Hello all... I am on a corp BB network and the company provided us all ... General Blackberry forum

holder322 no está en línea Stack level 1

Is 8703 an upgrade over 7520

Advertisement

Hello all...

I am on a corp BB network and the company provided us all with 7520 models a little over a year ago. I'm interested in upgrading to something newer, and our provider (Alltel) only offers the 8703 and 7130. I prefer the full keyboard, so I think the 8703 is better suited for me.

Here's the question: I'm considering upgrading (at my own expense) to the 8703, but is it worth it in your opinion? How much of a different experience will I get using the 8703? If the cost turns out to be prohibitive (like retail price) I won't do it. But if it's the corporate price, I can live with that. So long as it's actually worth the trouble and money.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: Is 8703 an upgrade over 7520

Will your company allow you to put a personal BB on their network? I would check with the IT department beofre you shell out your own cash.

I used a 7520 a couple years ago. The 87xx series is a bit newer technology, but I don't recall any great differences. I was able to go from one to the other with no problems.

If the company is providing the 7520 at no cost to you, why not stick with it? If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157

The 8703 is a bit faster all around and has a better screen. There may be further options if they release OS 4.2 for the series. Other than that not too many other differences.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

I should have been specific: I plan to ask if I can do this through our company phone agent. If not, then I won't bother. I don't know yet whether it's possible, though I know some in the company have gotten spiffy cell phones on their own through our agent.

And maybe you're right. The more I think about it the more I wonder whether it's worth it.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you need to check with your Blackberry administrator, not the phone agent. Assuming you do get a personal phone and then have it put on the BES, they will lock down your device with policvies to protect company information, which is a good thing but it will take away some of your freedoms. Typical things you may be limited in could include: 1) forced screenlock requiring password at X minutes of inactivity, 2) forced screenlock requiring password regardless of activity, 3) no longer able to install programs, etc. In the future when you decide to take your Blackberry off the BES, those policies will stay on the device. It will take a real pro to get the policies off and the process will include but be more extensive than wiping the device.

Here's the deal... What I should have said was I was going to check with our IT person and have her find out if this is possible. She says I can make the switch buying the BB through the company at our cost, $106. They will then sync it with company email, etc once it comes in. So this wouldn't be a personal BB that I'm buying independent of the company. They'll simply order as one of ours and I'll reimburse the company. Sorry for the confusion.

So, the question remains whether this is worth it. I don't know. I'll probably sleep on it.

Thanks to all
    Last edited by holder322; 04-02-2007 at 05:01 PM.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's a personal judgement call. I'd say that the 87XX is worthwhile over the 7XXX but YMMV.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

The 8703e has twice the memory and a much better screen than your current device.
    Also has the ability to use MP3 ringtones.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~dude the 8703 has twice the memory and with sprint comes with mobile broad band data as far as alltel goes i cant say but i had a 7520. And it sucked i hated it and even with its limitations the 8703e was worth the three plus hundred and
    All the other trouble and expence
    The device can run a small network
    And still fit in a pocket so give thought to what you need and what you want and look around i swore never another berry untill i say the speeds posted on sprints
    EVdo service at third party sites
    Were the final push i needed its
    Way faster then cable or dsl so