the U.S? Doesn't mean anything that TMO is part of a global company while AT&T is only national?

Is it all about costs per device?

Anyone switch from TMO to another carrier? Which one, why and how do you like it so far?

just looking for some feedback, thanks in advance
    5RAWMINUTES!

"Things that you want to change in the world have to start inside yourself. You have to be thinking. You have to be resisting. You have to be talking."
    – George Carlin

PIN/ID
    LESS
    AT&T is still global

Well sometimes you have to dow hat you have to do. The love for new devices is a good reason.

paullamm no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319b4998
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~imagine how us Sprint users feel!

PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by RSCStacker View Post
    AT&T is still global

Thanks for the clarification-

AT&T 72.9 Million customers

Deutshe Telekom (owners of TMO) 114 Miillion customers

You think they would have some leverage to get some new devices first.

(yes im hating on AT&T getting exclusives on Iphone and BOLD)
    5RAWMINUTES!

"Things that you want to change in the world have to start inside yourself. You have to be thinking. You have to be resisting. You have to be talking."
    – George Carlin

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by paullamm View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~imagine how us Sprint users feel!

for real!
    sprint does not ever seem to get the latest and greatest. at least not from RIM. if you want the instinct then sprint is a great option but I don't want the instinct I want a newer blackberry. come on sprint play your cards right and get the STORM!! or the Javelin, or SOMETHING cool even the bold would be nice. but I fear we are in for a long wait before sprint will carry any of these devices.

crying shame!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0
    Quote Originally Posted by peguero View Post
    hey all

I'm on TMO's network and I like my service, however I'm kind of tired of always being at the back of the line when it comes to the latest and greatest devices.
    This drives me crazy as well. I even bought an unlocked 8120 a few months before t-mo had it cause I couldn't stand how freaking long it took for them to get it. My theory is there are a couple reasons:

A. With their OS upgrade rollouts, they at least claim to prioritize bug-free operation over latest and greatest. As all of us who know how problem-ridden RIM's betas can be, this might be a good idea. Perhaps they have a similar priority with devices--let the other guys find (and have to provide costly support for) the lemons, they go with tried and true.

B. They are big and to the extent that they're able, I think they can comfortably rest on their Gold Plated (compared to the other providers) Customer Service Record and not bother trying to excell in providing those of us comfortable on the "bleeding edge" with the devices we want. The vast majority of their income stream comes from people who privelege reliability over new gizmos.

Ultimately, I've decided to stick with them for reasons of reliability, great customer service, fantastic data prices (here and international). I'll just go the unlocked route when I _need_ a new device that they won't carry. One nice thing about hat is that I'm liberated from the periodic 2-year contract bullshit that they extort you with to get a reasonably priced device.
    Last edited by astroboy; 11-05-2008 at 07:42 PM.

PIN/ID
    I'm with you Astroboy-

I had a long, long quarrel with VZE DSL/phone service and I refuse to use their wireless. I just cannot trust them nor their customer service which doesn't exist.

AT&T has issues in the building where I work and in my home area, however in general it seems okay. Im just hesitant to switch because for the most part TMO has been very responsive with their customer serivce.

C'MON TMO, throw your weight around get us some deals with hot handsets- LOL
    5RAWMINUTES!

– George Carlin

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I am in this boat right now. There is a phone that I want that T-Mo does not carry and I don't see them ever carrying it.

HOWEVER, I am running into an issue I thought would be solved by now and that is reception. Over the last 8 weeks, my 8120 has dropped calls before they even connect. I sporadically lose signal on 2 phones (my 8120 on contract and a prepaid phone), and my email is sporadic also (I sent a few emails but haven't gotten replies yet).

I honestly don't care about coverage with AT&T because:

1) I used AT&T before when they were Houston Cellular. I only ported to T-Mo because of the better selection of phones and cheaper prices for voice and data (even though I have had 21 phones, mostly warranty replacements, since 2003).

2) I use my mom's phone alot for calls which are never dropped and are very clear.

I don't mind the slightly higher data, messaging and voice costs as long as I don't drop calls in my own house or anywhere else I go.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 11-05-2008 at 10:57 PM.

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Why is that? Doesn't TMO have enough customers in the U.S? Doesn't mean anything that TMO is part of a global company while AT&T is only national?
    Yes ATT wireless is only a national company but its one of the biggest phone companies in the US and has been around for quite some time

Another reason TMO doesn't always have the latest and greatest is because its not a publically traded company. companies like ATT and VZ are publically traded and therefore are always trying to expand and raise revenue to increase stock prices and the only way this happeneds is having the newest devices and the newest services that they can charge for that come with new devices

Hope this helps

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Personally I don't think I'd switch carriers just to get a device faster...only for something I wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

My CDMA carrier is quite limited to new berries. Aside from the extra memory in my 8330 I really have nothing to hold me over until they MAYBE get the Storm in the new year.

I tell ya, I really wanna switch for the bold, but the Storm might be enough to keep me where I am if it comes soon enough.

lacroixn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    27FFB707
    Yes I am tempted was just looking at the prices on ATT website. Looking at those prices I guess I will have to stay with my company, new phone or not!
    Dont sweat the small stuff, hell dont sweat anything!

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    hey all

I'm on TMO's network and I like my service, however I'm kind of tired of always being at the back of the line when it comes to the latest and greatest devices.......................
    You have to look at everything. I like the latest devices too but I had to switch from T-Mo to Alltel to get good signal service where I live. Not having a signal is more important than ANY device when you don't have it.

Also to be considered (especially for people who live where service is good with most carriers) is the price of the plan that works for you, the device that pleases you and works for you, the customer service, etc.

You have to prioritze what you want and evaluate. It's different for everyone so different advice is based largely the different opinions which is based on different situations, likes and dislikes. Let us know what you decide.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I am new to the forum and from all the reading, it seems like Americans like to switch providers constantly.

I would never switch providers because another provider offers better phones.

I pay a small premium to get better service. If they don't offer the phone I want, I get it else where.

My only criteria in selecting a provider is GSM.

I will not use a CDMA provider no matter how cheap the price plan is.

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    Never switch because the phone looks HOT or whatever. It's all about the service! I was thinking about switching a few months back to ATT because I wanted the BOLD. Next thing you know Javelin will put out for T-Mobile so I'm staying. I will never try to make that decision again.
    T-Mobile HTC Touch Pro2 & I'm not coming back! :D

--HeavyC.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I am in this boat right now. There is a phone that I want that T-Mo does not carry and I don't see them ever carrying it.

HOWEVER, I am running into an issue I thought would be solved by now and that is reception. Over the last 8 weeks, my 8120 has dropped calls before they even connect. I sporadically lose signal on 2 phones (my 8120 on contract and a prepaid phone), and my email is sporadic also (I sent a few emails but haven't gotten replies yet).

I honestly don't care about coverage with AT&T because:

1) I used AT&T before when they were Houston Cellular. I only ported to T-Mo because of the better selection of phones and cheaper prices for voice and data (even though I have had 21 phones, mostly warranty replacements, since 2003).

2) I use my mom's phone alot for calls which are never dropped and are very clear.

I don't mind the slightly higher data, messaging and voice costs as long as I don't drop calls in my own house or anywhere else I go.

Forgot to mention those emails were to Customer Support and my web browsing has slowed to a snail's pace even with WiFi on at home. I purchased the HotSpot @ Home Service and that has helped some but not much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast